Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times

Advertisements

wutitiz"Democrats told us in 2000 that W Bush would prohibit abortion, but 15 years later, people are still getting abortions., for better or worse."

It would be prudent for the GOP to officially bury the issue, stating they respect that Roe v Wade is long established law, and will take no action to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 AM

9,882 posts, read 10,799,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The way I see it, is that the GOP will never win another presidency with the tea party. The tea partiers are too extreme for the average American.
You shouldn't believe everything the Obama Pelosi and their media tell you, its nonsense. Tea party wants less government period. When you look at the size and scope of our government today and how it has increased over this administration any one that would want more of it would be EXTREME!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sounds like no one knows what the Tea Party is besides the few that call themselves the Tea Party. That isn't good news for them because it shows their branding has fail and hasn't gained any traction in 9 years.
Yes, those original Ron Paul supporters, like I, know who they are and the values they support.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It doesn't help that the Tea Party really doesn't try to alter themselves from the rape comments or the shut down and now again with the Homeland Security threat of shutdowns.

The Tea Party is not a political party. You people have no clue what the TEA Party is, here going on 9 years after they got the label.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Kind of, only the first two questions in a way

The demographics and national level questions are still on the table, even what they stand for is.

I know TEA is an acronym referring to "taxed enough already" mainly because by most findings those who identify as Tea Parties are richer at about 200k average income to start. Also are they just against taxation and spending, or are there other issues they push for as voters or vote for in office?

Ron Paul, the GODFATHER of the TEA Party, had the young vote.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
How can people against abortions, gay marriage or racist (thinking the African-Americans are the ones on welfare)? Many Tea Party members are anti-abortion which means that an individual (in this case a woman) doesn't have the right to choose if they should have the baby or not except in a few situations (Tea Party on Abortion.) Many Tea Party members are against gay marriage, even civil unions (Tea Party on Civil Rights.) A good number of Tea Party members believe in the hype of Welfare Queens and the racial overtones of it. A real individualist would want civil rights because those help the individuals.

Our Federal government was not established to help and feed the people.
Their whole purpose was to secure rights and keep us free, with liberties for all, so we could feed ourselves.

That has all changed since the Progressive Era where it was determined freedom was the enemy of the Federal Government.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There aren't a good number of them though. The rape remark was made by one person. We don't even know if they were a card carrying member of the Teaparty just that they lean right. Please provide a link that the majority of the Teaparty opposes civil unions for gays. I'll wait. Where in the world are getting the notion that the majority of them have flip flopped on abortion?
First off, the rape comments were made by TWO Republicans backed by the Tea Party who were up for congressional races. Rep Todd Aiken of Missouri and Richard Mordock, the Republican nominee for the Indiana US Senate Seat. They both made similar rape comments during their debate cycle. The first quote is Aiken's view on rape from August 2012 and the second quote is Mordock's view on rape from October 2012.
Quote:
Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.
Quote:
I know there are some who disagree and I respect their point of view but I believe that life begins at conception. The only exception I have to have an abortion is in that case of the life of the mother. I just struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize: Life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.
Todd Aiken, fair point as he was in Washington dating back to 2001 and did earmarks even though he was a fairly traditional conservative against federal bans and abortion. The problem lies is that conservatives (if only including Tea Party and "independent conservatives") voted to keep him in office in 2010.
Richard Mordock was entirely Tea Party backed to replace incumbant Republican senator Richard Lugar. Similar to Aiken, I think it is because they are fairly aligned with Tea Party beliefs. Mordock has questioned the constitutionality of programs like Medicare and Social Security and also is for the Medicare voucher and increasing the Social Security age (something I agree with actually.) Mordock also doesn't support the Dream Act for illegal immigrants (a stance that is pretty widely shared with Tea Party members.) He also supported the (Paul) Ryan Path to Prosperity Plan in order to decrease debt spending. Mordock if he wasn't Tea Party himself aligned with the Tea Party and even attended Tea Party rallies in his campaign.
As you can see Aiken wasn't exactly a Tea Party candidate even though he shared ideology while Mordock

Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
wutitiz"Democrats told us in 2000 that W Bush would prohibit abortion, but 15 years later, people are still getting abortions., for better or worse."

It would be prudent for the GOP to officially bury the issue, stating they respect that Roe v Wade is long established law, and will take no action to change that.
The 10th amendment dictates who is incharge of abortion, when the Supreme Court determined the Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to rule against it..... Or for it, for that matter. The Constitution does not give the Federal Government any power to make a ruling against it.
That is where the 10th Amendment takes over.

Power not delegated in the Constitution, is reserved for the individual States.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM

7,443 posts, read 6,989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sounds like no one knows what the Tea Party is besides the few that call themselves the Tea Party. That isn't good news for them because it shows their branding has fail and hasn't gained any traction in 9 years.
The Tea Party led directly to the Republicans historic landslide victory in the 2010 midterms and also heavily influenced their historic landslide victory in the 2014 midterms. The GOP has the most seats in Congress it has had in decades and controls more state governorships and legislatures than ever before. I would say the Tea Party has had plenty of traction.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Tea Party is not a political party. You people have no clue what the TEA Party is, here going on 9 years after they got the label.
I just smile to myself when I see referencing the Tea Party as a party. Of course all of us who know anything know it is not a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections