Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, who have Cuban fathers each with a very simple short last name. The two candidates are Hispanic but their last names are very simple.

Would anyone with half a brain have any trouble with spelling or pronouncing any of the names of the possible 2016 presidential candidates? Even the ones who aren't WASPs have very simple last names.

Where are the Budzyński, Sciacchitano, Liljegren, Echevarria, Schwarzenegger, Bhattacharya, Matsush*ta, Kuznetsov, Abramczyk, Bronaugh, Quraishi, Aliaabaadi, Ngozichukwu, Billeaudeau presidential candidates?

This is America. We have a smorgasbord of ethnic backgrounds here. But...

Can every natural born citizen here really grow up to be president or does having a hard to pronounce longer last name make it impossible to be nominated or elected? Notice, I'm not opining that their ethnic background is a hindrance because if those names are short and easy to spell or pronounce, I don't think anyone would care.

What do you think? If you were the greatest thing (experience and positions) since sliced bread on the issues, plus are smart and attractive with a great personality, could you expect to be nominated for President if you had a long, hard to spell or pronounce, last name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm looking at Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, who have Cuban fathers each with a very simple short last name. The two candidates are Hispanic but their last names are very simple.

Would anyone with half a brain have any trouble with spelling or pronouncing any of the names of the possible 2016 presidential candidates? Even the ones who aren't WASPs have very simple last names.

Where are the Budzyński, Sciacchitano, Liljegren, Echevarria, Schwarzenegger, Bhattacharya, Matsush*ta, Kuznetsov, Abramczyk, Bronaugh, Quraishi, Aliaabaadi, Ngozichukwu, Billeaudeau presidential candidates?

This is America. We have a smorgasbord of ethnic backgrounds here. But...

Can every natural born citizen here really grow up to be president or does having a hard to pronounce longer last name make it impossible to be nominated or elected? Notice, I'm not opining that their ethnic background is a hindrance because if those names are short and easy to spell or pronounce, I don't think anyone would care.

What do you think? If you were the greatest thing (experience and positions) since sliced bread on the issues, plus are smart and attractive with a great personality, could you expect to be nominated for President if you had a long, hard to spell or pronounce, last name?
Here in Illinois we elected, and then reelected, Rod Blagojevich as governor. I remember when he first came on the scene all the local newscasters had a lot of trouble saying his name. Within a few weeks everyone could pronounce it and it never was an issue. Now granted, he was a lousy governor--even as a Democrat I will admit that--but your question only concerns names, and whether a politician could be elected with a very difficult one.

I think the answer is yes, if they like and/or connect with the candidate. Who would have thought that a mere seven years after 9/11, while we were still mired in a war in the Middle East, Americans would elect a man with the name of Barack Hussein Obama as president? Hussein sounds distinctly Muslim and Obama is eerily close to Osama, and yet, they did elect him, twice. I don't think the name matters as much as you seem to think.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Name or nickname must fit on a bumper sticker.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:14 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
The name doesn't matter nearly as much as the person. A first name or a nickname can be the easiest way for a candidate with a name that's difficult to pronounce can win for the person until folks become familiar with how to pronounce it.

Zbigniew Brzezinski served two Presidents in prominent positions, and we all became to know him and how to pronounce is Polish name easily enough once he became a public figure.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Here in Illinois we elected, and then reelected, Rod Blagojevich as governor. I remember when he first came on the scene all the local newscasters had a lot of trouble saying his name. Within a few weeks everyone could pronounce it and it never was an issue. Now granted, he was a lousy governor--even as a Democrat I will admit that--but your question only concerns names, and whether a politician could be elected with a very difficult one.

I think the answer is yes, if they like and/or connect with the candidate. Who would have thought that a mere seven years after 9/11, while we were still mired in a war in the Middle East, Americans would elect a man with the name of Barack Hussein Obama as president? Hussein sounds distinctly Muslim and Obama is eerily close to Osama, and yet, they did elect him, twice. I don't think the name matters as much as you seem to think.
Indeed. If Barack (foreign sounding, in an imprecise way) Hussein (sounds like - and is - a widely-recognized Arabic name, in large part due to a rather notorious dictator against whom we fought a pair of recent wars) Obama (rhymes with Osama) can be elected President twice, then I think that almost all names are surmountable.

Good example with Blagojevich. One need not be able to spell the name, after all - they appear on ballots and one just checks a box. Another example is Raul Castro - no, not the current President of Cuba but the former Governor of Arizona, who was elected in 1977 when the Cold War was ongoing and chilly and the Cuban Missile Crisis was a lot fresher in our collective memories (Castro just died last week, BTW).

I don't think names matter much at all.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The name doesn't matter nearly as much as the person. A first name or a nickname can be the easiest way for a candidate with a name that's difficult to pronounce can win for the person until folks become familiar with how to pronounce it.

Zbigniew Brzezinski served two Presidents in prominent positions, and we all became to know him and how to pronounce is Polish name easily enough once he became a public figure.
But he was appointed not elected.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 PM

Blago is a very good example but we're talking presidential nomination (Can you have a difficult ethnic sounding last name and still grow up to be President?) and as far as Barack Obama goes, his name is neither hard to pronounce or spell. Neither was McCain, Edwards, Gore, Nixon, Carter, Ford, Reagan, Mondale, Kerry, although Dukakis is leaning close.

Look at these names. You would think with so many possibilities there would be at least 25% with difficult long ethnic sounding names.

Clinton
Webb
O'Malley
Sanders
Cruz
Rubio
Christie
Bush
Paul
Perry
Jindal
Trump
Huckabee
Walker
Kasich
Graham

The hardest one may be Fiorina and I don't think she'll run.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Eisenhauer was def a long "ethnic" name. Too; many "ethnic" now "anglo" white people had their names changed to sound English or even Irish when they were coming through Ellis Island 100-150 years ago.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:21 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But he was appointed not elected.
As I mentioned, everyone got used to his name soon enough. Yes, he was appointed. His example only goes to show an unusual name isn't a very big hurdle to overcome.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
It's the IDEOLOGY of the candidate, not his/her name, that is the deciding factor.

I'd vote for a Democratic candidate with a long or ethnic name any day over a GOP Billy Bob, Jeb, Mitt, or Ada Mae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections