U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,359 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9885

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! I don't hate gays. I just don't think it is normal for them to have a "traditional" marriage recognized. I don't have a problem with a civil union so IMO they should fight for that in the state they are living in if they don't allow a civil union between them. I also have gay friends. I know a same sex (males) couple that I really like personally. My wife also has a gay cousin (female). A more generous heart you couldn't find anywhere. That's the problem with these lefty liberals. If you don't agree with them then you just must be a hater or a bigot. If one is so confident that they are right then why do they have to resort to browbeating people into their beliefs and when they don't succumb they resort to insults. It is indeed childish, bullying behavior. Since when in this country aren't we entitled to our individual beliefs regardless of where they come from without being personally attacked for them?
Wasn't separate-but-equal state laws in the south that was overturned in the 1950's and 1960's by protests of whites and blacks alike both on the state AND national level? Were you against equal rights for black marriage or interracial marriage and if not, why are you against gay marriage? There's a lot of parallels between the black equal rights movement and the current gay rights issues.

Also nobody is browbeating churches to conduct gay marriages, nor is anyone asking anyone against it to change their view, they just want the law to be truly equal rather than separate-but-equal. I am Christian but as I've said I rather marriage by law just be called civil unions because not everyone goes gets married in a church or temple, some have a non-religious ceremony and get married by a Justice of the Peace. Does a wedding committed by a Justice of the Peace, make a marriage any lesser of one (BY LAW) than one conducted by a priest, reverend or a rabbi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,544,210 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd like to know how gay marriage is heading down the right path for America. It sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in this country. Yes, you're right we are both entitled to our opinions and I never said mine trumps anyone else's. Perhaps it is you and your fellow travelers that are weeping because you can't convince all of America to adopt your views on this subject.
I am still waiting to figure out how gay marriage affects your own marriage? Letting others marry should have no effect on any one else's marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
 
40,149 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd like to know how gay marriage is heading down the right path for America. It sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in this country. Yes, you're right we are both entitled to our opinions and I never said mine trumps anyone else's. Perhaps it is you and your fellow travelers that are weeping because you can't convince all of America to adopt your views on this subject.
It's the RIGHT path because it follows the principles this country was founded on.

Freedom, equality, justice.

Just like it didn't affect me one whit when you got married, and who you chose to marry was none of my business, it doesn't affect you one whit if Joe and Steve get married, and who Joe chooses to marry is none of your business.

And I celebrate that America is a place with many views and opinions. And I'm thrilled that the majority of Americans are coming to share my view regarding same-sex marriage, a view I've always held, because I have no interest in condemning people or controlling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
 
36,978 posts, read 16,404,056 times
Reputation: 9946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Wasn't separate-but-equal state laws in the south that was overturned in the 1950's and 1960's by protests of whites and blacks alike both on the state AND national level? Were you against equal rights for black marriage or interracial marriage and if not, why are you against gay marriage? There's a lot of parallels between the black equal rights movement and the current gay rights issues.

Also nobody is browbeating churches to conduct gay marriages, nor is anyone asking anyone against it to change their view, they just want the law to be truly equal rather than separate-but-equal. I am Christian but as I've said I rather marriage by law just be called civil unions because not everyone goes gets married in a church or temple, some have a non-religious ceremony and get married by a Justice of the Peace. Does a wedding committed by a Justice of the Peace, make a marriage any lesser of one (BY LAW) than one conducted by a priest, reverend or a rabbi?
Nope! No comparison whatsoever to inter-racial marriages and gay ones. I have never opposed inter-racial marriage because it is between a man and a woman. I oppose a "traditional" marriage for gays because it takes away from the true meaning of marriage which has always been and should be between a man and a woman. It also sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in our society. I have no problem with a civil union between gays to protect their mutual assets. Doesn't matter to me whether a marriage occurs in a church, Justice of Peace, etc. it's still a marriage by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 PM
 
40,149 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope! No comparison whatsoever to inter-racial marriages and gay ones. I have never opposed inter-racial marriage because it is between a man and a woman. I oppose a "traditional" marriage for gays because it takes away from the true meaning of marriage which has always been and should be between a man and a woman. It also sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in our society. I have no problem with a civil union between gays to protect their mutual assets. Doesn't matter to me whether a marriage occurs in a church, Justice of Peace, etc. it's still a marriage by law.
Well, it hasn't always been "between a man and a woman". In fact, it was often between a man and many women. Because women weren't considered the equal of men. Women were property. And marriage was a contract between a man and a woman's family. And that's true in many places around the world today.

We've come a long way, baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,544,210 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope! No comparison whatsoever to inter-racial marriages and gay ones. I have never opposed inter-racial marriage because it is between a man and a woman. I oppose a "traditional" marriage for gays because it takes away from the true meaning of marriage which has always been and should be between a man and a woman. It also sets a precedence for other weird things to become the norm in our society. I have no problem with a civil union between gays to protect their mutual assets. Doesn't matter to me whether a marriage occurs in a church, Justice of Peace, etc. it's still a marriage by law.
How does it take away from the true meaning of marriage? It doesn't make your marriage any less between a man and woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
 
36,978 posts, read 16,404,056 times
Reputation: 9946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's the RIGHT path because it follows the principles this country was founded on.

Freedom, equality, justice.

Just like it didn't affect me one whit when you got married, and who you chose to marry was none of my business, it doesn't affect you one whit if Joe and Steve get married, and who Joe chooses to marry is none of your business.

And I celebrate that America is a place with many views and opinions. And I'm thrilled that the majority of Americans are coming to share my view regarding same-sex marriage, a view I've always held, because I have no interest in condemning people or controlling them.
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree then. To me this has nothing to do with freedom, equality or justice. I am not condemning anyone nor trying to control them but I am entitled to my opinion/views and when things are put to a vote it is my right to vote accordingly just like you will. Seems you are trying to force your views on me. I have no desire to do that to you but I have found that liberals just can't stand to just disagree with you. They aren't satisfied until they browbeat you into agreeing with them. Well that's not going to happen so I suggest you give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
 
36,978 posts, read 16,404,056 times
Reputation: 9946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, it hasn't always been "between a man and a woman". In fact, it was often between a man and many women. Because women weren't considered the equal of men. Women were property. And marriage was a contract between a man and a woman's family. And that's true in many places around the world today.

We've come a long way, baby.
It's been that way since bigomy was disallowed. How far to you want to go back? We aren't the rest of the world anyway. Yes, we've come a long ways "baby" some things good and some things bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,544,210 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's been that way since bigomy was disallowed. How far to you want to go back? We aren't the rest of the world anyway. Yes, we've come a long ways "baby" some things good and some things bad.
And allowing loving adults marry is a good thing for those that wish to get married. There is no reason to deny consenting adults from being able to marry, even if you don't like people being gay and wanting to be together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:20 PM
 
40,149 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree then. To me this has nothing to do with freedom, equality or justice. I am not condemning anyone nor trying to control them but I am entitled to my opinion/views and when things are put to a vote it is my right to vote accordingly just like you will. Seems you are trying to force your views on me. I have no desire to do that to you but I have found that liberals just can't stand to just disagree with you. They aren't satisfied until they browbeat you into agreeing with them. Well that's not going to happen so I suggest you give it up.
Are you browbeating me into agreeing with you?

If not, then how exactly am I browbeating you?

You are condemning people. Your remarks about homosexuality are condemning.

And you are trying to control people, because laws that prevent adults from marrying other adults whom they love, strictly based on their sexuality, is controlling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top