U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,672,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Tax cuts aren't expenditures, they don't have to be financed.
A tax cut is financed by making an equal cut into the budget. However besides the recent ground swell in fiscal conservatism, we haven't seen much of this. Clinton's surplus was an accounting trick that would get companies into trouble with the SEC and all the other Presidents (Bush Jr., Reagan, even JFK) didn't offset tax cuts with spending cuts. In otherwords, they drove up the deficit and put us into debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
One problem with the ACA is that it gives states that agree to expand medicaid a large financial advantage over more frugal jurisdictions. I think any fix will have to have the states that benefited from medicaid expansion funds fork over the difference in order to equalize the accounts for the past, before we can move to the future.
There's that but that will come into play not now but like three/four years from now when the federal funding ends. The saving grace though is those who make within the 101-133% of poverty hit an additional hardship this way.

The one I am actually thinking of is based on the individual state's individual Medicaid program. Arizona for instance is very think of the children while ****-off individuals who don't have kids and because they can't make enough to live alone, can't get on AHCCS due to household income and now have to get onto their own plans but without subsidies (as the national exchange may boot you back to AHCCS) if they are older than 26 but can't get full-time pay and benefits.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 AM

26,609 posts, read 11,139,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
For someone that claims others are falsely testifying you sure do a lot of it yourself. I see you have nothing else honest to add, Noted.
Yet you have no proof or you would have posted it. Just as you did in this post and the last one, falsely testifying.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 PM

752 posts, read 447,147 times
Quote:
"Tax cuts aren't expenditures, they don't have to be financed."
Which is exactly why a lot of us know the feigned concern over the deficit is sanctimonious BS and your party will explode it at the earliest available opportunity. Which is why we aren't voting for the Republican candidate and in all likelihood he/she will again fall short.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM

26,609 posts, read 11,139,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Which is exactly why a lot of us know the feigned concern over the deficit is sanctimonious BS and your party will explode it at the earliest available opportunity. Which is why we aren't voting for the Republican candidate and in all likelihood he/she will again fall short.
Agree for the most part. Look to the candidate who says, "You want to do "X"? How are we going to pay for it?"
So far that's been Rand Paul.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 PM

752 posts, read 447,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"Agree for the most part. Look to the candidate who says, "You want to do "X"? How are we going to pay for it?"
Yeah, I don't get how anyone can purport to be fiscally responsible and think that we can just slash revenue with abandon. No, first you need to propose specific, proportional spending cuts, and then you need to sell them to the public/Congress. No spending cuts = no tax cuts.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agree for the most part. Look to the candidate who says, "You want to do "X"? How are we going to pay for it?"
So far that's been Rand Paul.
Yes but he has gotten more hawkish and liberal with foreign aide. Now I am complaining about the fact that he flip flopped on those that wanted him for a more libertarian and less war state us. What I am is that the lack of cuts in the military need to be offset somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Yeah, I don't get how anyone can purport to be fiscally responsible and think that we can just slash revenue with abandon. No, first you need to propose specific, proportional spending cuts, and then you need to sell them to the public/Congress. No spending cuts = no tax cuts.
Unless you are trying to pull a Bane and commit economic terrorism like in The Dark Knight Rises, you can't cut spending with reckless abandon. You cut government workers, private business aren't going to hire them just because they were fired from the government because we closed departments.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM

546 posts, read 323,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Unless you are trying to pull a Bane and commit economic terrorism like in The Dark Knight Rises, you can't cut spending with reckless abandon. You cut government workers, private business aren't going to hire them just because they were fired from the government because we closed departments.
If the government job was providing a valuable service, the skills of the government worker could be used to aid private enterprise in replacing the services discontinued by government. If there is no use for those skills, then maybe it was just a waste of taxpayer money to fund their employment.

If the Department of Education shut down tomorrow, there might still be a demand for the research and curriculum development etc they provide. If there is, then local school districts might hire the former employees to consult. If not, maybe the department isn't providing as much value as the government spends on it.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,461,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Individual Republicans are talking about that, its just getting quieted out through all of the noise because there are so many potential candidates at the moment.

I'll get more focused as the campaigns progress and people drop out, its the process every single election.
Yeah, that's like my answer. The candidates and the non-candidates are whipping on Clinton as their sounding post. The goal to decide which approach the conservatives are going to take. This is going to go on for a while. Once done, Clinton will have a wealth of material to attack. Her responses will elicit reaction from the public, Indies included. Those responses will help determine the course of the party. If you have something to offer now - and for a while - is your opportunity to be heard.

If in the end you decide (you being equal to those Independents that will be the deciders) to vote for Clinton then you do so understanding that her ascendency to office will be the death knell to the country we celebrated in the 'miracle on ice', the LA olympics, man walking on the moon, fireworks on the 4th... those thing for which we cheered as a single nation.

Clinton is not going to restore anything, not even the 'W' keys caps on White House typewriters. Well, she might restore the train running through the Lincoln Bedroom for cash.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,461,947 times
Clarity in the Obama Era (How Reasonable People Let It Happen) | The Current-Anchor
Quote:
One silver lining of living during the Obama Era is that we get to witness something that many of us found inexplicable when we learned about it in school: How a civilized country can be brought to the heel of ideologues and thugs. Itís always seemed a bizarre mystery why a large majority of reasonable people would let things that are so patently wrong, so clearly corrosive of everything we value, go onÖ and expand.
This just landed on my desktop. I think it applies to the phenomena we're witnessing in politics today. Or that is, from my view point, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or