Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:08 PM

54 posts, read 43,373 times

Advertisements

Top Contenders for GOP 2016 running mate:

Susana Martinez- I believe everyone wants her on their ticket, but I do not believe she is interested. PROS- Hispanic female governor of a blue state and a politically important region. CONS- she does not seem interested.

Marco Rubio- While he will be running for president, I predict he will not win the nomination and be on everyone's short list (unless Jeb gets the nomination). PROS- Cuban-American senator, young, advantage for the battleground of Florida. CONS- Not many cons, he could not be ready for primetime yet.

Scott Walker- Much like Rubio, if Walker does not get the nomination, he could be a running mate choice. PROS- He has won many elections in the last few years (including recalls), so he could be seen as resilient. CONS- He has had many elections in the last few years (including recalls), so he could be seen as divisive.

Top Contenders for the Democratic 2016 running mate:

Julian Castro- I will go ahead and get this one out of the way. I do not think Hillary would want to pick Castro. He would steal the spotlight from her, potentially, as her number two. I think Hillary will pick a solid, dependable, yet not terribly exciting number two. She is supposed to be the selling point, not the running mate. PROS: He is young, Hispanic and from an important state (Texas); he would be seen as the future of the party when Hillary is a representative more of the past/old guard. CONS: Too young, inexperienced. Distract from Hillary, possibly.

Michael Bennet: PROS- He is from Colorado, a battleground state. He is not divisive and would be a safe number two choice. CONS- Not many, he is not exciting or groundbreaking, but he is not supposed to be either.

Mark Warner: Right now, I think Warner is the most likely choice for VP. PROS: He is from Virginia, a very important state; he is a moderate Dem, not polarizing; he has experience and success in the business sector. Like Bennet, he would be a successful number two without stealing spotlight. CONS: None of which I can think.

Tim Kaine: PROS- From Virginia, well-liked and well-versed in the party. He would play second fiddle fairly well. CONS- Maybe too "establishment" of a ticket.

-- So 1) who do you think GOP/Dem nominee WiLL choose 2) who do you think the nominees SHOULD choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:07 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,258,562 times
There is no way that Bennet and Warner are more viable than Kaine as a VP pick. Bennet will be in a dogfight for his seat and will need to ride the coattails to retain his seat.

I think the people with the best shot as D VP are: Cory Booker, Deval Patrick, Klobuchar, and Kaine.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:49 PM

17,320 posts, read 9,134,679 times
I think Julian Castro leads the pack for the Presidential Candidate for the Democratic Party.
Clinton will gain a lot of Texas votes (although not enough to carry the State) and he is the Hispanic Darling for the Left.

For the Republicans - they seem to just shoot themselves in the foot. I thought Romney/Ryan was a good match, but neither was "pure" enough for the Litmus Test crowd. Hard to guess what the Litmus Test crowd will do - National Security/Foreign Policy is going to be a big issue (and it needs to be as things are bad & getting worse) and not many have experience there, either as a Presidential or VP pick. Joe Biden was supposed to be the Obama Foreign Policy "expert" and we see how well that has worked with the World on Fire & in Chaos.

My GOP guesses are Brian Sandoval (Governor of NM) - he may run for the open Senate seat since Reid is quitting .... he will win the Senate. Robert Gates is my favorite - I don't believe there is a more experienced Republican alive than Bob Gates in a crisis, I think Lindsey Graham would be a decent pick - lot of knowledge & experience. Since those are sensible (particularly since there is not much Foreign Policy experience in the GOP Prez field) - we can be sure that none of them will be chosen.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,274,978 times
Since Hillary will be going with an identity politics approach, I figure that she would want to balance her ticket with a white male. I think she also would want to have someone younger so that he/she can serve as successor. But she might not have that luxury.

Her problem is that the D cupboard is somewhat bare, reflected in the fact that the party is having a tough time coming up with any alternatives to Hillary in case she should somehow falter, e.g. experience a major health issue.

What about Rahm Emanuel? He has the DC experience (served in the US House and both Clinton and Obama wh), and might help to unite the Obama/Clinton factions in the party.

What about Charles Schumer? Altho he is probably looking forward to being Senate leader, and could even wind up as Majority leader if Dems take back the Senate in 2016, which is a possibility at this point.

Since the Dem cupboard is so bare, she might look for an unconventional choice without much elected experience like say Jack Lew or Gene Sperllng, both budget/econ guys from the Obama admin. Another guy that springs to mind is Chris Van Hollen (D, MD) a House member and Nancy Pelosi's go-to guy on budget matters.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 PM

mufc1878 --

Sorry, I was not ranking the Democratic possibilities. I agree, I do not think Bennet has a better shot. I personally believe that Warner is the better choice for the ticket, but I think Kaine and Warner both are very high on Hillary's list.

Kibby--

Sandoval would be strong, but I do not see any way a pro-choice running mate can be chosen in today's GOP.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,274,978 times
For the GOP nominee, I don't think it will be as much of a problem. There are 10-15 people who could run for prez, and probably one of them will end up as VP.

As for Gates, he will be 72 on election day, is retired, probably wouldn't want it, and would be too old to run as a successor in 2024.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay1915 View Post
mufc1878 --

Sorry, I was not ranking the Democratic possibilities. I agree, I do not think Bennet has a better shot. I personally believe that Warner is the better choice for the ticket, but I think Kaine and Warner both are very high on Hillary's list.

Kibby--

Sandoval would be strong, but I do not see any way a pro-choice running mate can be chosen in today's GOP.
Kaine has a lot more juice within the party than Warner. Between those two, it isn't even close IMO.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Since Hillary will be going with an identity politics approach, I figure that she would want to balance her ticket with a white male. I think she also would want to have someone younger so that he/she can serve as successor. But she might not have that luxury.

Her problem is that the D cupboard is somewhat bare, reflected in the fact that the party is having a tough time coming up with any alternatives to Hillary in case she should somehow falter, e.g. experience a major health issue.

What about Rahm Emanuel? He has the DC experience (served in the US House and both Clinton and Obama wh), and might help to unite the Obama/Clinton factions in the party.

What about Charles Schumer? Altho he is probably looking forward to being Senate leader, and could even wind up as Majority leader if Dems take back the Senate in 2016, which is a possibility at this point.

Since the Dem cupboard is so bare, she might look for an unconventional choice without much elected experience like say Jack Lew or Gene Sperllng, both budget/econ guys from the Obama admin. Another guy that springs to mind is Chris Van Hollen (D, MD) a House member and Nancy Pelosi's go-to guy on budget matters.
Why would she want to balance the ticket with a white male over a black male like cory booker. If you are going to play identity politics, you might as well as go all in. WF, BM ticket.

I don't think the Dem Cupboard is that bare from a VP sense.

Klobuchar, Gillibrand, Schweitzer, Patrick, Booker, Kaine, Hickenlooper, Beshear.

4 wm's, 2 wf's, 2bm's right there that encompass governors & senators.

Hell even something out of left field like Stan McChrystal (I believe he's a D) could be put up.

I think the whole D cupboard is bare is overblown to be honest, esp for a VP slot.

The castro stuff is a bit embarrassing though. They are really lightweight.

Van Hollen is interesting because it could serve to temper the huge fight that's going to erupt for Mikulski's seat between him and Edwards.

However, putting a whitebread Maryland guy on the ticket doesn't open the map up.

If HRC is the nominee, and puts a white guy on her ticket, he will have to open the map up.

Otherwise, it'll be a minority male or white female.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM

mufc1878--

Again, I agree. My initial post said that Kaine was an establishment Democrat, saying he is the most well-versed in the party (from the list). A Clinton-Kaine ticket could give an impression of two career politicians, while also well-connected indeed. Warner, having experience both inside and oustide of government, might help Hillary's ticket.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:58 PM

9,869 posts, read 10,771,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay1915 View Post
Top Contenders for GOP 2016 running mate:

Susana Martinez- I believe everyone wants her on their ticket, but I do not believe she is interested. PROS- Hispanic female governor of a blue state and a politically important region. CONS- she does not seem interested.

Marco Rubio- While he will be running for president, I predict he will not win the nomination and be on everyone's short list (unless Jeb gets the nomination). PROS- Cuban-American senator, young, advantage for the battleground of Florida. CONS- Not many cons, he could not be ready for primetime yet.

Scott Walker- Much like Rubio, if Walker does not get the nomination, he could be a running mate choice. PROS- He has won many elections in the last few years (including recalls), so he could be seen as resilient. CONS- He has had many elections in the last few years (including recalls), so he could be seen as divisive.

Top Contenders for the Democratic 2016 running mate:

Julian Castro- I will go ahead and get this one out of the way. I do not think Hillary would want to pick Castro. He would steal the spotlight from her, potentially, as her number two. I think Hillary will pick a solid, dependable, yet not terribly exciting number two. She is supposed to be the selling point, not the running mate. PROS: He is young, Hispanic and from an important state (Texas); he would be seen as the future of the party when Hillary is a representative more of the past/old guard. CONS: Too young, inexperienced. Distract from Hillary, possibly.

Michael Bennet: PROS- He is from Colorado, a battleground state. He is not divisive and would be a safe number two choice. CONS- Not many, he is not exciting or groundbreaking, but he is not supposed to be either.

Mark Warner: Right now, I think Warner is the most likely choice for VP. PROS: He is from Virginia, a very important state; he is a moderate Dem, not polarizing; he has experience and success in the business sector. Like Bennet, he would be a successful number two without stealing spotlight. CONS: None of which I can think.

Tim Kaine: PROS- From Virginia, well-liked and well-versed in the party. He would play second fiddle fairly well. CONS- Maybe too "establishment" of a ticket.

-- So 1) who do you think GOP/Dem nominee WiLL choose 2) who do you think the nominees SHOULD choose?
Carly Fiorino will actually become one of the top vp choices. Cruz /Fiorino... Hispanic and a woman on the ticket for the GOP. Ofcourse the left would still portray them as angry old white men waging a war on women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections