U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 06:22 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,327,830 times

Advertisements

As I read this wonderful soldier's final letter to his friends, family and the world, I could not help but think that he is dead and Bush and the Republicans (the Warmonger Party) are the reason this great man and husband is no longer with us. No, he will never again write us another letter from the front or share a moment of laughter with us or a moment of love with his family. He is gone now thanks to the warmongers and Mr Bush. I will never again refer to Bush as "President" Bush because he certainly is not my president. While I might be able to understand this soldier's death if it were for a worthy cause, I will never understand his death for a LIE. Not now and not ever! This is why it is so very important that we get out and vote for change and not be sidetracked by lies and slants and polls. Stick to the issues- the most important being WHY this soldier is dead and WHO is responsible. It is time for change and if reading this does not make you cry and scream in anger, nothing will. Here is a small sample of a soldier's FINAL letter:

I write this in part, admittedly, because I would like to think that there's at least a little something out there to remember me by. Granted, this site will eventually vanish, being ephemeral in a very real sense of the word, but at least for a time it can serve as a tiny record of my contributions to the world. But on a larger scale, for those who knew me well enough to be saddened by my death, especially for those who haven't known anyone else lost to this war, perhaps my death can serve as a small reminder of the costs of war. Regardless of the merits of this war, or of any war, I think that many of us in America have forgotten that war means death and suffering in wholesale lots. A decision that for most of us in America was academic, whether or not to go to war in Iraq, had very real consequences for hundreds of thousands of people. Yet I was as guilty as anyone of minimizing those very real consequences in lieu of a cold discussion of theoretical merits of war and peace. Now I'm facing some very real consequences of that decision; who says life doesn't have a sense of humor?

But for those who knew me and feel this pain, I think it's a good thing to realize that this pain has been felt by thousands and thousands (probably millions, actually) of other people all over the world. That is part of the cost of war, any war, no matter how justified. If everyone who feels this pain keeps that in mind the next time we have to decide whether or not war is a good idea, perhaps it will help us to make a more informed decision. Because it is pretty clear that the average American would not have supported the Iraq War had they known the costs going in. I am far too cynical to believe that any future debate over war will be any less vitriolic or emotional, but perhaps a few more people will realize just what those costs can be the next time.

You can read all of it and all his letters at: Andrew Olmsted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 PM

10,866 posts, read 11,939,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Bush and the Republicans (the Warmonger Party)

1. WWI who was President?

Woodrow Wilson - Democrat

2. WWII who was President?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman - Democrats

3. Korean War who was President?

Harry S. Truman - Democrat

4. Vietnam War who as President?

LBJ - Democrat

5. Who dropped a nuke on Japan?

Truman - Democrat

It appears that for every major war of the 20th century, a Democrat was sitting President.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,584,655 times
In addition to that, Clinton sent U.S. troops to more foreign countries than Bush has.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,002,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
In addition to that, Clinton sent U.S. troops to more foreign countries than Bush has.

And how many wars of choice did he start during that time?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

1. WWI who was President?

Woodrow Wilson - Democrat

2. WWII who was President?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman - Democrats

3. Korean War who was President?

Harry S. Truman - Democrat

4. Vietnam War who as President?

LBJ - Democrat

5. Who dropped a nuke on Japan?

Truman - Democrat

It appears that for every major war of the 20th century, a Democrat was sitting President.
Of these wars, only Veitnam was an elective war. I guess you could argue maybe Korea too and I would oppose those wars. The others were all fostered upon us. The fact is that we have had way too many wars and many of us are tired of living in a country that is constantly at war punctuated by only small periods of peace. It should be the other way around. Wars should be rare and only when necessary and this one certainly was not. And for me THE issue at this point is who is going to stop this foolishness and not who started it because the people who started will be gone off the stage in less than a year. I do not want hear things like "troops in Iraq until 2015" and "permanent bases" there. I want every troop home as quickly as they can be put on a plane and flown home. And I also think that EVERY troop over there should- in ADDITION to combat pay and benefits- also be given at least 6 months of fully paid leave time so that they can be with family and friends and take a nice long "decompression" vacation.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,502,921 times
Default Let's play the Lame Duck game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I do not want hear things like "troops in Iraq until 2015" and "permanent bases" there. I want every troop home as quickly as they can be put on a plane and flown home. And I also think that EVERY troop over there should- in ADDITION to combat pay and benefits- also be given at least 6 months of fully paid leave time so that they can be with family and friends and take a nice long "decompression" vacation.
The same could be said for the last couple of wars. However, you called the Republicans a "Warmonger Party" based on one individual's motives to be in war. When proven wrong, you beat around the Bush - literally and figuratively.

And as for your topic of choice - Why this election is important - all elections are important. Elections are a way that the general populous gets a chance to tell our politicians who and what we are - and lately we (the general population) have given the message of being Sheep.

Sheeple.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 AM

17,793 posts, read 19,813,321 times
I think regardless of Republican or Democrat, war is bad. It doesn't really matter on party affiliation but on personal conviction. When people have nothing to risk into sending others to war, why not? I think it is funny that the royal family in the UK didn't let their grandsons into war based on the "chance" they might get hurt. Isn't that war? It is sad and the war will be remember anything but "Mission Complete".. Democrats are no better than Republicans because they are essentially the same thing... rhetoric machines

Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 AM

5,396 posts, read 7,070,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
The same could be said for the last couple of wars. However, you called the Republicans a "Warmonger Party" based on one individual's motives to be in war. When proven wrong, you beat around the Bush - literally and figuratively.

And as for your topic of choice - Why this election is important - all elections are important. Elections are a way that the general populous gets a chance to tell our politicians who and what we are - and lately we (the general population) have given the message of being Sheep.

Sheeple.
Agree about the sheeple, but these elections do reflect a somewhat different basic philosophy about the "War on Terror" between the parties, giving us a pretty stark contrast on their future global visions of War and International Engagement. With the exception of Paul on the Republican side, and I don't trust Hillary on the Democract side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or