U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times
Reputation: 2231

Advertisements

This is for the federal elections. IMO there isn't too much difference between candidate X and Y in the Federal elections. So my hopes and bets are that the Republican party is slowly losing its edge, and some third party can take it's place.

I don't spend that much time researching Federal elections though, I save that for state and local elections, where both my vote and the actual candidate matter. So I just do a party line vote for anything federal. The exception may be the president, cause he is a more important figure and its hard not to find out the presidential candidates stances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,968,361 times
Reputation: 6464
This has to be the worst reason I have ever seen for voting one particular way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times
Reputation: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This has to be the worst reason I have ever seen for voting one particular way.
Lol, I do like their platform better than the Republicans, but I think on the most important issues, neither party gets the job done. So, I hope maybe another party may arise with a better platform that is willing to address the more important issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,968,361 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Lol, I do like their platform better than the Republicans, but I think on the most important issues, neither party gets the job done. So, I hope maybe another party may arise with a better platform that is willing to address the more important issues.
Then vote libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times
Reputation: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then vote libertarian.
I am indirectly. Libertarian would be the most likely to arise from a Republican party breakdown. And a democratic vote is a quicker way to break down the republican party than a libertarian vote is.

BTW when it's only Republican or Libertarian, I vote libertarian every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,968,361 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I am indirectly. Libertarian would be the most likely to arise from a Republican party breakdown. And a democratic vote is a quicker way to break down the republican party than a libertarian vote is.

BTW when it's only Republican or Libertarian, I vote libertarian every time.
The exact opposit is true, especially since republicans control a good majority of elected offices. The liberal dream of Republican Party dieing off is unfounded, baseless and, frankly, laughable.

Voting libertarian is the quickest way to increase the power of the libertarian party. Especially in local elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,283,014 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This is for the federal elections. IMO there isn't too much difference between candidate X and Y in the Federal elections. So my hopes and bets are that the Republican party is slowly losing its edge, and some third party can take it's place.

I don't spend that much time researching Federal elections though, I save that for state and local elections, where both my vote and the actual candidate matter. So I just do a party line vote for anything federal. The exception may be the president, cause he is a more important figure and its hard not to find out the presidential candidates stances.
If you are libertarian-oriented (as I consider myself to be) I am hard-pressed to think of a more wrong headed strategy than this. I know it's often said that D's & R's both draw from libertarian voters when there is no LP on the ballot. I find this tough to believe, and if true I can only figure that there are a lot of low-info libertarians out there. Do people realize that several of the recent LP prez candidates have been ex-Republicans? When was the last time a national Democrat flipped from D to L or vice-versa? I've never heard of that.

Plus the strategy to eliminate the GOP seems like a lost cause. GOP has the House, Senate, 31 govs. and 70% of state legislative bodies. This is like me, in my late 50's, hoping to win the Boston Marathon. ain't gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,484 posts, read 14,398,691 times
Reputation: 15888
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then vote libertarian.
Libertarians seldom get anything accomplished either. As much as all of us citizens hate it, stalemate and failure to legislate seems to be a safer way of staying in office that actually acting in the way the voters wanted to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,576 posts, read 33,830,937 times
Reputation: 14276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This is for the federal elections. IMO there isn't too much difference between candidate X and Y in the Federal elections. So my hopes and bets are that the Republican party is slowly losing its edge, and some third party can take it's place.

I don't spend that much time researching Federal elections though, I save that for state and local elections, where both my vote and the actual candidate matter. So I just do a party line vote for anything federal. The exception may be the president, cause he is a more important figure and its hard not to find out the presidential candidates stances.

We have had two progressive parties to choose from, for over the last 100 years.

Now the change is on the horizon and it gets rejected, by those frightened to be truly free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,576 posts, read 33,830,937 times
Reputation: 14276
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Libertarians seldom get anything accomplished either. As much as all of us citizens hate it, stalemate and failure to legislate seems to be a safer way of staying in office that actually acting in the way the voters wanted to see.

What exactly is the federal governments job, to accomplish?

National security
Trade balances
Securing liberty.



They are not doing very well at national security, allowing and even helping an invasion into this nation.
They have skewed trade balance to the point US workers are harmed.
Government stagnation is a good thing, where liberty is involved. Every law, act and regulation, take a little bit of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top