U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 AM

39,995 posts, read 24,249,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think not trusting someone because of their beliefs makes any sense.
I have to ask, what criteria do you think DOES make sense when determining whom to trust? For me, a person's beliefs are pretty important, because they tell me about that person's values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,346,523 times
Quote:
I really don't think anyone considers it a qualification for President. I am not a Cruz supporter, he isn't going to the nomination, but if he feels better bring religion into every conversation, just let it go. You probably would not vote for him anyway. I don't think not trusting someone because of their beliefs makes any sense. Would you feel the same about an athiest or agnostic?
I'd say we better be distrusting of someone that is explicitly saying that their beliefs are influencing policy. A lot of modern Republican candidates have put religion and pandering to the religious right front and center. It used to be to get votes, but now the candidates themselves are true believers themselves. We had better be discussing it.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,259,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have to ask, what criteria do you think DOES make sense when determining whom to trust? For me, a person's beliefs are pretty important, because they tell me about that person's values.
Very true!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM

18,977 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Quote:
I really don't think anyone considers it a qualification for President. I am not a Cruz supporter, he isn't going to the nomination, but if he feels better bring religion into every conversation, just let it go. You probably would not vote for him anyway. I don't think not trusting someone because of their beliefs makes any sense. Would you feel the same about an athiest or agnostic?
There is a difference between having strong religious beliefs and RUNNING and wanting to make POLICY DECISIONS based on those religious beliefs.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 6,033,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Then why mention just whites?? You missed the point while falsely playing the race card.

You mean the question while falsely playing the race card.

Because blacks didn't own slaves and Blacks are not Christians right?

I agree that you falsely play the race card.
You do know that simply mentioning race is not the same thing as "playing the race card," right? Because from your responses in this thread it appears that you don't understand the difference.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 PM

20,315 posts, read 9,823,088 times
Quote:
This is very different from whether Cruz is elegible to run. It has been determined he is;
not really.

altho most legal experts agree that cruz is most likely eligible it's still a direct question about the definition of "natural born citizen" that has not yet been addressed by the supreme court.

here are three great opinions on the topic:

On the Meaning of

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

Quote:
Have you researched the law?.
yep.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Anyway fact of the matter is both Cruz ad Obama are eligible, any questions about either were answered very early on.
the question of obama's eligibilty ( outside of the "fraudulent birth certificate" conspiracy theories ) were answered in ankeny v daniels:

"Based upon the language of Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 and the guidance provided by Wong Kim Ark, we conclude that persons born within the borders of the United States are "natural born Citizens" for Article II, Section 1 purposes, regardless of the citizenship of their parents."

altho i'm confident that cruz will be found eligible, it's a question that has yet to be directly addressed by the court.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM

35,053 posts, read 19,164,936 times
Default Ted Cruz's campaign for President will be an utter trainwreck

It doesn't matter.

Because clearly he isn't running for president.

He's just getting his name and face out there on a platform that'll get him maximum publicity, which is what he seeks. Because he isn't interested in public service. He may well give up his senate seat before his term is up to make megabucks Sarah Palin style. And avoid all those bothersome responsibilities that go with elected office.

So many suckers on the right getting taken for a ride.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

He's just getting his name and face out there on a platform that'll get him maximum publicity, which is what he seeks.
that's been my take on the subject.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM

22,064 posts, read 9,375,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It doesn't matter.

He's just getting his name and face out there on a platform that'll get him maximum publicity, which is what he seeks. Because he isn't interested in public service. He may well give up his senate seat before his term is up to make megabucks Sarah Palin style. And avoid all those bothersome responsibilities that go with elected office.

So many suckers on the right getting taken for a ride.
^^^^Yes, that is very much the conventional wisdom. Nobody believes he could get the GOP nomination never mind win the general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or