Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

(Reprinted with permission and weblinks)

Posted By Scott Ott On January 14, 2008 @ 6:43 am In Media/Journalism, Politics

(2008-01-14) — Republican Fred Thompson announced today he has pulled out of the race to set pre-primary expectations through media-driven political polling.

Former Sen. Thompson said he’s committed to winning the Republican nomination for president, and then the White House, but would no longer allow his name to stand in public opinion polls funded by newspapers and cable news outlets.

“The mainstream media shape public opinion about the candidates through their decidedly-liberal news coverage,” said Mr. Thompson, “and then they turn around and ask people what they think of those candidates. Well, if you feed slop to a pig, what do you think you’re going to shovel up later?”

The attorney who has also starred in movies and TV’s “Law & Order”, asked, “Do we really want The New York Times and the Washington Post to tell the Republican party whom we ought to pick to run against Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?”

Mr. Thompson added, “If you polled the San Diego Chargers, before the AFC title game, do you think they’d choose Tom Brady to quarterback the Patriots?”

Article reprinted from ScrappleFace: ScrappleFace — News Fairly Unbalanced. We Report. You Decipher.

URL to article: Fred Thompson Pulls Out of Presidential Polling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Good man!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
So it's the liberal media's fault that he's only slightly more popular than Tom Tancredo?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
(Reprinted with permission and weblinks)

Posted By Scott Ott On January 14, 2008 @ 6:43 am In Media/Journalism, Politics

(2008-01-14) — Republican Fred Thompson announced today he has pulled out of the race to set pre-primary expectations through media-driven political polling.

Former Sen. Thompson said he’s committed to winning the Republican nomination for president, and then the White House, but would no longer allow his name to stand in public opinion polls funded by newspapers and cable news outlets.

“The mainstream media shape public opinion about the candidates through their decidedly-liberal news coverage,” said Mr. Thompson, “and then they turn around and ask people what they think of those candidates. Well, if you feed slop to a pig, what do you think you’re going to shovel up later?”

The attorney who has also starred in movies and TV’s “Law & Order”, asked, “Do we really want The New York Times and the Washington Post to tell the Republican party whom we ought to pick to run against Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?”

Mr. Thompson added, “If you polled the San Diego Chargers, before the AFC title game, do you think they’d choose Tom Brady to quarterback the Patriots?”

Article reprinted from ScrappleFace: ScrappleFace — News Fairly Unbalanced. We Report. You Decipher.

URL to article: Fred Thompson Pulls Out of Presidential Polling
thats the kind of attitude we need in a president!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Now if only we can get every candidate to do it. Way to go... Thompson was my second pick because I think he has some integrity compared to the rest.. seems like I was right..

Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Now if only we can get every candidate to do it. Way to go... Thompson was my second pick because I think he has some integrity compared to the rest.. seems like I was right..
I agree. I like him a lot. 2nd choice behind Paul.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM

403 posts, read 748,972 times
Quote:

Great! Another sports metaphor that I don't get.

P.S-------- I don't think he is lazy(as everyone would like us to believe) and is one of the few people with a social security plan. Besides, he has two young kids.........something is active in Mr. Thompson for sure!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
It's cute, blaming the liberal media on your dismal numbers, but let's be honest. Thompson thought he'd come in and have the nomination handed to him. Once he found out he'd have to work for it a little bit, he realized he'd rather go back to the couch and get some sleep. He's just setting up his excuses to try and save face for his inevitable departure.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
So it's the liberal media's fault that he's only slightly more popular than Tom Tancredo?
If you liberals pay attention the liberal media is also telling you who you should be voting for to be you next liberal President.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Polls crack me up

Here is one from aol
AOL Straw Poll: Jan. 7-14 - Political Machine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections