Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,619,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It's a brilliant bold move by Jeb recognizing he/she who differentiates to the non-partisans first is the sole man with a shot at POTUS. He isn't playing to simply be the nominee. He realizes America is many steps to the left of GOP primary voters.

This is analigious to Bill Clinton's brilliant Sister Souljah move. Like Bush, he wasn't playing to just be the nominee of his party. His Sister Souljah speech was several steps right of where his base was!

The rest of the GOP pack, so far, has been gutless, unwilling to say anything the base might not adore. That's a recipe to get thrashed at election time.
Agree. Brilliant move on his and his team's part. The republican primaries will be so much more interesting because of it. It is the one move, by a responsible republican, that could actually pull their irons out of the fire. The rest of the field are just pandering to their ever shrinking base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 PM

33,808 posts, read 16,816,293 times
As a fan of UConn's women basketball, Jeb's move sounds like something out of Geno Auriemma's playbook. The 10 time national champs NEVER cut the nets for reaching the Final 4, only for winning titles.

I want a GOP nominee who barely reflects on winning the nomination. November, 2016 needs to be on their mind every second during the primary. Stop high-fiving over reaching the Final 2! Winning the nomination was NOT an accomplishment, unless you did so positioned months before for the overall voting population of November '16. Not June '15.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,391,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Tea Party clowns still don't get it ... the demographics have changed, these people are not going go away ... and we can't deport 20 million people (IMO the number is much higher than decades old 12 million figure - they were throwing that number around back in 2005 and it was already outdated then). These people have natural born US citizen kids who eventually turn 18 and can vote ... do you really think that they will vote for us if we tell them we want to deport half their family? We have to change, we have to accept the changing demographics. We will never see another GOP president unless we win at least 40% of the Hispanic vote - and that is the absolute minimum, we would likely need 45-50% for a real chance.

Jeb Bush is not only our best chance at beating Hillary, he's our ONLY chance. If he does not win GOP the nomination we have a 100% chance of President Hillary Rodham Clinton come January 2017, with Bush we can cut that down to 50/50 ... a fighting chance.

You make it so they cannot get a job.... PERIOD and you will not have to spend a dime to deport anyone. The tourists will leave all on their own.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 AM

33,808 posts, read 16,816,293 times
WIHS2006 is spot on. The GOP needs to stop denying facts.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,214,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

That base needs to stop acting emotional, and start asking detailed "How" questions every single time red meat is thrown their way. I watch both parties debates, and the 2008 battle b/w Clinton and Obama featured far more questions getting into the weeds (the Hows) of what they expressed interest in doing. At one time, pre TP, the GOP had similarly impressive debates. That needs to return. I couldn't care less if a nominee kneels weekly, or how he reacts to gay friends. I want a CEO type, so I want to hear his/her strategy for implementing their biggest ideas. Nuts and bolts, as much detail as time permits.

The "base" are just the voters, they react to the candidate's speeches, blaming them for "acting emotional" when that is offered doesn't make sense.

Emotional appeals helped President Obama and other candidates in the past, platitudes like "change" and "hope" were used to great effect.

Why can't the same tactic be used by Mr. Bush- or whomever else the Republican convention decides to nominate?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 AM

62,583 posts, read 28,768,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You make it so they cannot get a job.... PERIOD and you will not have to spend a dime to deport anyone. The tourists will leave all on their own.
Exactly! Why would they remain if they have no means to support themselves? Removing the job, benefits and birthright citizenship magnets and many if not most would leave on their own. There aren't enough employers that would take the chance of hiring them with e-verify in place with still fines for non-compliance. What I don't get is why do these people think their personal families should be above our laws? If I had a relative who was breaking the law I would expect them to face justice not rewards for their law breaking. Such arrogance and selfishness to think otherwise. Not only that but their family member has probably taken a job from one of their fellow citizens. Why don't they care about that?

I have found that these same people don't even need to have a relative here illegally to defend illegal aliens because of ethnic ties and yet we should amnesty more of this mindset? How do people justify this in their minds? What kinds of Americans are these?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 AM

186 posts, read 157,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Lefties around here are an absolute joke.
Only the best and wisest post I've seen this morning, I completely agree Ed! What I wouldn't give for a democRAT free country........ahhhh, so fun to dream!!!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 AM

16,755 posts, read 8,136,612 times
Mr Bush has a large albatross around his neck. His policies are those of his brother. The current GOP wishes to end SS and Medicare. They are all jumping in line to destroy it. More tax cuts for the 1%, here in NC the tax cut turned into a tax increase for the majority of the state, and has created a larger revenue shortage.

GOP = Fiscal Conservative not in my lifetime

Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM

62,583 posts, read 28,768,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Mr Bush has a large albatross around his neck. His policies are those of his brother. The current GOP wishes to end SS and Medicare. They are all jumping in line to destroy it. More tax cuts for the 1%, here in NC the tax cut turned into a tax increase for the majority of the state, and has created a larger revenue shortage.

GOP = Fiscal Conservative not in my lifetime
Nice spin there. The GOP isn't seeking to end those programs per se just to replace them with something that will remain more solvent. I hate the dishonesty of the left.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Jeb will be the Republican nominee. And Hillary will win the general election in an electoral landslide.
i believe this is simply your opinion and not necessarily fact, unless you have a crystal ball. And if you have one that is fact, wow you should be rich.... Liking someone or not is one thing, facing up to what may not happen is quite another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections