Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM

542 posts, read 692,085 times

Advertisements

I think there is a subtle psychological factor with names, even if we're not aware of it. Here's one study that reports that "those with names that are easier to pronounce rise up the ranks of their companies more quickly." I remember doing research for a debate on the death penalty for school and I read that people with long, ethnic names tended to get longer sentences and had a higher chance of getting the death penalty compared to defendants who had easier names.

I think the more often a name is pronounced and used, people will get used to it, as is the case with Blagojevich and Schwarzenegger. I do remember that back when Barack Obama (another name that's become normalized through use) was campaigning, his opponents loved to say his name as, "and the other candidate, Barack HUSSEIN Obama, believes that ..." They really wanted to draw attention to the Hussein part of his name, probably in hopes of showing how "other" he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I think there is a subtle psychological factor with names, even if we're not aware of it. Here's one study that reports that "those with names that are easier to pronounce rise up the ranks of their companies more quickly." I remember doing research for a debate on the death penalty for school and I read that people with long, ethnic names tended to get longer sentences and had a higher chance of getting the death penalty compared to defendants who had easier names.

I think the more often a name is pronounced and used, people will get used to it, as is the case with Blagojevich and Schwarzenegger. I do remember that back when Barack Obama (another name that's become normalized through use) was campaigning, his opponents loved to say his name as, "and the other candidate, Barack HUSSEIN Obama, believes that ..." They really wanted to draw attention to the Hussein part of his name, probably in hopes of showing how "other" he was.
Agreed. I'm of Irish family and that's why many of us dumped the Gaelic spellings for the "English" spellings ince here in the US, less drama making it easier for us to fit in.

OTOH: in Mexico; a Mexican having a def English name IS probably worse off than using a Spanish 1.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
There have only been 43 people elected president so the sample is way too small to draw any conclusions.

Eisenhower was obviously not a short name and neither was Roosevelt.

George Deukmejian was Governor of California and would have been a good presidential candidate, but he was governor during the Reagan/Bush years and there wasn't much of an opportunity for him.

Arnold Schwarzenegger came a few years later.

I think the name has little to do with who gets elected and who doesn't.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
There have only been 43 people elected president so the sample is way too small to draw any conclusions.

Eisenhower was obviously not a short name and neither was Roosevelt.

George Deukmejian was Governor of California and would have been a good presidential candidate, but he was governor during the Reagan/Bush years and there wasn't much of an opportunity for him.

Arnold Schwarzenegger came a few years later.

I think the name has little to do with who gets elected and who doesn't.
Mr S was NOT a native born US citizen and his parents weren't either so he'd be out of the running off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections