Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
So you'd rather have a national depression than a bank bailout?
I was told when I said the proper venue for GM was a bankruptcy court not a bail out that it would cause a huge ripple effect and put all sorts of people out of work.

In the end GM had to go though bankruptcy and none of that happened.

Stop with the bogus scare tactics. We would be in a better place today if we would have skipped the bail outs. It might have initially hurt but the disease would have been treated as opposed to the symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Good God, the whining is hurting my ears (eh...my eyes). Obama was qualified, and beat all comers, even the Clinton Machine. And over the last 6 years, he has shown he is far more intelligent, eloquent, and mature than nearly all his adversaries and rivals. So, get over the @#%#@%#% self-pity already.

You lost. Man up.

I am one of those guys, who is "somewhat conservative." The rub is, I am not stupid, so I don't buy the GOP bs. and perpetual clown car candidacies. You want to win, put up someone "somewhat conservative" like John Huntsman. Put up a clown like Ted Cruz, and you will lose again. In today's political climate, a somewhat conservative person has no choice but to vote Democrat.
This! So much this! Hunstmen would have crushed Obama, Obama wasn't elected because of his skin color, thats so much nonsense. He was elected because he was the better choice.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was told when I said the proper venue for GM was a bankruptcy court not a bail out that it would cause a huge ripple effect and put all sorts of people out of work.

In the end GM had to go though bankruptcy and none of that happened.
Yes, but they stayed in business, didn't they? They kept paying wages to their employees, and buying stuff from their suppliers.

Quote:
Stop with the bogus scare tactics. We would be in a better place today if we would have skipped the bail outs. It might have initially hurt but the disease would have been treated as opposed to the symptoms.
I was actually referring to the banks, where a large failure or two could have triggered bank runs and a financial crisis like 1929, but please explain how we would have been a better place today if a million people (at least) had lost their jobs, and GM's suppliers had gone out of business as well?

Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This! So much this! Hunstmen would have crushed Obama, Obama wasn't elected because of his skin color, thats so much nonsense. He was elected because he was the better choice.

Interesting, and you know, I did not think of that. Given the economy and some frustration with Obama, I think you might be right. Huntsman might have won. And given the ambivalence over Hillary Clinton, I bet he could win in 2016. I wonder why he has not announced.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:29 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting, and you know, I did not think of that. Given the economy and some frustration with Obama, I think you might be right. Huntsman might have won. And given the ambivalence over Hillary Clinton, I bet he could win in 2016. I wonder why he has not announced.
Because he doesn't have a chance of winning the GOP primary. The Repubs have put themselves in a position where nobody who takes any sane positions at all has a chance of getting the nomination. Huntsman is in favor of immigration reform and the DREAM act, thus, he was toast.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yes, but they stayed in business, didn't they? They kept paying wages to their employees, and buying stuff from their suppliers.
Meaningless. Going through bankruptcy doesn't mean you go out of business.

Quote:
I was actually referring to the banks, where a large failure or two could have triggered bank runs and a financial crisis like 1929, but please explain how we would have been a better place today if a million people (at least) had lost their jobs, and GM's suppliers had gone out of business as well?
No it couldn't. Bank deposits are largely guaranteed today unlike 1929. If a bank fails you still get your money.

As for your last question, it just goes to prove my point.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I read an article that talked about this.
Said Bernie knows he doesn't have a chance but he will hold Hillary to the fire during debates with pointed questions on what her plans are (which she will not say publicly if you haven't noticed).

If anything Bernie will give Hillary a run for the money.

And I like his slogan..plain and simple..."Bernie for President".

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read an article that talked about this.
Said Bernie knows he doesn't have a chance but he will hold Hillary to the fire during debates with pointed questions on what her plans are (which she will not say publicly if you haven't noticed).

If anything Bernie will give Hillary a run for the money.

And I like his slogan..plain and simple..."Bernie for President".
In all honesty...I think he will crush her in the debates. And I think he has a chance. He's going to bring up inequalit, and talk about it in public.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I think that Dems are so disenchanted with Hillary that Sanders has a pretty solid shot at the nomination (or at least a better shot than some are giving him). At the very least, he'll be a welcome presence on the debate trail

Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
That's delusional. Huntsman would've lost worse than Romney did. Not only was it just not a good year for the GOP to take back the White House from an incumbent, but Huntsman would've have fared better among moderates than Romney did. More importantly, his nomination would've seriously seen a significant portion of the conservative base stay home. With Huntsman as the nominee, Obama would've won North Carolina and a few other states in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections