Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times

Advertisements

Seriously, this has been urking me.

Why is the system not set up so that ALL PRIMARIES occur on the exact same day around the country.

We have politicians dropping out without waiting for all of the primaries to get done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Because we have a federal government, not a national government.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

Why is the system not set up so that ALL PRIMARIES occur on the exact same day around the country.

We have politicians dropping out without waiting for all of the primaries to get done...
People seem to have internally conflicting views on this issue. They might be worried about politicians dropping out of the race as the primaries go along, but how many of those politicians would have been able to run in the first place if they had to participate in a national primary from the get-go? If campaigns were going broke spending money in a relatively inexpensive state for TV ads and travel such as Iowa, how could they even contemplate participating in a national primary? People seem to want upstarts to have a chance, yet advocate a national system that would give an even larger advange to establishment candidates than it is now. I'm not saying one is better than the other (as a resident of a larger state, I'd like to have some say in the nominating process), but there are consequences no matter what you choose.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
If primarys were held on the same day, candidates would only campaign in Cali, Florida, Texas, Ohio, New Jersey, etc. This keep them honest to middle america.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
If you held the primaries all on one day, all the candidates would focus their campaign efforts on the more populated, urban areas. The staggering of primaries, while it does tend to force some candidates out early who might have better chances in states besides Iowa and New Hampshire, was intended that voters would have an opportunity to see and hear from the individual candidates. I read an article in the New York Times that suggested having regional primaries, and rotating the schedule of those primaries so that no particular states become so influential election after election.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

Without reading anyother answers, I'd say so the news media can use it to tell who we should vote for.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Without reading anyother answers, I'd say so the news media can use it to tell who we should vote for.
I think this is the answer!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,649 times
It really urks me that for the past two election cycles, the presidential nominee has already been determined by the time my state gets to vote. So, why should I bother to drive 18 miles to vote for someone who has already been selected?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

This is often asked, the reason has to do with campaigning. Can you imagine what it would be like to try and campaign in 50 states all at the same time? I think many have suggested there be regional primaries, maybe broken down to 4 or so. That would be one way to conpromise. I know what you mean though, both of my choices were out of the race before our primary. It almost gave us no reason to vote except there were a few local candidates that needed our votes.

Nita

Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
To give states political capital, like New Hampshire has a state law requiring primaries to be held two weeks before any other similar contest (caucases are not similar contests), because normally 1.3 million people would not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections