U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 PM
 
Location: in the soup
3,908 posts, read 1,652,987 times
Reputation: 4523

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It created a protected class of US citizens, other US citizens didn't get the same privileges.
That's not a specific action.

Can you please name a specific action that's currently banned under the Civil Rights Act that you would like to become legal?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Texas
26,827 posts, read 11,255,805 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Yes you should, if you can't discriminate on your own property you don't have true freedom. If I own the property why do I not have the right to choose who can be on it? Between civil rights legislation and property taxes it is clear that we do not have true property ownership in the United States. The state owns your property and you just rent from them.

I am not the inconsistent one, you are. You cannot believe in freedom if you believe that I have a right to your property.
Agreed. Freedom isn't piecemeal. You either believe in it or you don't. No one has the right to anothers work. Someone wants to ban another based on their skin color, sex, or religious beliefs, they should have the right to do so. They would be morally wrong imo but I have no right to use force to get what I want. No different than Jim Crow using force on others to make them stop serving blacks.
Government didn't turn the tide with the Civil Rights Act. We the people did through our civil disobedience and civil rights marches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
26,827 posts, read 11,255,805 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And?

Rand Paul is supporting segregationist policies now. I'd vote for neither.
No he doesn't. He supports the rights of the individual as far as the Constitution is concerned. He has never supported the act of segregation. But then again truth is treason to you. Typical of the false race card players. They cannot discuss the full truth so they make things up about a candidates position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM
 
Location: in the soup
3,908 posts, read 1,652,987 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. Freedom isn't piecemeal. You either believe in it or you don't. No one has the right to anothers work. Someone wants to ban another based on their skin color, sex, or religious beliefs, they should have the right to do so. They would be morally wrong imo but I have no right to use force to get what I want. No different than Jim Crow using force on others to make them stop serving blacks.
Government didn't turn the tide with the Civil Rights Act. We the people did through our civil disobedience and civil rights marches.
Southern conservatives- the same people who support Rand Paul now- fought TOOTH AND NAIL to keep segregation in place. And now ya'll are trying to claim that legacy? It'd be disgusting if anybody but hardened ideologues actually believed that. But as it is... it's pretty well laughable.

Oh those poor white Southerners... they WANTED to walk hand in hand with their black brothers and sisters, but eeeebil Big Government(TM) FORCED them to discriminate!

That Big Government! Forced them poor oppressed white southerners to lynch black people. Forced them to suppress minority votes, defend slavery and segregation with the same States Rights argument Rand Paul uses. What a horror Big Government is

For ya'lls sake I HOPE ya'll are just pulling my chain. Seriously- I was raised in the racist South, and never heard this argument. I was a Republican for years, and then a Libertarian, and never heard this one. So I can only conclude that this must've come from AM talk radio- and quite recently. If that's where it came from... then lord help us all if guys as intelligent as ya'll (and I DO mean that part) are so easily led.

I'm off to google this up. Good lord I hope ya'll just made this up on the spot and it didn't come from Talk Radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 PM
 
Location: in the soup
3,908 posts, read 1,652,987 times
Reputation: 4523
Ok, I checked this out with my mad google-skillz. And I am RELIEVED to conclude that this ridiculous notion that Big Government forced white people to discriminate is just an anomaly of this here city-data forum. I mean... I know right-wingers are gullible. The Republican party couldn't EXIST in its current form without a ignorant public eager to hear their hates and fears justified. But this! Wow... I don't think even Republicans could believe THIS en masse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,574 posts, read 33,889,281 times
Reputation: 14286
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And?

Rand Paul is supporting segregationist policies now. I'd vote for neither.

Now you're just lying to be lying. I have not heard of anyone talk of force segregation, but you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,574 posts, read 33,889,281 times
Reputation: 14286
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Southern conservatives- the same people who support Rand Paul now- fought TOOTH AND NAIL to keep segregation in place. And now ya'll are trying to claim that legacy? It'd be disgusting if anybody but hardened ideologues actually believed that. But as it is... it's pretty well laughable.

Oh those poor white Southerners... they WANTED to walk hand in hand with their black brothers and sisters, but eeeebil Big Government(TM) FORCED them to discriminate!

That Big Government! Forced them poor oppressed white southerners to lynch black people. Forced them to suppress minority votes, defend slavery and segregation with the same States Rights argument Rand Paul uses. What a horror Big Government is

For ya'lls sake I HOPE ya'll are just pulling my chain. Seriously- I was raised in the racist South, and never heard this argument. I was a Republican for years, and then a Libertarian, and never heard this one. So I can only conclude that this must've come from AM talk radio- and quite recently. If that's where it came from... then lord help us all if guys as intelligent as ya'll (and I DO mean that part) are so easily led.

I'm off to google this up. Good lord I hope ya'll just made this up on the spot and it didn't come from Talk Radio.

That generation is on their death beds and no harm to you any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
26,827 posts, read 11,255,805 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Southern conservatives- the same people who support Rand Paul now- fought TOOTH AND NAIL to keep segregation in place. And now ya'll are trying to claim that legacy? It'd be disgusting if anybody but hardened ideologues actually believed that. But as it is... it's pretty well laughable.
No one is trying to claim that legacy. It's just you falsely playing the race card because your chosen one has done such a horrible job you cannot discuss policy. To think it's about maintaining a legacy is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Oh those poor white Southerners... they WANTED to walk hand in hand with their black brothers and sisters, but eeeebil Big Government(TM) FORCED them to discriminate!
People who wanted to treat blacks as individuals couldn't because of the law. It doesn't surprise me that you'd paint southerners as racist since you love to group and falsely play the race. The sad thing is you don't see how hypocritical you are. Or don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That Big Government! Forced them poor oppressed white southerners to lynch black people.
The big government you love turned the other cheek and didn't do it's job because people like you don't hold them accountable. Big government made Jim Crow. How can you not know that? btw Almost 1/4 of lynching victims were white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Forced them to suppress minority votes, defend slavery and segregation with the same States Rights argument Rand Paul uses. What a horror Big Government is
Big government created Jim Crow. You're no different. You want to use force and coercion to get what you want. The rights of the individual don't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
For ya'lls sake I HOPE ya'll are just pulling my chain. Seriously- I was raised in the racist South, and never heard this argument. I was a Republican for years, and then a Libertarian, and never heard this one. So I can only conclude that this must've come from AM talk radio- and quite recently. If that's where it came from... then lord help us all if guys as intelligent as ya'll (and I DO mean that part) are so easily led.
The obamabots like you are ones who've been misled. Following horrific big government policies that fail all too often yet you keep going back to that same poisonous well.
The only conclusion one can draw from your post is, you're uninformed and falsely play the race card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm off to google this up. Good lord I hope ya'll just made this up on the spot and it didn't come from Talk Radio.
Your post doesn't make sense as usual. Gee go figure.
Made what up? You're the one to ask as far as making things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,418 posts, read 15,833,777 times
Reputation: 9903
The Big Gubmint that created Jim Crows, wasn't the feds, it was "state's rights" Big Gumbint. So yes, Big Gubmint did create Jim Crow but not what people traditionally think Big Gubmint is. The laws had to exist for Supreme Court cases to be heard. Remember, it wasn't until Democrats (not Dixiecrats) and Republicans signed the Civil Rights Act to make it so that they didn't just base it on a series of Supreme Court rulings. I'm not going to say Paul is for racism, what he is for is the ability for states to decide they are. This is what I call pocket veto racism because it is similar to a president allowing congress to pass bills without signing by congress meeting 10 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
26,827 posts, read 11,255,805 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Big Gubmint that created Jim Crows, wasn't the feds, it was "state's rights" Big Gumbint. So yes, Big Gubmint did create Jim Crow but not what people traditionally think Big Gubmint is.
As far as a Presidential election its about the Feds sure. But I disagree with the part about that people believe big government is about feds mainly. It's harder to overturn which makes it more powerful. Its about over reaching no matter where it is.
Which is what the CRA did when it went into the private sector. No matter how well intentioned it was. I'm sure those that supported Jim Crow thought that was well intentioned too. And that's the rub. Using force and coercion to get what you want. Not saying you're for that to get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The laws had to exist for Supreme Court cases to be heard. Remember, it wasn't until Democrats (not Dixiecrats) and Republicans signed the Civil Rights Act to make it so that they didn't just base it on a series of Supreme Court rulings. I'm not going to say Paul is for racism, what he is for is the ability for states to decide they are.
Not in this case because states cannot discriminate in the public sector. States don't have a right to do that whether you believe in states rights or not.
He's about the rights of the individual and the Constitution is the accurate statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is what I call pocket veto racism because it is similar to a president allowing congress to pass bills without signing by congress meeting 10 days.
I don't understand this part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top