Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times

Advertisements

probably should recruit a black gay muslim woman for potus

that will cover all the bases

noone is interested in seeing bushs, clintons, or obamas in the whitehouse again

i'm sure their is probably one of these people currently in the whitehouse staff pushing pencils

time for a promotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Why not? He did pretty well in Florida. Florida starts to gain population consistently and is the most prosperous state in souteast. I still remember when I was in Tallahassee in 1998 Florida was just another state south of Georgia. Now Florida is much better than Georgia.

And he can stop Clinton, if you don't mind.
I have several things that make me now want him to get the knod: 1: his name, it should not make a difference, but it will. 2-I am not sure he really wants it that badly and you have to really have the fire in your belly to be a serious candidate: 3-I want new blood, not only is he not new, he has been out of the political scene for 8 years or more. 4-I am not too sure he could beat Hillary. We need someone that can excite the base and the indepentents. I do not think Bush can do it.

Yes, you are right, most of the people in Florida that are honest think he was a good governor and I am one of those that prefers a governor over a senator for President.

Kyle, no, Florida can not be considred a Blue state; a swing state yes, but one or two elections does not swing a state. If that were the case many states would be flipping from red to blue and back to red almost every few elections.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have several things that make me now want him to get the knod: 1: his name, it should not make a difference, but it will. 2-I am not sure he really wants it that badly and you have to really have the fire in your belly to be a serious candidate: 3-I want new blood, not only is he not new, he has been out of the political scene for 8 years or more. 4-I am not too sure he could beat Hillary. We need someone that can excite the base and the indepentents. I do not think Bush can do it.

Yes, you are right, most of the people in Florida that are honest think he was a good governor and I am one of those that prefers a governor over a senator for President.

Kyle, no, Florida can not be considred a Blue state; a swing state yes, but one or two elections does not swing a state. If that were the case many states would be flipping from red to blue and back to red almost every few elections.
Here's one of the rare times we are in agreement. Two times swinging blue in a row do not a Blue State make. Both times Obama carried Florida, he did so by far less than his national margin. Florida's an interesting state to watch for the future. The fastest growing segment of its population is non-Cuban Hispanics, which is a good group currently for Dems, so it could cause a tilt in the future but for now we need to get beyond Barack Obama and see how other Denocratic candidates perform there. Until proven otherwise, it's probably best to assume that North Carolina, Florida and Ohio continue to tilt slightly more Republican than the Nation as a whole.

If I were to war game a scenario where we could have an extremely close election in the Electoral College in 2016, it would break down something like this:

The Republicans start with their base of 191 electoral votes. If they keep the one state that is competitive that Romney carried (North Carolina), add 15 EV to reach Romney's total of 206. Add Florida and Ohio to that total and the GOP stands at 253 electoral votes. From that point on, they have to pick up 17 EV in states that were carried by Obama by more than his national average, although Virginia was only more D by a scant fraction.

On the Democratic side, start with the Blue Wall of 242 EV. It's not an absolute lock that they'll carry all of those states, but those that are remotely competitive (Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) all have had more of an historic lean to the Democrats, than the 3 competitive states listed above that I'm giving to the GOP. To the Blue Wall total of 242 EV, add 2 more states in the Southwest which trended strongly Democratic in the Obama years; New Mexico (carried by BO by an average of 12%) and Nevade (9%). By carrying those 2 states, the Democrats add 11 EV to also reach 253 EV. With 506 (94%) of the electoral vote decided, the election would be decided in 4 states worth a total of 32 EV; Colorado (9 EV), Iowa (6), New Hampshire (4) and Virginia (13). The side winning Virginia can reach 270 EV by taking New Hampshire (270-268). The side losing Virginia could still win in this scenario, but they would have to sweep Colorado, Iowa and New Hampshire to win 272-266.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Because he's really not that smart for being a Bush.
Actually, Jeb is wicked smart which his 99% of his problem. Unfortunately he has a habit of being glib, and sarcastic when confronted with questions thrown at him that he thinks are stupid. The problem is he isn't gifted in the art of being glib or sarcastic which is why he bombs on the stump. In 1996 he was asked by a plant reporter, "what are you going to do for black people," which was a pretty stupid question. Jeb's response was, "nothing!" followed by too long of a pause before continuing to say that his policies would be good for all Floridians and that African Americans would greatly benefit from them. The only problem was the pause was too long and a sound bite was born. In an instant Jeb turned a race neutral campaign for governor into one filled with racial overtones. Jeb lost to Lauten Childs, his brother won in Texas, and Jeb's line to the White House was lost to his brother.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Actually, Jeb is wicked smart which his 99% of his problem. Unfortunately he has a habit of being glib, and sarcastic when confronted with questions thrown at him that he thinks are stupid. The problem is he isn't gifted in the art of being glib or sarcastic which is why he bombs on the stump. In 1996 he was asked by a plant reporter, "what are you going to do for black people," which was a pretty stupid question. Jeb's response was, "nothing!" followed by too long of a pause before continuing to say that his policies would be good for all Floridians and that African Americans would greatly benefit from them. The only problem was the pause was too long and a sound bite was born. In an instant Jeb turned a race neutral campaign for governor into one filled with racial overtones. Jeb lost to Lauten Childs, his brother won in Texas, and Jeb's line to the White House was lost to his brother.
Agree. Jeb is very often the smartest guy in the room. The problem is that he knows it, often doesn't suffer fools gladly. Unfortunately in the public realm he can come off with the impression that "I know more about this than anyone of you."

Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Why not? He did pretty well in Florida. Florida starts to gain population consistently and is the most prosperous state in souteast. I still remember when I was in Tallahassee in 1998 Florida was just another state south of Georgia. Now Florida is much better than Georgia.

And he can stop Clinton, if you don't mind.

I'd rather not.

Both Rand and Cruz can beat Clinton. Not another McCain, Romney or Bush. Have the GOP not learned their lesson?

Take a lesson from Reagan and go with the more Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections