Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,211,244 times

Advertisements

This election cycle is shaping up, in some ways, like the 1968 race.

Rioting is big news again, as it was back in the late 60's. People in 1968 had the confidence in Nixon or Wallace to squelch the violence in those years, that they didn't have with Vice President Humphrey, and that really helped bring Nixon achieve victory that year just 4 years after the Johnson landslide.

Of course, America is a lot different now than it was back in 1968- and the cities which are burning shape up differently demographically than they did back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,862,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Rioting is big news again, as it was back in the late 60's. People in 1968 had the confidence in Nixon or Wallace to squelch the violence in those years, that they didn't have with Vice President Humphrey, and that really helped bring Nixon achieve victory that year just 4 years after the Johnson landslide.

Of course, America is a lot different now than it was back in 1968- and the cities which are burning shape up differently demographically than they did back then.
Hmmm, actually the few riots that have taken place are Not Big News, at least they are not here in Texas, most people do not know anything or much about them. I seriously doubt it will be much of an issue a Year and a Half from now.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,388 times
It's a different world now than 1968. I think may be an issue- but momentum is definitely AGAINST the 'law and order' crowd at the moment.

Fact is that here in the "Land of the Free", we imprison more people both per capita AND in sheer numbers than any nation on earth. We've made a mockery of "land of the free". Everything under the sun is illegal, often in multiple says. We're ALL unindicted felons in one manner or another- you literally can't get through a day without breaking multiple laws.

So frankly I'm a bit heartened to see this recent awareness of just how thuggish our police have become. It's pretty racially focused- and understandably so- but I think the racial focus misses the point. Fact is that these days, police are pretty well above the law. Sure, racism is a big problem... but the fact that police CAN assault, harass, intimidate, and even murder without consequences- that's the ROOT of the problem.

So yeah, this could be an issue. But not in a way that'll help Nixon's party!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM

752 posts, read 563,302 times
Quote:
"Of course, America is a lot different now than it was back in 1968- and the cities which are burning shape up differently demographically than they did back then."
The cities that have recently experienced riots are not in swing-states (MO is increasingly Republican), and crime is otherwise in decline, so I don't see law and order being a central issue. But it does point to something often overlooked: the resurgence of central cities and the political fortunes of the Democratic Party are intimately connected to the plunge in violent crime from the early 1990's to the present.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:41 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,817,184 times
Quote:

I think it's all about the TV images. If people keep seeing Democrats running wild in the city streets, destroying and maiming, and they are afraid for their property, their lives, their children's lives or their livelihood, they will vote for the law and order Republican candidate. Right now, I don't know who that is but I'm pretty sure it's not some Senator.

All the candidate has to do is show an example that they 1) have experience with keeping and restoring order and 2) they have actually enforced laws already on the books. And, if they are smart, they can tag it on to broader border enforcement talk. But, the candidate has to be able to talk about it as a person who has done it to be credible. Like I said, that leaves out all of the no-experience running anything/handling a crisis Senators.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,749,907 times
It may if it sustains. The reason why 1968 went to Nixon was RFK died and continual violence and drug use. I don't think there is enough crime to run a Nixonian campaign for law & order.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM

260 posts, read 216,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It's a different world now than 1968. I think may be an issue- but momentum is definitely AGAINST the 'law and order' crowd at the moment.

Fact is that here in the "Land of the Free", we imprison more people both per capita AND in sheer numbers than any nation on earth. We've made a mockery of "land of the free". Everything under the sun is illegal, often in multiple says. We're ALL unindicted felons in one manner or another- you literally can't get through a day without breaking multiple laws.

So frankly I'm a bit heartened to see this recent awareness of just how thuggish our police have become. It's pretty racially focused- and understandably so- but I think the racial focus misses the point. Fact is that these days, police are pretty well above the law. Sure, racism is a big problem... but the fact that police CAN assault, harass, intimidate, and even murder without consequences- that's the ROOT of the problem.

Ok. You think this type of a race riot,had it occurred in say,Cleveland,in 2012 would have helped Obama?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,957,426 times
Quote:

"The cops are mean! Lets burn down businesses, destroy property, assault white people, loot, and riot!" I agree that we have too many laws in this country but I don't think that excuses rioting, looting, and physically assaulting innocent people, especially when those people were targeted due to their race. Isn't that a "hate crime?" Or does that only work one way in this country?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
"The cops are mean! Lets burn down businesses, destroy property, assault white people, loot, and riot!" I agree that we have too many laws in this country but I don't think that excuses rioting, looting, and physically assaulting innocent people, especially when those people were targeted due to their race. Isn't that a "hate crime?" Or does that only work one way in this country?
Anything else you'd like to falsely attribute to me?

Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM

29,177 posts, read 22,181,469 times
Quote:

Yup. The militarization of our police departments has created a mentality in too many departments where our cops no longer see themselves as peace keepers as much as combat troops.

For sure, that attitude is not everywhere in all corners of the nation yet, or is equally strong in the cities that the attitude is prevalent.

But Ferguson displayed how bad it can get when cops quit thinking of themselves as cops. And all the recent events, often resulting in the death or injury of those who broke no laws, has only made ever other incident the worse.
It was only a matter of time before a big city blew up, and Baltimore still isn't the end. Rioting can happen almost anywhere this summer as the temps go high and the heat makes tempers flare. Only New York has taken active steps in training and re-training their police to seek the more peaceful route of law enforcement rather that going immediately to the most violent response first.

This is as serious a problem as the violence of our failed drug wars ever was, and its going to be just as hard to correct. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it took to stand down from the drug war. it will take time, a very serious commitment by all our cities and states and the feds, and it will require sending a lot of cops to prison for their criminality.

Just like the time it took to purge the Catholic church of its pedophile priests. It ain't gonna happen in a decade, that's for sure, and even if it gets better, it won't stop until everyone steps away from the gun as the first choice to solve disputes large and small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections