Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:07 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Ted's religious views may win him the evangelical vote in some of these early primary states come next year, but beyond that when he tries to appeal to the moderate middle, he will sink and sink fast when he finds that his Christian beliefs and how they affect his political views will be his undoing. This is the very same thing that affects Mike Huckabee and also why he will never be President. If you are perceived as one who is fundamentalist, I don't think you have any chance of being President, and in my opinion, thankfully so.
Reminds me of Ronald Reagan in 1979.

In summer of 1980, just a few months for the election, Ronald Reagan was running double digit numbers behind Jimmy Carter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
I guess I'm the exception here, but I think Ted Cruz is totally capable of running a good campaign if his base would only let him.

Problem is, they won't. He made his bed with the far right, and he probably won't jettison them in order to broaden his appeal.

That's the problem with black and Hispanic conservatives. They ALWAYS go over the top so that no one will question their bonafides. That's unnecessary since Republicans are happy to have any minority conservatives in their ranks.

A moderate black or Hispanic conservative would have incredible crossover appeal. Look what Herman Cain was able to do before the scandal. Even black voters found him palatable at a minimum.

By all rights, Ted Cruz should be cleaning up in the primaries and doing respectable numbers in the general. But he's too far to the right.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:20 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Ted's religious views may win him the evangelical vote in some of these early primary states come next year, but beyond that when he tries to appeal to the moderate middle, he will sink and sink fast when he finds that his Christian beliefs and how they affect his political views will be his undoing. This is the very same thing that affects Mike Huckabee and also why he will never be President. If you are perceived as one who is fundamentalist, I don't think you have any chance of being President, and in my opinion, thankfully so.
You assume he is going to campaign on religious issues.

That is not what I hear him talking about in speeches.

Even Obama had to court the Christian vote and try to present his Christian bona fides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I don't understand why candidates must talk religion. Separation of church and state, you know. Shouldn't that apply to politicians campaigning for office to do the "state's" work? They are not trying to become priests. Religion should be personal.
The is no such thing as separation of church and state.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
I think the entire election will be a joke from either side.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Even Obama had to court the Christian vote and try to present his Christian bona fides.

Obviously Courts disagree with you on that one.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Cruz is too far to the right. The U.S. may be a center-right country. It's not a far right country. Remember when Pat Buchannon ran as the Reform Party candidate. He got what? .1% of the vote? Cruz would do better but wouldn't beat Hilary. If the Repubs want to win in 2016 they've got to run someone closer to the center.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:

If his stance is putting people back to work, cutting taxes, reducing government, sending ground troops after ISIS, ensuring liberty for all Americans, and lowering the debt, then people will look past the religious peripherals. Besides, it beats all the crap that the incumbent has put on us.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

The problem though is that Ted will not be able to separate himself FROM his religious views in the minds of some voters. They will question whether or not his religious convictions will spill over into his views on issues and this connection alone will doom him with some in the moderate middle. He won't be able to distance himself on gay marriage or any other issue where personal religious beliefs intersect with political issues. He and his conservative religious oriented GOP brethren don't stand a chance in my opinion of going past next May.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If his stance is putting people back to work, cutting taxes, reducing government, sending ground troops after ISIS, ensuring liberty for all Americans, and lowering the debt, then people will look past the religious peripherals. Besides, it beats all the crap that the incumbent has put on us.

All the same "Snake Oil" every other Candidate has tried to sell to the Public. The only problem is, none of them want to tell you "How" they plan to do it. In Teds case, he has no clue how to do any of that. The only real act he ever did was shut down the Government costing Americans Billions of dollars. Who needs a President like that? Cruz is the next best thing to BOZO the clown.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
"Ted" Cruz is the living, breathing symbol of everything that is wrong with the Republican Party. People like him are killing our brand and making it harder for us to win presidential elections. People look at these Tea Party fools and their obsession with "conservative" purity, refusal to compromise, and "religious/cultural morals" and they are instantly repulsed from even thinking about voting for a more moderate Republican candidate.
You sure can't blame Canadian Influence on this nut bar, since his first breaths was "Canadian Air"....Thank God he gave up his Canadian Citizenship is all I can say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections