Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He has not argued and won all 9 cases he has argued before the Supreme Court
He didn't win them all. Frew v Hawkins was a resounding 9-0 loss. Dretke v Haley was an inconclusive mishmash in which Cruz claimed victory but not many credited him with one. Kennedy v Louisiana was a major embarrassment for him, it was revealed that he didn't even do basic research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
He didn't win them all. Frew v Hawkins was a resounding 9-0 loss. Dretke v Haley was an inconclusive mishmash in which Cruz claimed victory but not many credited him with one. Kennedy v Louisiana was a major embarrassment for him, it was revealed that he didn't even do basic research.

You are correct, he argued 7 wins, with the Michel Haley case a wash in the end after the judgement, releasing on time served.

In Kennedy v. Louisiana, Congress allowed such a punishment for the same crime under military court-martial.None of the briefs filed in the case mentioned it, and neither did Mr. Cruz, who had argued in support of Louisiana on behalf of 10 states.

The oversight did not affect the ruling in Jessica's Law, as Louisiana raised the issue when it requested a rehearing, which was denied.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It may not but it's Texas. Since the 1968 election it has mostly been a red state. The main reason it was blue in 1960 & 64 was LBJ being on the ticket. Texas is a Republican safe house like most of the south. Using his Texas win for a predictor for a national race like the primaries and general presidential election doesn't compute.
I don't think Texas is a Republican safe house. I think it's a complicated state, a large state with many demographic factions, and that Democrats do impact elections in Texas. Ann Richards.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think Texas is a Republican safe house. I think it's a complicated state, a large state with many demographic factions, and that Democrats do impact elections in Texas. Ann Richards.
It certainly helped Ms. Richards that she had odious opponents: in the Democratic primary she was up against Jim Maddox (who ran a particularly dirty campaign, feeling it was best to highlight Ms. Richard's alcoholism, which she had long beat), and then she was up against Republican Clayton Williams, the oilman that decided he would impress women by making a joke about rape ("relax and enjoy it"). Even then, it was a close race (with a Libertarian obviously taking some of William's votes away).

The stars do not align that often. I feel that Texas is safely Republican for the near future.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It certainly helped Ms. Richards that she had odious opponents: in the Democratic primary she was up against Jim Maddox (who ran a particularly dirty campaign, feeling it was best to highlight Ms. Richard's alcoholism, which she had long beat), and then she was up against Republican Clayton Williams, the oilman that decided he would impress women by making a joke about rape ("relax and enjoy it"). Even then, it was a close race (with a Libertarian obviously taking some of William's votes away).

The stars do not align that often. I feel that Texas is safely Republican for the near future.
Perhaps so but with immigration from Latin America and inter-nation migration, primarily from California I think in the long term Texas will go purple. Maybe not for another decade or so but I think it will happen. In fact, I believe that the current north-south migrations have the potential to completely change the electoral map in the long term. We have people moving from CA to Texas, NJ to North Carolina, NY to Florida, we have people from the Midwest moving to New York, we have all sorts of immigrants, etc and this will have a big impact on politics.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:39 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Clayton was up by 11 points until he made his stupid remark. Richards wouldn't have won.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Clayton was up by 11 points until he made his stupid remark. Richards wouldn't have won.
With that point, it is very well quite possible that it is hard. Arizona has had an occasional Democratic Governor but typically they are blue-dog and not liberals. Despite that, it is safe presidentially.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
With that point, it is very well quite possible that it is hard. Arizona has had an occasional Democratic Governor but typically they are blue-dog and not liberals. Despite that, it is safe presidentially.
Napolitano was pretty much hard-left, Obama gave her a pretty big job, and she played her role strictly partisan, stirring up conservatives by labeling them "terror threats".

I wouldn't call her much of a "blue dog". I believe she is chief university provost at Berkeley now, not indicative of "moderation".

Old 04-08-2015, 03:59 PM

165 posts, read 206,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's been reported that as soon as Ted announced, BuzzFeed assigned three reporters to try to dig up dirt on Ted's dad. This is where the left is getting their information from. Unfortunately, there isn't much to "dig up" except for his fathers attacks on their "Dear Leader." Anyone who attacks Obama for any reason is suspect.

As one patriot put it, "When you cannot effectively refute a persons ideas, attack their Daddy like a fourth grader."
Ted Cruz's father is an avowed birther, meaning he holds in his heart that the president was born in Kenya and therefore not really our president.
That alone tells me this guy doesn't have a grasp on reality.
Sure, he can scream real loud and get other birthers in a tizzy but he's still just a stark raving moon-bat.
And anybody that this stark raving moon bat has influence over (his son, ted) does not belong in the white house.
Sorry, you can be all the crazy you want but that doesn't get you a ticket to prez-ville.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Dad will not be on the ballot however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections