Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times

Advertisements

First off, helping to keep people in their homes is good for the economy. The real estate mess is dragging down many other sectors and will be leading us into a recession. Secondly, the other money is to help the poor pay for heat in the winter (hardly a luxury) and to help the unemployed find jobs. Unemployment is creeping up and that's another reason why we're predicted to head into a recession.

These aren't handouts. They help people and also help the economy. It always surprises me that people aren't outraged about the cost of this war but we can ALWAYS find the money for THAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i just read that hillary clinton is proposing $70B in spending to help "poor" families survive the subprime mortgage mess. why is that she ONLY wants to help the "poor" and leaves out the middle class? I heard on NPR that many of the foreclosures that are happening is because the house is worth less than the loan and that is the reason why there have been so many foreclosures, not due to lack of funds. I am tired of being taxed to death and always having the benefit go to someone else. if this is what she will propose as President, then she has definitely lost my vote. just so you know, i've voted Democratic since mondale (1984). i'm thinking that dr ron paul is the answer.

Clinton upstages Republicans with stimulus plan - Yahoo! News (broken link)
The Republicans are planning the same program. I do not care for it myself but if you are going to have a program it should cover everybody.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
It always surprises me that people aren't outraged about the cost of this war but we can ALWAYS find the money for THAT!
I'm not outraged about the aid money. I'm just frustrated/sad because we all know WHY Hillary is proposing this while trying to secure the nomination. I AM outraged about the cost of this war...which we should never have entered into.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM

We should help the poor but I do not wish to help the big bankers with their sub prime mess. They lent to people that never should have qualified for loans.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We should help the poor but I do not wish to help the big bankers with their sub prime mess. They lent to people that never should have qualified for loans.
Amen Kev! I've always held that there are some people who should not buy houses. Unfortunately, these exotic loan products that can be gotten without any proof of employment or income, and these interest only loan products killed the housing market and of course, like the airlines, like Chrylser in the 80's, the big golden parachuted protected business people are coming to the government like Oliver wanting more porridge.

It's families like most of ours that are going to suffer. The middle class is going to pay for this poo-party .... AS USUAL!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
The Republicans are planning the same program. I do not care for it myself but if you are going to have a program it should cover everybody.
Yeah, I guess the wealthy could end up needing help heating the great rooms of their mansions with the 40ft. tall ceilings.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, I guess the wealthy could end up needing help heating the great rooms of their mansions with the 40ft. tall ceilings.

In all due respect, do you think ALL Republicans are rich? Some of us evil Republicans are average working stiffs that don't believe in government hand outs, but hand ups. I'm sick of this nanny state mentality that cost me and YOU (I'm using "You" in the general sense of the word.) a small fortune because of so call 'entitlements'. (Don't go there with Iraq, entitlement have been a burden since the 1940's with no end in sight.)
Here is what you are entitled too, you're entitled to get a education, get a job, get a life and get out of my wallet. You're entitled to stop playing the races card and gender card as an excuse for your failure to make it in the world. If you can't make it in this country then you'll never make it anywhere. It's easy to make excuses, it's easy to blame others, it's easy to hold your hand out, success is a little harder to get, it requires effort! Dare I say it requires work.
Clinton is the Queen Nanny in Nanny State with her "gifts" under the tree .. sure the package looks pretty with a big shiny bow. DON'T unwrap it, there's nothing but a bill in the box you can't pay.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM

384 posts, read 286,813 times
Quote:
And thats the banks fault??
Who walked into the back seeking a loan in the first place?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
In all due respect, do you think ALL Republicans are rich? Some of us evil Republicans are average working stiffs that don't believe in government hand outs, but hand ups. I'm sick of this nanny state mentality that cost me and YOU (I'm using "You" in the general sense of the word.) a small fortune because of so call 'entitlements'. (Don't go there with Iraq, entitlement have been a burden since the 1940's with no end in sight.)
Here is what you are entitled too, you're entitled to get a education, get a job, get a life and get out of my wallet. You're entitled to stop playing the races card and gender card as an excuse for your failure to make it in the world. If you can't make it in this country then you'll never make it anywhere. It's easy to make excuses, it's easy to blame others, it's easy to hold your hand out, success is a little harder to get, it requires effort! Dare I say it requires work.
Clinton is the Queen Nanny in Nanny State with her "gifts" under the tree .. sure the package looks pretty with a big shiny bow. DON'T unwrap it, there's nothing but a bill in the box you can't pay.
The Republicans are not all RICH. Some of them are merely STUPID!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
And thats the banks fault??
Who walked into the back seeking a loan in the first place?
Well children often come in seeking cookies and sweets. You just gotta say NO sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections