U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,530 posts, read 16,685,880 times
Reputation: 26085

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This is for the federal elections. IMO there isn't too much difference between candidate X and Y in the Federal elections. So my hopes and bets are that the Republican party is slowly losing its edge, and some third party can take it's place.

I don't spend that much time researching Federal elections though, I save that for state and local elections, where both my vote and the actual candidate matter. So I just do a party line vote for anything federal. The exception may be the president, cause he is a more important figure and its hard not to find out the presidential candidates stances.
I moved from Seattle in 2003. A friend was having a house warming/going away party. House warming for her, going away part for me. Some of the people she invited I did not know, some of them I did. One co-worker decided to announce to everyone that I was a Conservative. (It's what tolerant liberals do, apparently.)

This of course caused one idiotic ******* to start sneering and screeching about evil Republicans, and she said, "Republicans. Snort. There's a dying breed."

Well, it's 12 years later, and we are still here...in fact...what just happened in the last election. Hmmm.

I don't care who you vote for, I DO care WHY you voted that way. That's the dumbest reason to vote for something. It's completely uneducated, and makes you look foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM
 
920 posts, read 500,932 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I moved from Seattle in 2003. A friend was having a house warming/going away party. House warming for her, going away part for me. Some of the people she invited I did not know, some of them I did. One co-worker decided to announce to everyone that I was a Conservative. (It's what tolerant liberals do, apparently.)

This of course caused one idiotic ******* to start sneering and screeching about evil Republicans, and she said, "Republicans. Snort. There's a dying breed."

Well, it's 12 years later, and we are still here...in fact...what just happened in the last election. Hmmm.

I don't care who you vote for, I DO care WHY you voted that way. That's the dumbest reason to vote for something. It's completely uneducated, and makes you look foolish.
Yes, the progressives in this state are just LOVELY to deal with...such tolerance and love of country around here. /sarc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,209,655 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Yes, the progressives in this state are just LOVELY to deal with...such tolerance and love of country around here. /sarc
They are largely low info, so don't sweat it. A few years ago there was a WA republican politician who had some success by putting 'GOP' instead of 'Republican' on his yard signs, campaign ads, etc.

I used to notice the strange body language that I'd get if I met someone, got to talking about politics, and mentioned that I was Republican. They would step backwards, raise eybrows, etc. as if I had just announced that I was a leper. Now I tell them that I'm a persuaded "GOP" when it comes to politics and they say, 'oh, isn't that nice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,489,733 times
Reputation: 18436
I have no interest in Republican candidates, and vote against them in every election. I encourage all my family, friends, and colleagues to do the same.

The Conservative party (GOP) is dying, and it's about time. They absolutely stink. We have no room in this society for a party which represents the old Dixie Confederacy in all they think and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 AM
 
5,367 posts, read 5,968,125 times
Reputation: 7158
Both parties are horrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,082 posts, read 7,617,092 times
Reputation: 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I have no interest in Republican candidates, and vote against them in every election. I encourage all my family, friends, and colleagues to do the same.

The Conservative party (GOP) is dying, and it's about time. They absolutely stink. We have no room in this society for a party which represents the old Dixie Confederacy in all they think and do.
I guess that means we'll just have to figure out how to get our guys elected without the support of McDonald's employees everywhere... shucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 13,981,882 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Both parties are horrible
BINGO!
We have a Winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,168 posts, read 2,615,302 times
Reputation: 2186
I hate to break it to you, but Bob Republican and George Republican and Tom Republican all vote the same way. It's not worth your time research them out. Politicans vote party line 90% or greater of the time. And plus the marginal benefit of your vote is like 0 for federal elections. So why spend time looking the candidates over. It doesn't matter.

Like I said, I don't really like either party, but I feel like the Republican party has a greater chance of slipping than the Democratic party does. Mainly because I think the Republican party has overstretched it's platform too far to the right, and a lot of it's voters are currently dying in nursing homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top