U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,259,314 times

Advertisements

A couple of recent interviews where Ted Cruz's answers were phenomenal:

On Climate Change - which is really the point no one wants to address:

"You mentioned Global Warming. I'm a big believer that we should follow the science, and follow the evidence. If you look at Global Warming alarmists, they don't like to look at the actual facts and the data. The satellite data demonstrate that there has been no significant Global Warming, whatsoever, for 17 years. Now that is a real problem for the Global Warming alarmists because the whole computer model on which this issue was based predicted significant warming, yet, the satellite data show it ain't happening."

"Let's talk about having humility. I read, this morning, in a Newsweek article from the 1970's, talking about Global Cooling. It said, 'The science is clear, it is overwhelming, we are in a cooling period and it's going to cause enormous problems worldwide, and the solution for all the advocates in the 70's of Global Cooling was massive government control of the energy sector, of our economy and aspects of our lives. Now, the data proved to be not backing up that theory, so then all the advocates of Global Cooling suddenly shifted to Global Warming and they advocated, it's warming, and the solution, interestingly enough, was the exact same solution, government control of the energy sector and every aspect of our lives. Then the data doesn't back that up, so if you have noticed the term has shifted and now, suddenly, it's Climate Change. And, again, the solution is government control of the energy sector and every aspect of our lives. When someone keeps proposing the same solution, regardless of the problem, you start to think maybe they just like government control of the energy sector and every aspect of our lives. I am the child of two mathematicians and scientists. I believe in following evidence and data. On the Global Warming alarmists, anyone who actually points to the evidence, disproving their apocalyptic claims, they don't engage in reasoned debate. What do they do? They scream, 'You're a denier'. They brand you a heretic. Today the Global Warming Alarmists are the equivalent of the 'Flat-Earthers'. It used to be accepted scientific evidence that the earth is flat and this heretic Galileo was branded a denier. And you know what? They are making a whole lot of money. Al Gore has made millions of dollars off of Global Warming. And a lot of these scientists that are most vocal about it, are receiving massive grants on this theory that data is not backing up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6nDrqUKKA#t=203

On military engagements in Syria:

"We need seriousness to destroy Isis, and we need to do whatever it takes militarily to do that. Part of the problem is that this is debated as a political matter in Washington. This should be a military question. What is necessary to defeat Isis?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4o-T9kkRg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM

14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Republicans have a chance, and they always did. They screwed that chance up, no one else. Look what they offered us to choose from. Not much, and less. Look how bad they got trounced. Then imagine what Cruz is going to be, since McCain and Romney where both Miles ahead of Cruz as choices. Democrats are probably contributing to his campaign. Like the Piper, his Lemmings will follow him right off the cliff, and take their votes into limbo with them.
Mitt Romney was miles and miles ahead of Barack Obama, and still was vilified by the press.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I was showing the absurdity of all this "Rafael Edward Cruz" nonsense. Making fun of someone's name is about as 3rd grade as someone can get. Would you not agree?
You are reminding me of comments I've heard coming out of Washington - "The average American isn't smart enough, we have to make these decisions for them."

No wonder we get rolled all the time.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,560,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You are fairly new here, so I shall explain:
How condescending.

Quote:
Some years ago, Rush Limbaugh delighted, when speaking of President Obama, in calling him by his full name: Barack Hussein Obama, with Rush emphasizing the "Hussein".
Complete hogwash!

Quote:
If a caller asked why Rush engaged in this practice, Rush would respond "But, that is his name!"

Of course, many of his listeners decided to do the same herein, many writing "Barack Hussein Obama". They would be delighted when a poster would ask the same question as to Rush.
Oh, please. This is totally made up.

Quote:
Thus, a week or so ago (when Senator Cruz made his announcement), I believe I was among the first to refer to Senator Cruz by his full name: Rafael Edward Cruz. It is, after all, his name. Totally innocent on my part.
No it isn't.

Quote:
As I said in my original posting, it is likewise proper, if one so choose, to refer to him as "Senator Cruz". I believe in using titles that one has earned.
Sure, and I'll bet you have always referred to President Bush as "President Bush," never "Bush" or "W" or "Mr. Bush?"

Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He was the Director of Policy Planning at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. Like the yelps about another minority GOP candidate of which everyone seems to conveniently forget was the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery not just some doctor.

Ted Cruz:

Cruz entered a Houston-based group at age 13 called the Free Market Education Foundation where he learned about free-market economic philosophers.

Cruz was the valedictorian of his 1988 Houston high school graduating class.

Graduated *** laude from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Policy.

Won the top speaker awards at the 1992 U.S. National Debating Championship and the 1992 North American Debating Championship. In 1992, he was named U.S. National Speaker of the Year, as well as Team of the Year, with his debate partner. Was a semi-finalist at the 1995 World Universities Debating Championship.

Senior thesis on the separation of powers.

Graduated magna *** laude from Harvard Law School in 1995 with a Juris Doctor degree.

So, this person the media calls stupid and nutty has been out of school for 20 years and this is what he's done:

Law clerk to J. Michael Luttig of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in 1995 and William Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States in 1996.

Took a position with a private law firm, Cooper, Carvin & Rosenthal, now known as Cooper & Kirk, LLC, from 1997 to 1998.

Was a domestic policy advisor for the George W. Bush presidential campaign in 1999, advising then-Governor George W. Bush on a wide range of policy and legal matters.

Assisted in assembling the Bush legal team, devising strategy, and drafting pleadings in 2000.

Served as an associate deputy attorney general in the U.S. Justice Department and as the Director of Policy Planning at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission after Bush took office.

Was appointed Solicitor General of Texas by then Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and served in that position from 2003 - 2008.

Was named by American Lawyer magazine as one of the 50 Best Litigators under 45 in America, by The National Law Journal as one of the 50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America, and by Texas Lawyer as one of the 25 Greatest Texas Lawyers of the Past Quarter Century.

Worked in a private law firm in Houston, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP until he was sworn in as U.S. Senator from Texas in 2013.

His accomplishments in those positions are on his Wikipedia page:

Ted Cruz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So valedictorian in high school, graduating college and an ivy league law school with honors, a series of government and private practice jobs with accomplishments and finally his awards --- so let the media keep saying he's stupid and crazy and not let the facts get in their way. The way I see it, they're the stupid ones and so is everyone who parrots them.

I'm not committing to any candidate orally or monetarily until I see who makes it to my primary but I must say, for not pushing through something to rotate the primary voting states, I hold that against everyone who ever worked on Capitol Hill.
I wanted to rep you, but must have done that too many times already, so I will bump your post in agreement!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 PM

920 posts, read 501,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
do you believe obama has released a legitimate birth certificate? do you believe his personal records are "sealed"?

He released two forms of his birth certificate. He has never released any of his collegiate records and no one who has tried to access them has been able to.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
if i'm not mistaken that's exactly what those using "rafael" were doing in response to 6 years of "hussein" and "soetoro".

Really - why? If they found it so offensive and immature, why emulate the practice. Aren't most people above that?

I will note that the Obama administration acts less grown up than administrations of the past. Maybe his voters are following his lead.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,393,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Republicans have a chance, and they always did. They screwed that chance up, no one else. Look what they offered us to choose from. Not much, and less. Look how bad they got trounced. Then imagine what Cruz is going to be, since McCain and Romney where both Miles ahead of Cruz as choices. Democrats are probably contributing to his campaign. Like the Piper, his Lemmings will follow him right off the cliff, and take their votes into limbo with them.
The Republicans chose the most moderate candidates available in 2008 and 2012, and failed miserably. All the talk from the moderates about how they would rally for these guys turned out to be just talk. Either the moderates- people like Megan McCain- were either b-s'ing the Republicans or that there just isn't that much of a market for moderates to start with and rallying every moderate in the country wouldn't make a difference.

On the other hand, the Democrats in 2008, nominated the furthest left candidate they had.

The electorate is there looking to be offered options, the weak "me-too-ism" to the Democratic Party platform isn't going to cut it.

Cruz is an excellent speaker, but there are other conservatives who may throw their hats into the ring. Doing what caused catastrophe in 08 and 12 again, and expecting a different result, would be the wrong move for the GOP. Offer a real choice. They may still lose, but they'll lose for certain going down the same path again.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey, thank you for making the Onion link show up again, everybody should read it.

I did not come within a mile of voting for Barack Obama. That is why I'm opposed to the candidacy of another person who elevates ideology over common sense, is totally self-absorbed, has just a freshman senator's perspective on how to do the work of the people, is known primarily for being a great speaker...Obama and Cruz are the Kardashians of American politics.

Let's try something different next time.

Right...A guy who clerked for a Justice of the Supreme Court, advised a Presidential candidate on public policy, Was the director of public policy for the FCC and was Solicitor General of Texas is equal to a Kardashian???

You use a very odd metric system.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Right...A guy who clerked for a Justice of the Supreme Court, advised a Presidential candidate on public policy, Was the director of public policy for the FCC and was Solicitor General of Texas is equal to a Kardashian???

You use a very odd metric system.
OK, you got me. I will admit it.

This guy just makes my skin crawl. He has the air of a snake oil salesman. I do think the "defunding" nonsense disqualified him for serious consideration, but the guy is bright and does have a resume. You are right about that. But you'd practically have to be a Texan to like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections