Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think this election is shaping up to be like 2004 in that it will be entirely focused on social issues like abortion, gay marriage, and religion in government. The religious right is the angriest they have ever been right now and with the national economy improving, I see the GOP running a "values voter" campaign. Since 2004 however demographics have changed as well as the country's overall acceptance of gay marriage so I don't see them being successful. Swing states like Colorado, Ohio, and Virginia will probably go blue handing the election to Hillary or whoever the Dems nominate. I think the Republican Party would have chance in 2016 if they would ditch social issues but I don't see them doing that, especially as angry as the religious right is over gay marriage right now.

Do you think social issues will dominate the 2016 campaign?
Like 2012, thanks to Barack Obama, you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You can rest assured it will be largely about income inequality and who people think will best address that problem...
most intelligent people know that income inequality is just a fabricated issue and not really all that important. Its far more important about the numbers who live in poverty, and how to deal with it..

Things like welfare, FAIL...
Jobs, and how to create them, should be the #1 issue, because surely it hasnt been addressed by this administration.

yes, jobs are up, but thats because they always climb after crashes. There was no where to go but up..

Other issue will be
immigration

Clearly ACA, Democrats will continue to delay damaging parts of the bill, and then when the kick in, and actually do some damage, they will try to blame the GOP for it..

And the national debt/deficits should all be primary issues.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
most intelligent people know that income inequality is just a fabricated issue and not really all that important. Its far more important about the numbers who live in poverty, and how to deal with it..

Things like welfare, FAIL...
Jobs, and how to create them, should be the #1 issue, because surely it hasnt been addressed by this administration.

yes, jobs are up, but thats because they always climb after crashes. There was no where to go but up..

Other issue will be
immigration

Clearly ACA, Democrats will continue to delay damaging parts of the bill, and then when the kick in, and actually do some damage, they will try to blame the GOP for it..

And the national debt/deficits should all be primary issues.
I suspect you aren't having trouble as a member of the working poor or the steadily sinking middle class workers.
Don't fool yourself. There are millions of once secure middle class workers who are now broke, jobless or working far below their abilities, and see no relief in sight.

There are millions of other workers who are in their late 40s to late 50s who are on welfare and have no hope of ever finding another job again in their lives.

The entire issue of immigration is one these Americans are paying attention to. The issues go hand in hand. When everyone is working, immigration isn't an issue at all.

If welfare is all a working man who can no longer find work has, he will fight to keep it until he finds a job. If he never finds a job, he will still fight for it. There are more white formerly middle class folks who are now on welfare than any other demographic group.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I suspect you aren't having trouble as a member of the working poor or the steadily sinking middle class workers.
Don't fool yourself. There are millions of once secure middle class workers who are now broke, jobless or working far below their abilities, and see no relief in sight.

There are millions of other workers who are in their late 40s to late 50s who are on welfare and have no hope of ever finding another job again in their lives.

The entire issue of immigration is one these Americans are paying attention to. The issues go hand in hand. When everyone is working, immigration isn't an issue at all.

If welfare is all a working man who can no longer find work has, he will fight to keep it until he finds a job. If he never finds a job, he will still fight for it. There are more white formerly middle class folks who are now on welfare than any other demographic group.
People arent broke because others have money. People are broke due to a lack of opportunities.

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, employ hundreds of thousands of individuals, Bill Gates pays lots of his employes 6+ figures a year.

Their wealth came through creating wealth of others.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Will 2016 be all about social issues?

Probably not.

But I sure hope it will be. Because the spittle spewing phony outrage from the teabagging right will be so entertaining.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Probably not.

But I sure hope it will be. Because the spittle spewing phony outrage from the teabagging right will be so entertaining.
You sure do have a lot of hate.. Let me guess, Democrat?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You sure do have a lot of hate.. Let me guess, Democrat?

Silly boy.

The teabaggers hung that label on themselves six years ago. It was so entertaining to see them then turn inside out trying to separate themselves from their own name.

They're so angry! Yet endlessly amusing.

I'd like to see them continue to be the driving force of the GOP, but sadly most of them will be gone in the next decade or so.

Oh, well. Maybe some other low-info right wingers will rise up to give us a continuing display of phony outrage.

Carry on.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I expect the Democrats to bring up the social issues at every possible opportunity. That strategy seems to work for them on a national level, as the Republicans are shy about returning fire.

Most people don't understand quantitative easing and talk about an $18 trillion debt is something few can get their brains about. On the other hand, issues like abortion, and gay marriage, and gun control, these are issues that people understand and what to hear about.

So the GOP will talk about economics and it will go in one ear and out the other of the voters.

The Dems will talk about the "war on women", and without a rebuttal they can't help but win the argument.
Exactly. GOP talks about the economy and reforms to balance the budget and the Dems turn it into "pushing grandma off a cliff" "putting blacks back in chains" and "the war on women"

Dems NEVER argue policy. They pander to low information, block voters that can be brainwashed to sacrifice their personal values/principles/beliefs to the collective. They want to be in with the . "in crowd" and they fear the retribution of standing up for their own beliefs and being called a "race-trader" a "hater/bigot" or some other name.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Social issues are nothing more than distractions from what's really important to our country. In the end, it's not even about those secondary social issues. It's going to be about the economy, securing the borders, ensuring protection of American citizens, and resuming our status as a free nation. The economy, however, will be the top priority.
you are right, however, you watch, every candidate does this....they won't touch the important issues, with a ten foot pole for fear of loosing voters...I wish just once, we'd get a candidate who didn't care and would vocalize his beliefs on all issues....and as far as I'm concerned, these social issues are a choice of living in the free world and shouldn't even be issues.... grrrrrr

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I think yes but when I say that, the Republicans will have to change. To have any chance to win, Republicans have to get away from the anti-gay issues. In light of the Indiana law, possible Republican candidates including Ben Carson, Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush support the law that allows businesses in Indiana to be discriminatory towards gays and those that do not share their beliefs. This wont help them if they have to win the general election on this issue. We all know Ted Cruz will likely support the law too (the only who is in the mix to not be entirely for the law are Rand Paul and Scott Walker.) If the Republicans lose, they will lose because they aren't moving to what a majority of the people want. If the majority want gay marriage or no ability for storeowners to refuse people's business just because they "look gay" or are gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections