U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2015, 01:57 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,984 posts, read 10,928,441 times
Reputation: 12767

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm saying anyone who denies that when people are put into certain situations, will do things they wouldnt normally do, is an idiot.
In other words, yes, he is agreeing with Ben Carson.

...which surprises exactly no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
2. Is he factually correct? How many people (percentage) of men engage in gay sex in prison? How many in the general population?
If you were to analyze the stats then you might conclude that Dr Carson is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what percentage of males out of prison are anxious to return to a heterosexual lifestyle? Probably at least 90%.
not sure its relevant how many return to heterosexual lifestyles if the "people cant help they are gay" argument holds relevance (and I do believe that it does for most).

the question is, does a prison turn people 'gay' or not? Many do things they wouldnt otherwise do, but without knowing how many people in gay actually resort to gay acts, we cant really conclude if he's right or not.

If a large number do, then he would be correct, what that "large number" would equal is probably debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:31 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
In other words, yes, he is agreeing with Ben Carson.

...which surprises exactly no one.
So its your contention that either
A) Gays are criminals, because they are locked up in such large numbers
or
B) look at A..

If you say so.. I disagree, I thought gays were no different than straights, in fact most gays I know in real life hold far higher moral grounds and would be hard pressed to conduct a crime..

You are telling me otherwise, that they are so bad, they should be locked up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:34 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But it doesnt make someone gay.

Gay isnt simply having sex.
yes yes yes, men can have sex with other men, voluntarily, and not be gay. I love how the definitions keep progressing to now, sex doesnt even matter..

Gay: of, relating to, or exhibiting sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex

I would venture to say, having sex with someone of the same sex, is a behavior directed towards a person of the same sex..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
The funny thing is, Ben Carsons comments if the left would actually focus on them, rather than attack them, would argue in support of gay rights, and better treatment of individuals in prison..

But they view it as an attack against the belief that people are born gay, which of course its not at all an attack like that.

I believe some are born gay, while others "turn" gay.. Whats the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Midwest
31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Reputation: 7870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Are you all sure you just don't have a problem with black people accomplished in something outside of politics?
Did you insert "outside of politics" to your question in order to excuse anyone who has a problem with President Obama because he happens to be black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Midwest
31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Reputation: 7870
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The funny thing is, Ben Carsons comments if the left would actually focus on them, rather than attack them, would argue in support of gay rights, and better treatment of individuals in prison..

But they view it as an attack against the belief that people are born gay, which of course its not at all an attack like that.

I believe some are born gay, while others "turn" gay.. Whats the big deal?
No words can adequately express the ignorance of the above statement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,238 posts, read 8,222,024 times
Reputation: 10647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If two dudes are pounding each other hard, can I assume they are gay?
Or were they just bored?
What you can't assume is that if they had a choice, they'd choose each other. Male prisoners don't have access to women.

We all know what *some* men are like - if it moves...


Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He may have a beak, but that doesn't make him a bird.
No it doesn't, he might be an octopus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No words can adequately express the ignorance of the above statement!
And yet you've added nothing to the discussion. No surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
What you can't assume is that if they had a choice, they'd choose each other. Male prisoners don't have access to women.
Which actually validates Ben Carsons comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
We all know what *some* men are like - if it moves...
Which again, would validate his statement as true... Given limited access
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No it doesn't, he might be an octopus!
So you've been arguing they aren't gay, but now admit they are, because they have no beak but pounding each other hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top