Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM

23,662 posts, read 23,982,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the problem with the Tea Party is that they make it clear they despise anyone who is different from them. They act like the Taliban. That is not an asset to any political party outside a theocracy.
If you're going to be in Vegas any time this year, let me know. I'll take you out for a beverage (my treat), and let you see just how wrong you are about the TEA Party movement. It seems pretty clear that you haven't had any exposure to the people you're denigrating, and I'm offering you a chance to rectify that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,216,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, forcing me to accept it, against my faith. That is against my 1st amendment right. Freedom of religion, I serve no man.
No one is forcing you to accept anything. When gay marriage becomes legal nationwide this summer, it won't affect anyone besides gay people.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
No one is forcing you to accept anything. When gay marriage becomes legal nationwide this summer, it won't affect anyone besides gay people.
And insurance agencies who would now have to take the partner of a current policy holder. If they are healthy, it is a good thing as they will subsidize the sicker and elderly.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Then why the need for the 3/5 compromise?
Why not say, you have to give up slavery, to join our union.....
You think all the states would have become their own nations, if that had happened?

The federal government didn't want representation, where it was not really going to be(blacks could not vote) in the US House of Reps. The south would have dominated the representation and presidential electoral votes, if the 3/5 compromise wasn't signed. If women didn't have the right to vote in the majority of states, blacks certainly were not going to be allowed(States control the vote of the people of the State)
The 3/5 compromise was so that the southern states could count slaves into their population numbers because at that time more people lived in the Northern states. So for every 15 slaves someone owned, that counted as 5 people.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
No, forcing me to accept it, against my faith. That is against my 1st amendment right. Freedom of religion, I serve no man.
Making gay marriage legal isn't the same thing as forcing you to accept gay marriage. You are free to never accept gay marriage, that isn't the issue, the issue is that gays are being denied marriage because those that can't accept it think their needs to be laws that deny gay marriages.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,756,443 times
Same people cried about making interracial marriages legal- and for the same reasons (those being hate, fear, a need to control others, etc.).

Gay marriage will be the law of the land soon. And in another generation or two, 'conservatives' will try and take credit for it just like they do with they civil rights movement that they violently opposed a couple generations ago.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:14 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you're going to be in Vegas any time this year, let me know. I'll take you out for a beverage (my treat), and let you see just how wrong you are about the TEA Party movement. It seems pretty clear that you haven't had any exposure to the people you're denigrating, and I'm offering you a chance to rectify that problem.
You're right and it is hypocritical to claim that the Teaparty despises anyone who isn't like them when the lefty liberals also despise anyone who doesn't agree with them. It's a two way street you know. The correct word would be disagreeing not despising but you know the lefty liberals they love those strong words. It's a form of demonizing and belittling their opponent. I had to laugh at the Taliban comment. Just when you thought the lefty liberals couldn't be more ridiculous in their insults they come up with that one.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's heading down the RIGHT path for America. My opinion. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. Everyone has an opinion. And the beauty of it is that your opinion doesn't trump anyone else's. It may make you weep, but that's too bad.
I'd like to know how gay marriage is heading down the right path for America. It sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in this country. Yes, you're right we are both entitled to our opinions and I never said mine trumps anyone else's. Perhaps it is you and your fellow travelers that are weeping because you can't convince all of America to adopt your views on this subject.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I think you are a little ahead of yourself; I don't think we are going to see gay marriage legalized on the national front that soon.

Turkey-Head; why do you say people opposed to gay marriage are filled with hate? One can be opposed to something but not be hateful toward whatever it is. I have mixed feelings about gay marriage as many I know have; these people do not hate gays. Many have gay family members or friends.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are a little ahead of yourself; I don't think we are going to see gay marriage legalized on the national front that soon.

Turkey-Head; why do you say people opposed to gay marriage are filled with hate? One can be opposed to something but not be hateful toward whatever it is. I have mixed feelings about gay marriage as many I know have; these people do not hate gays. Many have gay family members or friends.
Exactly! I don't hate gays. I just don't think it is normal for them to have a "traditional" marriage recognized. I don't have a problem with a civil union so IMO they should fight for that in the state they are living in if they don't allow a civil union between them. I also have gay friends. I know a same sex (males) couple that I really like personally. My wife also has a gay cousin (female). A more generous heart you couldn't find anywhere. That's the problem with these lefty liberals. If you don't agree with them then you just must be a hater or a bigot. If one is so confident that they are right then why do they have to resort to browbeating people into their beliefs and when they don't succumb they resort to insults. It is indeed childish, bullying behavior. Since when in this country aren't we entitled to our individual beliefs regardless of where they come from without being personally attacked for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections