Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One can compare the two. People do it all the time. Just because you don't like the analogy doesn't make it ridiculous or invalid.

And even if same-sex marriage becomes legal in all fifty states, it won't affect "traditional" marriage one whit.

Every couple defines what kind of marriage they will have for themselves. Your neighbors' marriage and how they decide what their boundaries are, what their roles are, doesn't have any affect on your own marriage, and what you and your spouse have established as boundaries, what roles you have. Since the genders of the persons involved makes no difference to your marriage, your refusal to acknowledge same-sex marriage can only be the result of bigotry.

It doesn't affect you. You're not required to do anything. The legality of someone else's marriage has no bearing on the legality of your own marriage. And this "civil union" argument is moot, since those states who have outlawed same-sex marriage have also outlawed same-sex civil unions.
It's changing the meaning of a "traditional" marriage and that is why I oppose it. Next it will be brothers and sisters marrying all under the guise of equal rights. Who knows where it will go from there all under the same guise? You cannot ask any Christian to change their beliefs when their first loyalty is to God and the Bible either. Do you actually think that God was opposed to "real" equal rights? Of course not but this isn't about that. We as Americans all have a right to our views no matter what they are based on and vote accordingly. So stop trying to convince others that it is your way or the highway and demonizing them for not agreeing with you.

Your analogy of opposite sex marriage( regardless of their race) to two people of the same sex is NOT a valid analogy. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's changing the meaning of a "traditional" marriage and that is why I oppose it. Next it will be brothers and sisters marrying all under the guise of equal rights. Who knows where it will go from there all under the same guise? You cannot ask any Christian to change their beliefs when their first loyalty is to God and the Bible either. Do you actually think that God was opposed to "real" equal rights? Of course not but this isn't about that. We as Americans all have a right to our views no matter what they are based on and vote accordingly. So stop trying to convince others that it is your way or the highway and demonizing them for not agreeing with you.

Your analogy of opposite sex marriage( regardless of their race) to two people of the same sex is NOT a valid analogy. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.
Who's asking that religious institutions to conduct a ceremony for gays? Who's asking religious instutions to recognize gay marriages? The sooner you realize that there is a difference between religious marriage (the church and synagog) and secular marriage (the state) the better. When gays talk about gay marriage, 99% are looking at secular marriage or marriage by law rather than religious marriage. People like you can't separate the two.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Who's asking that religious institutions to conduct a ceremony for gays? Who's asking religious instutions to recognize gay marriages? The sooner you realize that there is a difference between religious marriage (the church and synagog) and secular marriage (the state) the better. When gays talk about gay marriage, 99% are looking at secular marriage or marriage by law rather than religious marriage. People like you can't separate the two.
Oh, I can separate the two by law but it can't be separated by Christianity. Piece of advice stop browbeating those who don't agree with you into doing so as myself nor many others won't. You are entitled you your opinion and to vote accordingly but so am I and many others who hold an opposing view. I'm not trying to browbeat you and your coharts into agreeing with me. Why does you side always try to do the opposite?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:

Separate but equal is inherently unequal.

Once upon a time I would've agreed with you that civil unions are the way to go. But these days I've had enough of self-righteous bigots. I'll marry a man if I damn well please just to **** ya'll off. I'll go to a store and make you bake me a big gay cake- and then you'll have to hire me. And pay for my condoms and gonorrhea if that's what I decide on.

The Supreme Court is about to decide this once and for all and it's gonna be funny as hell. Them bigot-tears will taste so sweet!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Why is a Tea Party thread about someone's obsession about wanting to deny homosexual people the right to marry? Is this what Tea Baggers obsess about?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why is a Tea Party thread about someone's obsession about wanting to deny homosexual people the right to marry? Is this what Tea Baggers obsess about?
Meanwhile most of them are divorced and/or had sex before marriage.

Jesus was very clear about what he thought of hypocrites. But I guess that's ok since these folks are more in line with the Pharisees anyhow.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
OldGlory"Oh, I can separate the two by law but it can't be separated by Christianity."

That is Christianity's problem. We have no official religion, so no religion nor lack of , should get priority over any other.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Oh, I can separate the two by law but it can't be separated by Christianity.
You are pro constitution right? You support what the founding fathers tried to do correct? Did the founding fathers not put the separation of church and state in the constitution or not? If that's the case, why not realize that gay marriage can just be part of the civil/secular marriage definition and not the definition of religious marriage?

I also find it funny you ended up using the slippery slope argument to defend your stance against gay marriage.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Oh, I can separate the two by law but it can't be separated by Christianity. Piece of advice stop browbeating those who don't agree with you into doing so as myself nor many others won't. You are entitled you your opinion and to vote accordingly but so am I and many others who hold an opposing view. I'm not trying to browbeat you and your coharts into agreeing with me. Why does you side always try to do the opposite?
Christian, Jewish, and/or Islam laws do not apply in this country.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You are pro constitution right? You support what the founding fathers tried to do correct? Did the founding fathers not put the separation of church and state in the constitution or not? If that's the case, why not realize that gay marriage can just be part of the civil/secular marriage definition and not the definition of religious marriage?

I also find it funny you ended up using the slippery slope argument to defend your stance against gay marriage.
Our founding fathers were Christians. Do you actually think that they intended equal rights to include gay marriage? There was no slippery slope they were valid arguments. Still trying to browbeat me into holding your views? Why are liberals intent on changing other people's views to theirs? Believe what you want and leave the rest of us alone but liberals just can't seem to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections