Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 11:15 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Why are you so fixated on his name? I find that an interesting insight into your considerations about voting. Sounds like you put the same level of thought and investigation into the candidates you vote for as someone else does when picking a racehorse, because the name sounds lucky.
You are fairly new here, so I shall explain:

Some years ago, Rush Limbaugh delighted, when speaking of President Obama, in calling him by his full name: Barack Hussein Obama, with Rush emphasizing the "Hussein". If a caller asked why Rush engaged in this practice, Rush would respond "But, that is his name!"

Of course, many of his listeners decided to do the same herein, many writing "Barack Hussein Obama". They would be delighted when a poster would ask the same question as to Rush.

Thus, a week or so ago (when Senator Cruz made his announcement), I believe I was among the first to refer to Senator Cruz by his full name: Rafael Edward Cruz. It is, after all, his name. Totally innocent on my part.

As I said in my original posting, it is likewise proper, if one so choose, to refer to him as "Senator Cruz". I believe in using titles that one has earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 AM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You are fairly new here, so I shall explain:

Some years ago, Rush Limbaugh delighted, when speaking of President Obama, in calling him by his full name: Barack Hussein Obama, with Rush emphasizing the "Hussein". If a caller asked why Rush engaged in this practice, Rush would respond "But, that is his name!"

Of course, many of his listeners decided to do the same herein, many writing "Barack Hussein Obama". They would be delighted when a poster would ask the same question as to Rush.

Thus, a week or so ago (when Senator Cruz made his announcement), I believe I was among the first to refer to Senator Cruz by his full name: Rafael Edward Cruz. It is, after all, his name. Totally innocent on my part.

As I said in my original posting, it is likewise proper, if one so choose, to refer to him as "Senator Cruz". I believe in using titles that one has earned.

So you are basically lowering yourself to Rush Limbaugh status? I usually refer to office holders/candidates by their last names. It is easier when posting and most people know who Obama, Cruz, Bush, Clinton, etc. are, just by the last name. Of course there are some exceptions when dealing with political dynasties like the Clintons and Bushes.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you guys think Rafael Cruz is your man, then by all means pick him, it will be fun watching him get crushed in the general election.

Thanks for allowing me to vote for who I want.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
So you are basically lowering yourself to Rush Limbaugh status? I usually refer to office holders/candidates by their last names. It is easier when posting and most people know who Obama, Cruz, Bush, Clinton, etc. are, just by the last name. Of course there are some exceptions when dealing with political dynasties like the Clintons and Bushes.
I view it more as having fun with those whom like to refer to President Obama's middle name as evidence of his being "Muslim" or such.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
OK, so there have been a lot of opinions back and forth, some very strident. What should you believe?

Here is a great concise summary of what you need to know about Ted Cruz:

Who Is Ted Cruz? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 03-27-2015, 12:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Why are you so fixated on his name? I find that an interesting insight into your considerations about voting. Sounds like you put the same level of thought and investigation into the candidates you vote for as someone else does when picking a racehorse, because the name sounds lucky.
This from the person that posted "BHussainO"

Seriously?

At least I know how to spell "Rafael."

Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As one patriot put it, "When you cannot effectively refute a persons ideas, attack their Daddy like a fourth grader."
Must have been a Republican Tea. That's right out of their playbook. In fact they are still attacking Obamas family, after 7 years. At least now they are leaving his kids alone.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Here you go.

I think Christie is a power-seeking, bombastic and arrogant goon, and not particularly bright.

This jury is still out on the crazy part, though.

And would still get more votes that Cruz. His "Jury" on "Crazy" has come in a long time ago, by unanimous vote. No one in his or her right mind would want a "Jim Jones" for President.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Why do you think that? Don't you realize that any Republican who is nominated is going to be demonized just as much as Cruz is being demonized now?

Even the hapless John McCain, who bent over backwards to be "one of the guys" among the media and his liberal friends across the aisle, was slammed as a reincarnation of Genghis Khan when he finally got the nomination.

Maybe ANY Republican doesn't stand a chance, that's certainly an argument that can be made. But picking on one guy, Cruz, I don't think so. He stands as much a chance as any of them.
Republicans have a chance, and they always did. They screwed that chance up, no one else. Look what they offered us to choose from. Not much, and less. Look how bad they got trounced. Then imagine what Cruz is going to be, since McCain and Romney where both Miles ahead of Cruz as choices. Democrats are probably contributing to his campaign. Like the Piper, his Lemmings will follow him right off the cliff, and take their votes into limbo with them.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Just because YOU agreed to pay for it doesn't mean you were forced to pay for it. You had a choice to pay for that plan or find another one with different coverage, like a catastrophic plan or one that covered only office visits, etc.

Your statement is just plain WRONG!
Nope. The best I could have done was to choose between the plans my employer offered, if the employer offered more than one - most small employers offer only one plan. Where there was a choice, some plans took a major medical approach, others included vision/dental, some required more out-of-pocket from me. Absolutely none were segregated by male needs/female needs, for the very sensible reason that they were designed to cover all members of an employee's family - a family, you may have noticed, often includes more than one sex.

Your statement is just plain IGNORANT of how employer-offered group health plans work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections