Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
No you are wrong once again. Romney like all the candidates have many lobbyists in the campaigns, as advisors or other, but usually not running them.
This was reported on the three major news networks. Now, please re-read this.

Faith honey, I am never wrong.

Romney's obvious intent is trying to portray himself now as Mr. Independent, not sullied by the corrupting inlfuence of the evil lobbyists and their special interests. We do not need someone who continously looks for opportunities to link closer to lobbyists, he proclaims boldly.

Which is a bunch of Malarkey. He is up to his ears in lobbyists.

Republican Mitt Romney said Thursday he could govern in the country's best interest because "I don't have lobbyists running my campaign," although Washington insiders are on his senior staff and registered lobbyists are top advisers.

One of them, Ron Kaufman, chairman of Washington-based Dutko Worldwide, regularly sits across the aisle from Romney on his campaign plane, participates in debate strategy sessions and just last week accompanied Romney to a lunch in Myrtle Beach with Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.

Another adviser, former Rep. Vin Weber, R-Minn., is chairman of Romney's policy committee. He also is chief executive officer of Clark & Weinstock, and his corporate biography says he "provides strategic advice to institutions with matters before the legislative and executive branches of the federal government."

A third adviser, former Sen. Jim Talent of Missouri, who was at Romney's victory party in Michigan on Tuesday, is co-chairman of Fleishman-Hillard Government Relations and also is a registered lobbyist, according to federal records compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

Romney criticizes rivals' lobbyists - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/01/17/romney_criticizes_campaign_lobbyists_despite_havin g_some_as_senior_staff_and_top_advisers/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Massachusetts+news - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
What is it that none of you like about Romney? Because up until now the only real legitimate complaints I've heard anyone offer about Romney is that 1. He is Mormon, and 2. He is rich. As for 1, why does everyone care so much? If we're going to attack a candidate because of his religion, lets be fair and dig up all of the candidates beliefs and religious preference. I at least find it refreshing that Romney doesn't parade his religion around like Huckabee, trying to win the votes of the Christians through his preaching rather than his government policy. Have any of you even read the New York Times, or the Los Angeles Times and heard them compare the Republican candidates on a real topic like the economic state of America and the recession? None of the Candidates, besides Romney, know anything about the economy or monetary and fiscal policy. Their solutions range from McCain's "The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should" to Giuliani's huge permanent tax cut (yeah right). The fact is, Romney is the only one with any real experience in this area, and the only one with the vision to bring us out of the economic slump we are currently experiencing.

Oh, and on 2, giving a candidate a bad rap because he's rich is the poorest argument I think I've ever heard.
This post deserves a careful read and it is the truth. After much study on Romney's history I now see clearly that he is the best candidate by far. If we don't have some dramatic changes and reversals this country will fall. One good site of many is NumbersUSA I would hate the rest of the country to go third world as is much of CA, and it's quite scary here with all the violence. Yet Congress has just stripped away half the border fence and made it single layer. I'm sick of watching men climb the little fence we do have with all the rungs for their feet. The dems and a few Repubs do NOT want a fence, they want continued illegal crossings because of their goals in spite of fact that this will continue to hurt citizens. McCain is one of these who I heard say "We are not going to have any fence or any walls". He is co-author of last failed amnesty bill, and his heart has not changed. Do not believe the candidates lies...neither Obama, Clinton, Mc Caine or Guiliani 'really' want to secure our borders...just like Bush.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Quote:
Just the opposite, because Romney's business econmic expertise is exactly what can and will save our country. It's either a Washington insider who knows little about how to really put economics to work for the PEOPLE, or an outsider who does know. Perot would have changed our country so drastically for the better with his economic business expertise, but Americans were too ignorant to vote him in, the smart ones had to write his name on ballot...and this got him 20% of vote.
The guy inherited all of his money and made nothing on his own. Perot might could have been an economic genious for us sure. But Romney isn't in his league. Trying to compare him to Perot and the great sucking sound (he was sure as heck right!) is like trying to compare Bush to Eisenhower!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, you wrote in Perot, no? First rule in sniffing out BS, those who refer to themselves as wise, rarely are.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
So you don't like the way he looks?
Got nothing to do with how he looks. Just how he'll raise the "fees" we pay that will pay off his pet corporations. Remember, he never raised taxes in Mass. Just fees. Good God...I'm starting to sound like a democrat. I need a bar of soap to wash my mouth out!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
What is it that none of you like about Romney?
His utter lack of core values. Looking at his resume, his views have been all over the place. His for one thing then against. Then he's for it again. Then he's against it.

The guy seems to have no scruples. He will say and do whatever it takes to get elected.

Personally, I don't care which church he goes to or how much money he has in the bank.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Faith honey, I am never wrong.

Romney's obvious intent is trying to portray himself now as Mr. Independent, not sullied by the corrupting inlfuence of the evil lobbyists and their special interests. We do not need someone who continously looks for opportunities to link closer to lobbyists, he proclaims boldly.

Which is a bunch of Malarkey. He is up to his ears in lobbyists.

Republican Mitt Romney said Thursday he could govern in the country's best interest because "I don't have lobbyists running my campaign," although Washington insiders are on his senior staff and registered lobbyists are top advisers.

One of them, Ron Kaufman, chairman of Washington-based Dutko Worldwide, regularly sits across the aisle from Romney on his campaign plane, participates in debate strategy sessions and just last week accompanied Romney to a lunch in Myrtle Beach with Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.

Another adviser, former Rep. Vin Weber, R-Minn., is chairman of Romney's policy committee. He also is chief executive officer of Clark & Weinstock, and his corporate biography says he "provides strategic advice to institutions with matters before the legislative and executive branches of the federal government."

A third adviser, former Sen. Jim Talent of Missouri, who was at Romney's victory party in Michigan on Tuesday, is co-chairman of Fleishman-Hillard Government Relations and also is a registered lobbyist, according to federal records compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

Romney criticizes rivals' lobbyists - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/01/17/romney_criticizes_campaign_lobbyists_despite_havin g_some_as_senior_staff_and_top_advisers/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Massachusetts+news - broken link)
Romney is not for special interests of lobbyists. Lobbyists join campaigns and are advisors as they have expertise as senators, etc. BOTH OBAMA AND CLINTON CAMPAIGNS HAVE MANY LOBBYISTS IN THEM, THOUGH NOT PERHAPS RUNNING THEIR CAMPAIGNS? EDWARDS WHO IS BIG AGAINST LOBBYISTS ALSO HAS THEM IN HIS CAMPAIGN! LOBBYISTS ARE IN DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS IN BUSINESS AND GOVERNMENT. THAT IS HOW IT IS.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
The guy inherited all of his money and made nothing on his own. Perot might could have been an economic genious for us sure. But Romney isn't in his league. Trying to compare him to Perot and the great sucking sound (he was sure as heck right!) is like trying to compare Bush to Eisenhower!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, you wrote in Perot, no? First rule in sniffing out BS, those who refer to themselves as wise, rarely are.
Are you refferring to me as not wise? What's wrong with writing in Perot? Romney has made his own money in business for many years, every business he made or helped was successful. He is brilliant in economics say the experts. Where did you hear he made nothing on his own? Not true.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Who is referring to themselves as wise? Romney has made his own money in business for many years, every business he made or helped was successful. He is brilliant in economics say the experts. Where did you hear he made nothing on his own? Not true.
I never claimed to be smart nor wise via the virtues of my voting record nor by my opinions. Only that I have my opinions based upon what I've seen and read.

I will recant the precise wording "he inherited everything he has and he made nothing on his own." However, he certainly had a lot of help in getting him where is today:
George W. Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Romney should have learned something from this incident. But I'm not so sure he did. It's better to just admit the truth up front, and clarify any distortions. Claiming loudly that you don't have any lobbyists working in high-level positions in your campaign when you clearly do won't win many supporters.

The guy just isn't presidential material. And not just because of this incident. He's all over the map on his positions, and he panders shamelessly to whatever audience he addresses.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
We believe very little of what YOU have to say.
Okay....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections