Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 PM

33,862 posts, read 16,906,563 times

Advertisements

Latinos in the 2012 Election: Virginia | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

Latinos in the 2012 Election: Florida | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/10/0...-pennsylvania/

All are swing states, though Va is trending bluer every cycle with NOVA continuing to grow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,967,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
If you are competing with illegal immigrants for jobs, you have made some seriously bad life choices. If an American citizen born with all the privileges and access to free public education that it comes with is whining about the difficulty of finding work as a day laborer, crop picker, dishwasher or lawn mower it is hard to feel bad for them. If an immigrant from a third world country with no education can steal your job, that is your fault.
Isn't this an uppity and elitist attitude. I guess American workers should be punished because they jobs they can get aren't good enough for you. I didn't realize that construction was only for bums. Not to mention most of the Americans who are now in competition with illegals for jobs would have a generation ago had blue collar jobs in an assembly plant or manufacturing; however, due to "free" trade agreements 90% of those jobs are now done by third worlders on the other side of the planet. Blue collar work has been ravaged in this country by people who support your ideas. Good job on destroying the middle class.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
There are a few problems with "comprehensive immigration reform." First of all, what is it? And, do we need it? Many people say yes we need it, but I say no. How can we ENFORCE comprehensive immigration reform if we can't enforce simple border security and other issues related to illegal immigration. So, I say NO to new laws!!!

Another obvious problem is that we have millions of illegals here already, which is what J. Bush is saying. If we can't (or won't) deport them, then we have a stalemate. I haven't heard anyone really give a good solution... although I like Romney's idea of "self-deportation". It is the best option, but it isn't politically correct. Bush is saying the more politically correct thing. If we would enforce border security, drug dealing, and illegal employment then that would be progress.

If you remember, GW Bush also wanted comprehensive immigration reform.
Yes he did and it had 40 billion for border enforcement, e-verify and we've been fighting the drug war for 55 years. Right wing republicans killed it.

"Self Deportation" is code for "do absolutely nothing and keep it a political wedge issue." These people have been here for years and decades. They have American citizen children in High school. Do you really think there is any possibility they will self deport?

But this thread is not about dredging up the whole illegal immigration issue. That has an entire forum devoted to it.
This thread is about Jeb bush poking a finger in the eyes of all the right wing conservative politicians and media outlets concerning a national issue of burning import to republicans for the 2016 election. He did it early, he was very thorough and he stated his position very clear. The fact that he did it in Spanish left no doubt.
So far...... from his political opponents and the conservative media, there have been nothing but crickets.
That's very telling.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,700,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That stalemate benefits President Clinton, as this status quo equals,

11 mill staying here, working, most paying NO taxes

and

a 2016 Wedge issue which will repeat the 73-27% trip to the woodshed Latino citizens sent Mittens on.

When he was self-deported from POTUS contention.
so, you are defending Bush? I'd like to because he did a great job in Florida. I just think that granting amnesty to 11 million people will not stop the flow of future illegals. I would actually be fine with amnesty for those here IF...IF we would crack down on illegals crossing the border and committing other crimes. And... we need to get tough on crime anyway. Look at baltimore.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 PM

Blue collar jobs were lost for 2 distinct reasons:

(1) Low skilled menial stuff (Toys and such) were off-shored, as they should have been, to the lowest cost producer.

(2) Most of the other losses were via automation.

Both reduced cost, and raised the competitiveness of remaining employers, which adds to job security.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,700,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes he did and it had 40 billion for border enforcement, e-verify and we've been fighting the drug war for 55 years. Right wing republicans killed it.

"Self Deportation" is code for "do absolutely nothing and keep it a political wedge issue." These people have been here for years and decades. They have American citizen children in High school. Do you really think there is any possibility they will self deport?

But this thread is not about dredging up the whole illegal immigration issue. That has an entire forum devoted to it.
This thread is about Jeb bush poking a finger in the eyes of all the right wing conservative politicians and media outlets concerning a national issue of burning import to republicans for the 2016 election. He did it early, he was very thorough and he stated his position very clear. The fact that he did it in Spanish left no doubt.
So far...... from his political opponents and the conservative media, there have been nothing but crickets.
That's very telling.
I can see where you're coming from. I disagree with you in part, but you make good points. If I drive 60 mph in a 45 mph then i deserve a speeding ticket. If I don't get a ticket then I will continue to drive 60mph or more down that road until I am stopped by cops. I certainly don't deserve to get a photo ticket mailed to me 4 years later with fines and late fees.

But... if I see cops on that road stopping other speeders then I know that they mean business. Continued police presence/enforcement will be a deterrent to any future speeding (i.e. illegal border crossing)

Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,230,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

All are swing states, though Va is trending bluer every cycle with NOVA continuing to grow!

Hispanics are 4% of the electorate in the Commonwealth of Virginia (according to your link).

I'd venture to guess that the number of conservatives in Virginia is a lot larger than that.

Even if the Republicans were to win 100% of the hispanic vote by nominating Mr. Bush or other amnesty advocate, I can't see how they can gain votes by the move in that state.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Worst still Mitts "self deportation" comment was pandering to the GOP base, sneering at them knowing they would fall for the red meat he was tossing their way, w/o any intent of course on actually implementing it.

That base needs to stop acting emotional, and start asking detailed "How" questions every single time red meat is thrown their way. I watch both parties debates, and the 2008 battle b/w Clinton and Obama featured far more questions getting into the weeds (the Hows) of what they expressed interest in doing. At one time, pre TP, the GOP had similarly impressive debates. That needs to return. I couldn't care less if a nominee kneels weekly, or how he reacts to gay friends. I want a CEO type, so I want to hear his/her strategy for implementing their biggest ideas. Nuts and bolts, as much detail as time permits.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I can see where you're coming from. I disagree with you in part, but you make good points. If I drive 60 mph in a 45 mph then i deserve a speeding ticket. If I don't get a ticket then I will continue to drive 60mph or more down that road until I am stopped by cops. I certainly don't deserve to get a photo ticket mailed to me 4 years later with fines and late fees.

But... if I see cops on that road stopping other speeders then I know that they mean business. Continued police presence/enforcement will be a deterrent to any future speeding (i.e. illegal border crossing)
As far as secure borders are concerned, I agree with you 100%.
Comprehensive immigration reform cannot be another Reagan Amnesty Scenario, where they gave the benefits but never provided funds to enhance future border security. I'm totally on board with secure borders and controlled entry into the country. Especially with the times changing as they have. But lets just clear up the problem that has been festering for over 30 years and come to final solution for those who are here already.
That is what J. Bush is proposing and he's hinging his political future on that position. That's a big move so early in the game.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 PM

It's a brilliant bold move by Jeb recognizing he/she who differentiates to the non-partisans first is the sole man with a shot at POTUS. He isn't playing to simply be the nominee. He realizes America is many steps to the left of GOP primary voters.

This is analigious to Bill Clinton's brilliant Sister Souljah move. Like Bush, he wasn't playing to just be the nominee of his party. His Sister Souljah speech was several steps right of where his base was!

The rest of the GOP pack, so far, has been gutless, unwilling to say anything the base might not adore. That's a recipe to get thrashed at election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections