Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 02:13 PM

920 posts, read 628,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I view it more as having fun with those whom like to refer to President Obama's middle name as evidence of his being "Muslim" or such.
I am neither a birther, nor do I believe he is Muslim. In fact, I don't think he is religious in any sense of the word. He is a narcissist. My husband intended on voting for him in 2008, until he read this article:

Obama’s Fascinating Interview with Cathleen Falsani - Steven Waldman

FALSANI:
What do you believe?

OBAMA:

So, I’m rooted in the Christian tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people. That there are values that transcend race or culture, that move us forward, and there’s an obligation for all of us individually as well as collectively to take responsibility to make those values lived.

FALSANI:
Have you always been a Christian?

OBAMA:
I was raised more by my mother and my mother was Christian.

FALSANI:
Any particular flavor?

OBAMA:
No......But my mother was deeply spiritual person, and would spend a lot of time talking about values and give me books about the world’s religions, and talk to me about them. And I think always, her view always was that underlying these religions were a common set of beliefs about how you treat other people and how you aspire to act, not just for yourself but also for the greater good....

I probably didn’t get started getting active in church activities until I moved to Chicago.
The way I came to Chicago in 1985 was that I was interested in community organizing and I was inspired by the Civil Rights movement.....And it was in those places where I think what had been more of an intellectual view of religion deepened.... I became involved in was Trinity United Church of Christ. And the pastor there, Jeremiah Wright, became a good friend.

FALSANI:
So you got yourself born again?

OBAMA:
Yeah, although I don’t, I retain from my childhood and my experiences growing up a suspicion of dogma. And I’m not somebody who is always comfortable with language that implies I’ve got a monopoly on the truth, or that my faith is automatically transferable to others.
I’m a big believer in tolerance. I think that religion at it’s best comes with a big dose of doubt

FALSANI:
Do you pray often?

OBAMA:

Its’ not formal, me getting on my knees. I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I’m constantly asking myself questions about what I’m doing, why am I doing it. ....maintaining your moral compass. Those are the conversations I’m having internally. I’m measuring my actions against that inner voice that for me at least is audible, is active, it tells me where I think I’m on track and where I think I’m off track.... . It’s important for me throughout the day to measure and to take stock and to say, now, am I doing this because I think it’s advantageous to me politically, or because I think it’s the right thing to do?

FALSANI:
What’s that power? Is it the holy spirit? God?

OBAMA:
Well, I think it’s the power of the recognition of God, or the recognition of a larger truth that is being shared between me and an audience....That’s something you learn watching ministers, quite a bit. ...

FALSANI:
Who’s Jesus to you?
(He laughs nervously)

OBAMA:
Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he’s also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher.
And he’s also a wonderful teacher. I think it’s important for all of us, of whatever faith, to have teachers in the flesh and also teachers in history.

FALSANI:
Do you try to take some time for whatever, meditation prayer reading?

OBAMA:
But during the course of this campaign, I don’t. And I probably need to and would like to, but that’s where that internal monologue, or dialogue I think supplants my opportunity to read and reflect in a structured way these days. It’s much more sort of as I’m going through the day trying to take stock and take a moment here and a moment there to take stock, why am I here, how does this connect with a larger sense of purpose.

FALSANI:
Jack Ryan [Obama’s Republican opponent in the U.S. Senate race at the time] said talking about your faith is frought with peril for a public figure.

OBAMA:
alongside my own deep personal faith, I am a follower, as well, of our civic religion. ... As I said before, in my own public policy, I’m very suspicious of religious certainty expressing itself in politics.

FALSANI:
Do you ever have people who know you’re a Christian question a particular stance you take on an issue, how can you be a Christian and …

OBAMA:
I haven’t been challenged in those direct ways. And to that extent, I give the public a lot of credit. I’m always stuck by how much common sense the American people have. They get confused sometimes, watch FoxNews or listen to talk radio. That’s dangerous sometimes. But generally, Americans are tolerant and I think recognize that faith is a personal thing, and they may feel very strongly about an issue like abortion or gay marriage, but if they discuss it with me as an elected official they will discuss it with me in those terms and not, say, as ‘you call yourself a Christian.’ I cannot recall that ever happening.

FALSANI:
Do you get questions about your faith?

OBAMA:
.....I think that each of us when we walk into our church or mosque or synagogue are interpreting that experience in different ways, are reading scriptures in different ways and are arriving at our own understanding at different ways and in different phases.
I don’t know a healthy congregation or an effective minister who doesn’t recognize that.
If all it took was someone proclaiming I believe Jesus Christ and that he died for my sins, and that was all there was to it, people wouldn’t have to keep coming to church, would they.

FALSANI:
Do you believe in heaven?

OBAMA:
What I believe in is that if I live my life as well as I can, that I will be rewarded. I don’t presume to have knowledge of what happens after I die. But I feel very strongly that whether the reward is in the here and now or in the hereafter, the aligning myself to my faith and my values is a good thing.

When I tuck in my daughters at night and I feel like I’ve been a good father to them, and I see in them that I am transferring values that I got from my mother and that they’re kind people and that they’re honest people, and they’re curious people, that’s a little piece of heaven.

FALSANI:
Do you believe in sin? What is sin?

OBAMA:
Yes. Being out of alignment with my values.

FALSANI:
What happens if you have sin in your life?

OBAMA:
....... In the same way that if I’m true to myself and my faith that that is its own reward, when I’m not true to it, it’s its own punishment.

FALSANI:
Where do you find spiritual inspiration?

OBAMA:
A good choir and a good sermon in the black church, it’s pretty hard not to be move and be transported.... watching a good performance of Hamlet, or reading Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon, or listening to Miles Davis.

FALSANI:
Is there something that you go back to as a touchstone, a book, a particular piece of music, a place …

OBAMA:
As I said before, in my own sort of mental library, the Civil Rights movement has a powerful hold on me. It’s a point in time where I think heaven and earth meet. Because it’s a moment in which a collective faith transforms everything. So when I read Gandhi or I read King or I read certain passages of Abraham Lincoln and I think about those times where people’s values are tested, I think those inspire me.

FALSANI:

What are you doing when you feel the most centered, the most aligned spiritually?
OBAMA:
It’s when I’m being true to myself. And that can happen in me making a speech or it can happen in me playing with my kids, or it can happen in a small interaction with a security guard in a building when I’m recognizing them and exchanging a good word.
-

There is more to the interview, but these are the passages that stood out to me and showed Obama as someone who does not believe in the tenets of Christianity, but more in the fact that he is the center of his universe and if he is happy with himself, then that is all that matters. VERY narcissistic and self absorbed!

Nothing in his answers reflected a strong faith in God or Jesus. Every one of his answers involved himself and his views and his values.

He talks about collective salvation and civil religion. That is pure Black Liberation Theology and has nothing to do with Christianity!

Note, my husband is not Christian (nor am I) and his grandmother was black, so the historical significance of electing Obama was not lost on him. My husband was raised in Black Churches in Oklahoma and he has a very different view of the Black religious experience...although he was not attending for purposes of political expediency either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Republicans, please do not vote for Cruz in the primary. He has zero chance of winning a national election. Think! The comparisons to Reagan are misplaced. Reagan was charming. I haven't seen a lot of charm from Cruz. He comes across as condescending and a little douche-ey. I'm sure that's an unfair criticism, but it is how a lot of people see him.

A Cruz or Bush nomination is about the only thing that could guarantee a Hillary Clinton victory. She's another unlikeable candidate that will not inspire a lot of her base to vote for her, but put her up against a polarizing figure like Cruz and they will come out in droves to vote against him.

Nominate Scott Walker. He has a much better chance.

Really? Ron Paul supporters bolt Rand Paul camp - Ben Schreckinger - POLITICO

But instead of embracing the Kentucky senator, many of those grass-roots activists are turning their backs on him, disillusioned by the younger Paul’s concessions to mainstream politics.

One of the most prominent defectors is Drew Ivers, chairman of Ron Paul’s 2012 Iowa campaign, who says he will not endorse Rand Paul for president. On Tuesday, three members of Iowa’s Ron Paul-aligned Liberty movement — state Sen. Jason Shultz and former Iowa Republican Party central committee members Chad Steenhoek and Joel Kurtinitis — announced the same, adding that they will support Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. Ivers said he does not plan to endorse any candidate.

So there you have another sector of the GOP getting behind a Cruz candidacy.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,823,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, we finally agree on something. Lying is a tool. And no one does it better than Ted Cruz:

"Cruz’s Politifact track record for publicly-asserted falsehoods is the second-highest among front-runners, totaling 56 percent of all statements they’ve looked at. The only other leading contender with a higher rating is Ben Carson, who has a 100 percent “pants on fire” history, the result mainly of his brief time in the national spotlight and only having given Politifact one assertion to check—that people choose to be gay."

The Truth Behind Ted Cruz

Cruz is a consummate liar. And irony of all ironies, his campaign video is titled "A Time For Truth." The thing is, for Teddy, that time never comes.
Enough said.

Fact Check: Ted Cruz Attack Proves PolitiFact Is Run By Gigantic ***holes

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...ntic-*******s/

Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,337,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I am neither a birther, .....
do you believe obama has released a legitimate birth certificate? do you believe his personal records are "sealed"?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
OK, so there have been a lot of opinions back and forth, some very strident. What should you believe?

Here is a great concise summary of what you need to know about Ted Cruz:

Who Is Ted Cruz? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

So you get your information about who you vote for from a satirical website? I bet you voted for Obama twice!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This from the person that posted "BHussainO"

Seriously?

At least I know how to spell "Rafael."

I was showing the absurdity of all this "Rafael Edward Cruz" nonsense. Making fun of someone's name is about as 3rd grade as someone can get. Would you not agree?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Nope. The best I could have done was to choose between the plans my employer offered, if the employer offered more than one - most small employers offer only one plan. Where there was a choice, some plans took a major medical approach, others included vision/dental, some required more out-of-pocket from me. Absolutely none were segregated by male needs/female needs, for the very sensible reason that they were designed to cover all members of an employee's family - a family, you may have noticed, often includes more than one sex.

Your statement is just plain IGNORANT of how employer-offered group health plans work.

You didn't HAVE to take your employers insurance. You weren't MANDATED by FORCE of TAXATION to be insured. Once again you fail to understand that the underpinning of Obamacare is a FORCED MANDATE TO BUY SPECIFIC INSURANCE.

You could have declined your employer insurance and purchased catastrophic insurance for yourself or your family at an incredibly lower rate. You had A CHOICE!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,337,946 times
Quote:
I was showing the absurdity of all this "Rafael Edward Cruz" nonsense.
if i'm not mistaken that's exactly what those using "rafael" were doing in response to 6 years of "hussein" and "soetoro".

Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
if i'm not mistaken that's exactly what those using "rafael" were doing in response to 6 years of "hussein" and "soetoro".
WB - you KNOW how their memories work. If a Dem says or does something, it is the first time ever in the history of the world.

Doesn't matter how many times they are reminded of how nasty some were, for example, to Chelsea Clinton or how they still mangle the President's name, they are the eternal victims, never the perpetrators.

And of course, it will do little good to remind them that the greatest "insults" to Sen. Cruz will come from members of his own party should he make it to the primaries.

Because, hey, that's different.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,378,751 times
Quote:
So you get your information about who you vote for from a satirical website? I bet you voted for Obama twice!
Hey, thank you for making the Onion link show up again, everybody should read it.

I did not come within a mile of voting for Barack Obama. That is why I'm opposed to the candidacy of another person who elevates ideology over common sense, is totally self-absorbed, has just a freshman senator's perspective on how to do the work of the people, is known primarily for being a great speaker...Obama and Cruz are the Kardashians of American politics.

Let's try something different next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections