Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
It's why the current cost of promises we've already made is $440,000 per US household. The Government Accountability Office Report released this week proves it. People ignore this. Most of the media isn't reporting it. That's why Paul made the comment over and over last night that the economy is the problem. If the dollar continues to fall, the price of oil will continue to rise. Oil companies make massive profits while we pay them subsidies from the national treasury. Americans need to learn the basics of our monetary system.

The Federal Reserve is planning to lower interest rates again. That lowers the dollar which causes inflation so they lower rates again devaluing the dollar more causing more inflation. All of this was what Paul meant when he mentioned Austrian economics. It really is too bad hardly anyone in the audience knew what he was talking about. Poor Rudy looked at Paul like he had a third head.

Without a strong economy, all their promises to protect and defend are worthless.

GAO-08-395CG, U.S. Financial Condition and Fiscal Future Briefing <---boring and tedious but there is a wealth of information in there.

YouTube - Glenn Beck - The Real Story, Touching the Third Rail <---GAO Comptroller General talks about this with Glenn Beck this week.
Not much talk about this! People need to see the big picture. Great Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Not much talk about this! People need to see the big picture. Great Post
Yesterday on CSpan, the Brookings Institute held a forum about the coming recession. They're asking Congress to put together a short term stimulus package that would be triggered by certain economic figures like loss of jobs and the value of the dollar against other currencies. If they start now, it will still take months to be put into law. What were the other media outlets talking about? How they got the polls wrong.

The debate last night should have been about the economy and nothing else. It used to be what the Republicans were strong on. Have they lost their way? Almost certainly.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Yesterday on CSpan, the Brookings Institute held a forum about the coming recession. They're asking Congress to put together a short term stimulus package that would be triggered by certain economic figures like loss of jobs and the value of the dollar against other currencies. If they start now, it will still take months to be put into law. What were the other media outlets talking about? How they got the polls wrong.

The debate last night should have been about the economy and nothing else. It used to be what the Republicans were strong on. Have they lost their way? Almost certainly.

Now it is war war war and how to control other countries. What happens after the war? By then we will be in such a bad state it will take years and years to recover.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Now it is war war war and how to control other countries. What happens after the war? By then we will be in such a bad state it will take years and years to recover.
The GAO Comptroller General said that if we had raised income taxes in 2003 to pay for what we owe, it would have been a 95% increase over 2003 levels. I know security is important, but it's more than just who we can bomb back to the stone age. It's about the GOP's priorities.

But the Democrats are no better. They want to give people "free" healthcare. Who pays for that? Obama wants to pass it off to the corporations. Does anyone believe they won't pass it on to the consumer? Fred Thompson did score one point with me last night. People are hurting. It's a long way from over. At least he recognized the issue even if I disagree with his ways to fix it.

This doesn't even factor in the housing/mortgage crisis. We're not coming out of that until at least 2011.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The GAO Comptroller General said that if we had raised income taxes in 2003 to pay for what we owe, it would have been a 95% increase over 2003 levels. I know security is important, but it's more than just who we can bomb back to the stone age. It's about the GOP's priorities.

But the Democrats are no better. They want to give people "free" healthcare. Who pays for that? Obama wants to pass it off to the corporations. Does anyone believe they won't pass it on to the consumer? Fred Thompson did score one point with me last night. People are hurting. It's a long way from over. At least he recognized the issue even if I disagree with his ways to fix it.

This doesn't even factor in the housing/mortgage crisis. We're not coming out of that until at least 2011.
I think security is very important, I just disagree with how they plan to achieve it. Butting in and telling others what ,when , how and who.

As far as health care, all I want is it more affordable ,not handed to me, I am sorry but $800 for health insurance for a family of five is not affordable.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How did they do? Heres how I scored it; #1)Thompson, #2) Guliani, #3)Romney, #4)Paul,"yes thats right ",#5)Huckabee, #6) McCain.
This would be my exact order, too.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think security is very important, I just disagree with how they plan to achieve it. Butting in and telling others what ,when , how and who.

As far as health care, all I want is it more affordable ,not handed to me, I am sorry but $800 for health insurance for a family of five is not affordable.
Getting government out of it may help, it may not. I honestly don't think there is any consensus on what to do with health care costs. The theory is that less regulation increases the number of providers and lowers costs because there's more supply than demand. THen again, companies have the opportunity to take advantage of the open markets.

We need to start talking about our options before we don't have any.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
We borrow from china to give to Musharaf, an military dictator who overthrew an elected government to spread democracy in Iraq? It's called blowback. What you do now has repercussions way down the line.

Paul understands. Why don't the others?

YouTube - Ron Paul SC Debate Conservatism Question 2 - 01/10/2008
After watching this again, it just reinforces my opinion that the fox network is a mockery to journalism and the real professional NON-BIAS journalist. Was this guy raised in a communist country, or is he just this ignorant to believe a candidate can control what his supporters are allowed to say and think. Is this the best Fox has to offer? This had to be the most immature and unprofessional question I've ever seen anyone ask. Now I understand why they are rated at the bottom of the network list.

Last edited by firemed; 01-11-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
After watching this again, it just reinforces my opinion that the fox network is a mockery to journalism and the real professional NON-BIAS journalist. Was this guy raised in a communist country, or is he just this ignorant to believe a candidate can control what his supporters are allowed to say and think. Is this the bast Fox has to offer? This had to be the most immature and unprofessional question I've ever seen anyone ask. Now I understand why they are rated at the bottom of the network list.
I overlooked that question. The important information is what Paul talked about when he was finally able to get into the real debate and talk about our current policies that are bankrupting this country.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM

I think the other candidates, giggle at him and smile when he says something, because what he says goes right over their heads. I don't think they have a clue how to handle this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections