Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Let the circus begin

Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
If he continues to stand by the Constitution and remain firm in his beliefs, he's got my vote. I am not as far right as he is, however just the fact that he shakes things up in D.C., particularly the RINO's, is good enough for me. They are too entrenched and comfortable, and do everything they can to marginalize Cruz. However, Cruz made his position crystal clear when he said that he didn't go to Washington to make friends, he went there to represent his constituents in Texas. He's actually doing his job.

Last Man Standing so to speak.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Thumbs up Cruz to announce Preisdency bid on Monday

YAY!

Dear Pubs:

Please give this creep your nomination.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
While I share little of his philosophy, I am rooting for him to win. It will be a Goldwater style trouncing in the general and may push the Republicans back to the center once again.
This is pretty much my point of view as well, in fact I am praying that the Establishment doesent even bother and just lets him win the nomination. Eight years of Hillary will cause the GOP to implode and return to the center ... from which we can actually win.

The Tea Party does not seem to grasp that the US is not a far right nation, it's a centrist nation. This is why the Democrats always win, they campaign as centrists ... not far right ideologues.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Those of you buying into the Goldwater-style loss would do well to remember that in 1964 80% of the public trusted the federal government to do the right thing always or most of the time; now that's down to 10% or so. 55% currently believe the federal government is a threat to their rights and freedoms, and only 20% believe it has the consent of the governed. Circumstances and the public mood now are almost the exact opposite of what they were in 1964, and if the environment in 1964 was like 2015 Goldwater likely would have won. One also has to keep in mind that LBJ got a big bump from carrying JFK's water after his assassination, as well as a far more technically competent campaign than the opposition had. If those factors didn't exist it's likely LBJ's landslide victory would have been instead merely decisive. Even with all that going against him Goldwater started out in June with a 77-18 lead for LBJ, which was gradually brought down to a 61-38 lead by the actual election (source); that's actually one of the more impressive campaign-season shifts in polling of any Presidential race, so even under those hostile conditions Goldwater was gaining traction in a significant way, though obviously not nearly enough for victory by election day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The birther crowd already is raising a stink about Cruz's eligibility and they aren't going to stop. If they admit Cruz is eligible they would have to also admit Obama is a legitimate president, and for birthers that is a bridge too far. I would enjoy watching the right get caught in their own birther net. That would be icing on the cake of a crushing Cruz defeat.
I've heard rumors of birthers backing Cruz as revenge for the Democrats foisting an illegitimate President upon the country, so that sentiment could just as easily go in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is pretty much my point of view as well, in fact I am praying that the Establishment doesent even bother and just lets him win the nomination. Eight years of Hillary will cause the GOP to implode and return to the center ... from which we can actually win.

The Tea Party does not seem to grasp that the US is not a far right nation, it's a centrist nation. This is why the Democrats always win, they campaign as centrists ... not far right ideologues.
The Democrats always win? Yeah, right; losing state legislatures to where they hold fewer chambers than at any other time in the party's history, losing the House to where they have the smallest caucus in 87 years, and losing their Senate majority with more incumbents losing than at any election since 1980 is really what I'd call "always winning" . The only center of power Democrats control or indeed have controlled for most of the past two decades is the Presidency, and the last election even there was a close shave against a weak opponent (4 points, with Romney leading the polls for a good part of the campaign season).

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
I thought Trump was suppose to be the joke candidate again? Guess I was wrong on that front, it would be an interesting show if both dbags were to run though.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Rafael "Ted" Cruz - a Canadian who's dad fought for Castro.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
He's announcing it at Liberty University, no hotbed of political and religious moderation. If he does win the nomination I don't see how he could ever win over independent swing voters.
That is exactly what I told my hubby this morning: Like him or not, he is going to have a problem turning on the young people and the independents. Yes, the majority of independents surveyed from time to time say they are inclined to lean conservative, but I doubt as far right as he is. To be honest, I seriously doubt he will get the nomination. Depending on who actually runs I put my money of Rubio, Walker or Paul now. thinks certainly can and will change as we get closer to next year.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is pretty much my take on it too. Cruz brings all the hard core conservatism that is so important in Republican primaries along with intellectual ability - a quality that is sorely lacking in that faction of the party. He may just win the primary. He will struggle to raise money with Bush in the race. In any case, it sets the table for a bitter fight among the moderates and the extremists for the future direction of the party. It should get interesting unless he decides to act more mainstream than his rhetoric has been. I don't think he will. He has been a man of his principles if nothing else.

While I share little of his philosophy, I am rooting for him to win. It will be a Goldwater style trouncing in the general and may push the Republicans back to the center once again.
To wish to see a candidate you think will be easy to beat get the nod, indicates how weak you think your party is right now: How sad that is for heavens sake!!!!!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Rafael "Ted" Cruz - a Canadian who's dad fought for Castro.
Oh come on: you are politically savvy enogh to know the story goes much deeper than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections