Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictsteve View Post
How quickly a Tea Partier came along and proved the point that the only compromise they will accept is the one in which they get exactly what they want. The Tea Party is a group of people with an obsessive hatred for anyone that doesn't think, look and act like they do.
Just more lying BS from the lefty liberal side. How do you guys look yourself in the mirror each day? I note you didn't post a viable link to your assertions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What are they not compromising on that is in the best interests of this country?
They refused to compromise on a lot of things during the previous Congress. Including a budget.

What is ALWAYS in the best interests of this country is a functioning Congress. And for Congress to function, compromise has to happen.

I get that you support the ideology of the Tea Party. Idealism is wonderful. I'm an idealist myself. But to make things work requires pragmatism.

You asked what made the Tea Party extremist. And the answer is their uncompromising ways. They may be more willing to compromise this go-round. Or they may not. But I am a mainstream, average American. I know a good number of people who consider themselves Tea Party. And the fact is that when I have a political discussion with them, I am struck by and I admire their idealism. Our country was built on ideals. But it runs on compromise. The entire legislative system is built for compromise. When you refuse to compromise, you hold the legislative system hostage. And that's an act of extremism.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They refused to compromise on a lot of things during the previous Congress. Including a budget.

What is ALWAYS in the best interests of this country is a functioning Congress. And for Congress to function, compromise has to happen.

I get that you support the ideology of the Tea Party. Idealism is wonderful. I'm an idealist myself. But to make things work requires pragmatism.

You asked what made the Tea Party extremist. And the answer is their uncompromising ways. They may be more willing to compromise this go-round. Or they may not. But I am a mainstream, average American. I know a good number of people who consider themselves Tea Party. And the fact is that when I have a political discussion with them, I am struck by and I admire their idealism. Our country was built on ideals. But it runs on compromise. The entire legislative system is built for compromise. When you refuse to compromise, you hold the legislative system hostage. And that's an act of extremism.
Why does the compromise have to always be on the right? Why are you claiming that they were card carrying Teapartiers? Give an example of what they wouldn't compromise on that was in the BEST interests of this country? I'll wait! A congress should be about that not just functioning for God's sake! NO compromise should occur on things that are bad for this country. It's really that simple and that's not extremism.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Why does the compromise have to always be on the right? Why are you claiming that they were card carrying Teapartiers? Give an example of what they wouldn't compromise on that was in the BEST interests of this country? I'll wait! A congress should be about that not just functioning for God's sake! NO compromise should occur on things that are bad for this country. It's really that simple and that's not extremism.
Your request is a bullsh** request. The minute you modified it with "BEST interests of this country" you made it into a bullsh** request. What YOU or the Tea Party consider the BEST interest is not necessarily what I consider the BEST interest. That's the WHOLE POINT. We don't all agree on the RIGHT direction. We don't all agree on what's in the country's BEST interest. Millions and millions and millions of people, and we don't even agree on how to hang a roll of toilet paper. We elect representatives to the legislature so that they can argue about those things, fight over them, make proposals, shoot them down, and ultimately....COMPROMISE on what our goals are, and how best to achieve those goals. Clearly, people who passionately believe they are right are idealists. When they refuse to compromise, when they refuse to even consider the validity of other people's opinions, it is simple, and it is extremism. What YOU think is bad, I may think is good. And guess what, I'm your equal. My opinion is just as valid as yours. Your opinion doesn't count for more than my opinion. The job of your representatives is to convince my representatives that YOU are right. And if not, to compromise in order to have a functioning government. Bottom line, I as a mainstream average American, want a functioning government. Your insistence that it shouldn't function unless it's doing what you want is where you cross over into extremism.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your request is a bullsh** request. The minute you modified it with "BEST interests of this country" you made it into a bullsh** request. What YOU or the Tea Party consider the BEST interest is not necessarily what I consider the BEST interest. That's the WHOLE POINT. We don't all agree on the RIGHT direction. We don't all agree on what's in the country's BEST interest. Millions and millions and millions of people, and we don't even agree on how to hang a roll of toilet paper. We elect representatives to the legislature so that they can argue about those things, fight over them, make proposals, shoot them down, and ultimately....COMPROMISE on what our goals are, and how best to achieve those goals. Clearly, people who passionately believe they are right are idealists. When they refuse to compromise, when they refuse to even consider the validity of other people's opinions, it is simple, and it is extremism. What YOU think is bad, I may think is good. And guess what, I'm your equal. My opinion is just as valid as yours. Your opinion doesn't count for more than my opinion. The job of your representatives is to convince my representatives that YOU are right. And if not, to compromise in order to have a functioning government. Bottom line, I as a mainstream average American, want a functioning government. Your insistence that it shouldn't function unless it's doing what you want is where you cross over into extremism.
Why is it BS for a party or politician not to vote for things that aren't in the best interests of our country? It's only common sense what is not good for our country and I base my opinions on common sense. Shouldn't we all? There are some things that are just a given not about differing opinions. No, no compromising on things that harm our country and its citizens. If you can't figure out what harms them then I don't know what to tell you. An opinion that is contrary to that isn't valid then. It's an individual agenda and I care about the overall consequences of Americans as a whole. Once again, it isn't about what I personally want but all of the above.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They will lose the Tea Party Grassroots then at that moment
Not really, tea party people do vote for establishment candidates they deem acceptable.

What you are right about, and what many liberals don't get, is that a good candidate need to appeal to both moderates/independents and the tea party.

The problem with Romney was his lack of conservative track record. He can say whatever he want, but the tea party voters are not going to trust him. An establishment candidate with a better record, can easily win the support from the tea party grassroots.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You do realize that the Tea Party Grassroots, are Independents.
Instead of pushing, you need to pull them.
Mitt Romney & John McCain had the Establishment base, but pulled no independent voters.
Ron Paul on the other hand, had the Establishment base by proxy. They were not going to let a Democrat hold the power. But Ron Paul also had the Independent silent majority too, which would have put a Republican in the Whitehouse.

So, Who is really costing the GOP elections?
The New World Order? The Globalist? The MONEY that makes the world go around?
They don't care if it is a Republican or Democrat, as long as they are a Globalist Progressive, protecting the ruling rich.
The media is just the propaganda wing of the Global New World Order Progressives. Where Freedom & Liberty, disrupts the plan

The reason Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are already getting the attack launched early, by big MONEY, at them both.
You keep thinking that, and you can then also keep wondering how the GOP keep losing presidential elections even though the candidate pandered plenty to the Tea Party.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Not really, tea party people do vote for establishment candidates they deem acceptable.

What you are right about, and what many liberals don't get, is that a good candidate need to appeal to both moderates/independents and the tea party.

The problem with Romney was his lack of conservative track record. He can say whatever he want, but the tea party voters are not going to trust him. An establishment candidate with a better record, can easily win the support from the tea party grassroots.
It would be next to impossible for a candidate to appeal to several different groups with different ideals and opinions without sacrificing their own principles though. These are the same kinds of politicians that flip flop on the issues after being elected and one or more of those groups ends up being ticked off then. Give me an honest candidate that has the courage of their convictions and sticks by them whom I share the same beliefs with and he'll get my vote in a heartbeat.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
OldGlory"It would be next to impossible for a candidate to appeal to several different groups with different ideals and opinions without sacrificing their own principles though."

Nonsense, it is called compromise. No group comprises 50% plus 1 of the POTUS electorate; appeal to just one fringe wing, and you are DOA.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
It would be next to impossible for a candidate to appeal to several different groups with different ideals and opinions without sacrificing their own principles though. These are the same kinds of politicians that flip flop on the issues after being elected and one or more of those groups ends up being ticked off then. Give me an honest candidate that has the courage of their convictions and sticks by them whom I share the same beliefs with and he'll get my vote in a heartbeat.
The thing is, you don't need a perfect candidate to get the tea party votes, you just need to do better than Romney and Chris Christie. Scott Walker seem to be a candidate who can appeal to both sides. I also think Jeb Bush will be able to get most tea party votes, because he actually have conservative achievements.

No candidates are truly honest, but most candidates do have conservative achievements that will make the tea party trust them. In fact Romney realized he cannot convince voters he is a changed man, so he decided to lie about the fact that he has flip flopped, even though it is all on tape. That makes him look really dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections