Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times

Advertisements

....while they should be stumping for "stability" in this country! If any one of 'em run off of a platform regarding "stability", it'll be a guaranteed shoe-in for the presidency.

I think it's ironic for 'em all to be stumping for change. Probably a moot point nowadays.

HEY STUPID POLITICIANS!!....STUMP FOR STABILITY!!

(what's your opinion on the matter??...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
They are stumping for change because nobody is happy with the way things are!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Stability WOULD be change!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM

80 posts, read 41,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
They are stumping for change because nobody is happy with the way things are!
Because we seem to be gullible and think they (except for Ron Paul) will actually change anything.

I am for Ron Paul. He is, in my opinion, the only honest candidate running for President. I don't know if you caught the Nightly News tonight, but it was all about "America For Sale". We have huge debts and 50% of it is owned by foreigners. They are using the dollars they bought from us to buy the United States. We have to get back to some level of sanity.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
To me, almost ALL the candidates (except Ron Paul) want to MAINTAIN the status quo (spend more, tax more)... What they want to "change" is to change YOUR opinion that there needs to be change, so they can go back and maintain the.... status quo...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
Because we seem to be gullible and think they (except for Ron Paul) will actually change anything.

I am for Ron Paul. He is, in my opinion, the only honest candidate running for President. I don't know if you caught the Nightly News tonight, but it was all about "America For Sale". We have huge debts and 50% of it is owned by foreigners. They are using the dollars they bought from us to buy the United States. We have to get back to some level of sanity.
"They" don't fool me a bit, which is why I will be voting for Ron Paul even if I have to write him in!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
....while they should be stumping for "stability" in this country! If any one of 'em run off of a platform regarding "stability", it'll be a guaranteed shoe-in for the presidency.

I think it's ironic for 'em all to be stumping for change. Probably a moot point nowadays.

HEY STUPID POLITICIANS!!....STUMP FOR STABILITY!!

(what's your opinion on the matter??...)
The use of the sound byte "change" is used in nearly every election cycle. The use of this word denotes that things are not good and need to be changed for the better. Ironic that nearly every election cycle that politicians promise change, suggesting that things are always bad in Washington.

However, as others have mentioned, change is not for politics it is for those who will elect them. The political establishment is basically a group of lawyers for the most part. Ever wonder why legal terminology is written in the manner it is? In part it is for clarity as semantics are essential in law, however the other side of that is that the legal profession perpetuates itself by establishing a vocabulary and methodology that necessitates the use of yet more lawyers to interpret this.

So in politics, the most important to the career of a politician is getting elected, the second most important thing is getting reelected. As everyone knows, in order to run a campaign today it takes vast sums of money, and the average Joe isn't usually where it comes from. Lobbyist and other business have an important stake and their money is well spent. The person they donate to may vote on a particular road bill or health care bill that would favor their interest. Nothing new here, this is how this game has been played for quite some time.

So we arrive at John Q Public, the people with the vote, the people that bear the burden of the decisions of the political body more than anyone. Fortunately for the political body, John Q is generally ignorant of issues either because he is too busy, or just doesn't give a damn because it is all so complicated. In any case, to get this persons vote you must appeal to his "hot button" issue, the one issue that really makes John Q want to pull the handle in your favor. Change is the vehicle to getting that handled pulled in your favor.

I often paraphrase Plato's notions on democracy as they are as apt today as they were in ancient Greece. In order for democracies to function, it requires an aware, reasonably educated and enlightened society of people who are politically and civilly active. As our representative Republic is a reflection of its base, so if the politicians suck, then either you have an ignorant or indifferent population. In the case of the former, change sounds good because the person knows things are not, in the case of the latter, they simply don't care.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Simple fact that by default you usually have about 50% of the population wanting the other party in office, its a safe bet! It adds up to nothing!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Thumbs up Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The use of the sound byte "change" is used in nearly every election cycle. The use of this word denotes that things are not good and need to be changed for the better. Ironic that nearly every election cycle that politicians promise change, suggesting that things are always bad in Washington.

However, as others have mentioned, change is not for politics it is for those who will elect them. The political establishment is basically a group of lawyers for the most part. Ever wonder why legal terminology is written in the manner it is? In part it is for clarity as semantics are essential in law, however the other side of that is that the legal profession perpetuates itself by establishing a vocabulary and methodology that necessitates the use of yet more lawyers to interpret this.

So in politics, the most important to the career of a politician is getting elected, the second most important thing is getting reelected. As everyone knows, in order to run a campaign today it takes vast sums of money, and the average Joe isn't usually where it comes from. Lobbyist and other business have an important stake and their money is well spent. The person they donate to may vote on a particular road bill or health care bill that would favor their interest. Nothing new here, this is how this game has been played for quite some time.

So we arrive at John Q Public, the people with the vote, the people that bear the burden of the decisions of the political body more than anyone. Fortunately for the political body, John Q is generally ignorant of issues either because he is too busy, or just doesn't give a damn because it is all so complicated. In any case, to get this persons vote you must appeal to his "hot button" issue, the one issue that really makes John Q want to pull the handle in your favor. Change is the vehicle to getting that handled pulled in your favor.

I often paraphrase Plato's notions on democracy as they are as apt today as they were in ancient Greece. In order for democracies to function, it requires an aware, reasonably educated and enlightened society of people who are politically and civilly active. As our representative Republic is a reflection of its base, so if the politicians suck, then either you have an ignorant or indifferent population. In the case of the former, change sounds good because the person knows things are not, in the case of the latter, they simply don't care.
....well put!

Boy, does it ever make John Q Public ever-so-hopeless to even give a damn!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Stability WOULD be change!
Hey, you beat me to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections