Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Non-interventionism is nonsense??? The single greatest threat to America is our constant intervention around the globe. We are less free, less safe, and much poorer after a decade plus of waging a "global war on terrorism." You warhawks will never learn, your foreign policy is suicidal lunacy writ large and you have the balls to call non-interventionism "nonsense." If you we listened to morons like Lindsay Graham and John McCain we'd still be in Iraq and we'd also be in Syria, Iran, and probably Russia by now.
Yep...like I said nonsense. I thought the single greatest threat was global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't think anyone here has defined the difference between "non-interventionism" and "isolationism."
Get yourself this book it will help you.....
Excerpt: 'America in Retreat' by Bret Stephens - ABC News

Old 06-01-2015, 05:46 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Get yourself this book it will help you.....
Excerpt: 'America in Retreat' by Bret Stephens - ABC News
I know what the difference is. But the thread discussion is going as though some people don't.

Your link does not provide the difference--it's a biased viewpoint of someone whose own internal thoughts are conflicting, offering a completely erroneous view of a supposedly Godly viewpoint by which he doesn't even understand what he's quoting. And the fact that he's got to pull God into supporting his political stance is questionable enough.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I know what the difference is. But the thread discussion is going as though some people don't.
It don't help when you have people use isolationist as rhetoric for non-intverentialism like I mentioned in a previous post. There's too many people that turn that into isolationist to support a hawkish policy. Perhaps because the media labeled him as isolationist because no one would know what the other is, and then when he acts "hawkish" they label him as a flip-flopper. He's someone that depending on week the Democratic candidate was, I may vote for but he may not necessarily vote for him in the primaries.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Rand Paul is authentic, but as a Libertarian not a Republican. Reason Ron and Rand are in the Republican party is because the Libertarian party couldn't attract enough support from voters.

Question is, why does the Republican party allow them in? Probably because what support they do get is rabid and Republicans want their votes in the general election.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Rand Paul is authentic, but as a Libertarian not a Republican. Reason Ron and Rand are in the Republican party is because the Libertarian party couldn't attract enough support from voters.

Question is, why does the Republican party allow them in? Probably because what support they do get is rabid and Republicans want their votes in the general election.
The Republican party should welcome them in and more Libertarians would be wise to be involved in the GOP. Same as Christian Conservatives but at the end of the day you have to realize something is better than nothing.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:39 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Quote:
The Republican party should welcome them in and more Libertarians would be wise to be involved in the GOP. Same as Christian Conservatives but at the end of the day you have to realize something is better than nothing.
I understand why they do it, but if I was a Libertarian I'd have a really hard time joining the Republican Party, and if I was a Republican I'd have a hard time accepting people I know are true, blue Libertarians joining the party. Oh well, I'll let them worry about it, I'll continue keeping my eyes open for a new third party that suits me. Tired of voting for Republicans when I vehemently disagree with them on certain key issues. And I promised myself I wouldn't vote for another Democrat after Clinton. Voted for him in '92 and have always regretted that decision. Democrats have been in a steep spiral downwards ever since.

Republicans have an opening with voters but refuse to seize upon their opportunity.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I understand why they do it, but if I was a Libertarian I'd have a really hard time joining the Republican Party, and if I was a Republican I'd have a hard time accepting people I know are true, blue Libertarians joining the party. Oh well, I'll let them worry about it, I'll continue keeping my eyes open for a new third party that suits me. Tired of voting for Republicans when I vehemently disagree with them on certain key issues. And I promised myself I wouldn't vote for another Democrat after Clinton. Voted for him in '92 and have always regretted that decision. Democrats have been in a steep spiral downwards ever since.

Republicans have an opening with voters but refuse to seize upon their opportunity.
Besides bringing in libertarianism ideals, what opportunity does the Republican Party have. Either they go moderate and you have "conservatives stay home" or you go more conservative and disenfranchise moderates into starting home if not voting against the Republicans. I am a Rockefeller or moderate Republican but a registered independent because I do not believe in conservative ideals.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Besides bringing in libertarianism ideals, what opportunity does the Republican Party have. Either they go moderate and you have "conservatives stay home" or you go more conservative and disenfranchise moderates into starting home if not voting against the Republicans. I am a Rockefeller or moderate Republican but a registered independent because I do not believe in conservative ideals.
So you are a Rockefeller Republican, good for you, and you choose not to support the party unless the candidate totally agrees with you. This reasoning has always made me wonder where some people get their ideas. What makes you say you are not a conservative or don't support conservative views, what views are you not agreeing with? Is it fiscal views or social ideas? Did the REpublican party elect a number of Presidents that do not share the Rockefeller ideas?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
End of the day, Libertarians and Christian Conservatives make lousy bed partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections