Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The Supreme Court has said otherwise, numerous times. So there's that to consider.
But, it's obvious that you are one of the true defenders of what you think is in the Constitution.
Like prohibition? Like Jim Crow laws? Like the laws that prevented women from voting? But, it's obvious that you are one of the true defenders of what you think is in the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No one is forced to accept another person's marriage.
Of course they are. What an absurd statement especially considering I just showed proof.

Quote:
Businesses are not persons. And the person who opens a business gets a license from the state that shows he understands his LEGAL obligations according to the state. Businesses have to meet certain standards, and a business owner agrees to do that when he gets a license from the state.
And if that PERSON who owns that business doesn't comply big government uses force to make that PERSON comply. Of course that is using force. How can you not understand that?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Wow, the government is forcing you to get gay married??
Wow you actually believes that is what the post was about?

Old 03-06-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
It's the RIGHT path because it follows the principles this country was founded on.

Freedom, equality, justice.

Just like it didn't affect me one whit when you got married, and who you chose to marry was none of my business, it doesn't affect you one whit if Joe and Steve get married, and who Joe chooses to marry is none of your business.

And I celebrate that America is a place with many views and opinions. And I'm thrilled that the majority of Americans are coming to share my view regarding same-sex marriage, a view I've always held, because I have no interest in condemning people or controlling them.
But you are controlling them. You are forcing them to accept gay marriage or else.
I agree that gays should be able to get married too. It is the right path. A moral path. Government isn't moral. But using force to make others accept your beliefs, when no ones rights have been violated, is tyranny. Our country was founded on a fight against that.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The bold and italicized is the issue when it comes to LAW. A gay marriage doesn't make your's any less of a marriage in the eyes of the LAW. In the eyes of God, we will only know on Judgement Day. However we are not a theocracy. If the founding fathers wanted us to be Protestant, we would have been. They didn't and rather have no national religion and not have any religion encourage laws. You have not expressed any reason to not have a gay marriage other than it's not what God wants. As I've said, we don't know what God really wants from us and won't know if what we did wrong will put us into hell until Judgement Day.

Edit:

If it isn't about equal rights, then what is it about?
Marriage is not a right. How can it be when you have to ask government "Is it okay if we get married?" Government doesn't grant rights, it only takes them away.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 AM

40 posts, read 23,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well if your business is baking wedding cakes, you don't get to pick which weddings get and don't get your cakes if they are all paying customers. Though no one is forcing you to go to any one of these weddings, so you are never a part of a gay wedding.
I agree with this, put into other words you don't get to deny service to someone based on who they love.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Damn, I had to bake a cake or close my business....
At least I had a choice
Damn, you had a business and when you got your business license you agreed to abide by the laws of your state.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Of course they are. What an absurd statement especially considering I just showed proof.

And if that PERSON who owns that business doesn't comply big government uses force to make that PERSON comply. Of course that is using force. How can you not understand that?
That PERSON agreed to operate their business according to the laws of the state, when that PERSON got a business license. That license is a contract. A binding contract.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
But you are controlling them. You are forcing them to accept gay marriage or else.
I agree that gays should be able to get married too. It is the right path. A moral path. Government isn't moral. But using force to make others accept your beliefs, when no ones rights have been violated, is tyranny. Our country was founded on a fight against that.
No one is forced to accept gay marriage or else.

No one is forced to accept anyone else's marriage.

I know a couple and the man's mother absolutely refuses to accept her son's choice. She doesn't accept their marriage, she doesn't recognize their marriage, and no one can force her to do so.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Marriage is not a right. How can it be when you have to ask government "Is it okay if we get married?" Government doesn't grant rights, it only takes them away.
The Supreme Court doesn't agree with you. I suggest you read the Loving decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections