Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times

Advertisements

Report: George Pataki to announce presidential bid Thursday - Nick Gass - POLITICO

Carson, Cruz, Fiorina, Huckabee, Paul, Rubio, Pataki

with

Graham, Bush, Perry, Santorum, Walker and Kasich almost certainly joining.

likely 13 candidates in the field.

this tells you how weak people think bush is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Report: George Pataki to announce presidential bid Thursday - Nick Gass - POLITICO

Carson, Cruz, Fiorina, Huckabee, Paul, Rubio, Pataki

with

Graham, Bush, Perry, Santorum, Walker and Kasich almost certainly joining.

likely 13 candidates in the field.

this tells you how weak people think bush is.

Actually it tells you how weak the Republicans think that Mrs. Clinton and the Democrats are.

Everyone thinks they can beat her like a drum in next years election.

It says nothing about Bush, W is long gone and his brother is just one of many seeking the nomination.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Actually it tells you how weak the Republicans think that Mrs. Clinton and the Democrats are.

Everyone thinks they can beat her like a drum in next years election.

It says nothing about Bush, W is long gone and his brother is just one of many seeking the nomination.

I actually think the OP is right. They think they can beat Bush who the Republican Elites back.

What I don't understand is where all of the potential candidates think the money will come from for a primary race. The size of the pizza that has to be sliced isn't going to change. It just means everyone will get a smaller slice of the pie. The only thing I'm wondering, if Bush doesn't go the distance is who will get his donors. I think the Republican Machine is leaning toward Rubio, the other guy with the wrong immigration stance if you believe what he said when he wasn't running more than you believe him now. This is the same time Drudge is reporting today that what we have now is an open border. That scares me. He's about as experienced as Obama was in 2008.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Say what you will, but Pataki is electable. Unlike most of the candidates on the right.

Mick

Old 05-26-2015, 08:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Say what you will, but Pataki is electable. Unlike most of the candidates on the right.

Mick
He is electable if he can make it to the ballot. I don't see how he gets thru primary season though.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Mick

Pataki is very old, aged 70. He's pro-gun control and pro-abortion.

Nominating Gov. Pataki takes three issues away from the GOP at one time. Voters who would be inclined to vote against Mrs. Clinton because she is pro-abort, anti-gun and perceived as too old and decrepit, all no longer have a reason to make it to the polls. Further Mr. Pataki hasn't won an election with the majority of the vote since the 20th Century

I just don't see him as a viable general election candidate, just not popular enough, too old and little to distinguish himself from his presumed adversary next year.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Is Pataki selling a book? If not, I can't think of a reason o run, other than ego.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
He is electable if he can make it to the ballot. I don't see how he gets thru primary season though.

If Pataki gets the nomination, I don't see how he can motivate conservatives to come to the polls in November.

There really isn't much to distinguish him from Mrs. Clinton.

Unless you think that Pataki will be able to motivate enough liberals to cast for him to make up for the disenfranchised conservatives? Personally, I don't see it. I think that if Pataki were nominated, he'd be subjected to the greatest political assaults in the history of elections, and people will think that the GOP nominated the spawn of Hitler and Stalin.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:

Mick
Are you from NY? Because outside of the NY area he is unknown (unless they actually remember him from 9/11 and that was a long 14 years ago) and when people see northeast candidate, they see high taxes and high cost of living.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If Pataki gets the nomination, I don't see how he can motivate conservatives to come to the polls in November.

There really isn't much to distinguish him from Mrs. Clinton.

Unless you think that Pataki will be able to motivate enough liberals to cast for him to make up for the disenfranchised conservatives? Personally, I don't see it. I think that if Pataki were nominated, he'd be subjected to the greatest political assaults in the history of elections, and people will think that the GOP nominated the spawn of Hitler and Stalin.
I see this election a little bit differently. I think it's more a referendum on Hillary than anything else. A completely inoffensive Republican stands the best chance of beating her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections