Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times

Advertisements

I am an evangelical. As a matter of fact, I am a moderate Southern Baptist. I am registered as a Republican, but was once a blazing McGovern liberal.

That was all said because, I don't think a church should allow, nor should the IRS continue acknowledging a church's tax-free status if a politician is allowed, invited, or ever occupies a pulpit with a political agenda. I don't care if it is Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Mike Huckabee, Pat Robinson, or any other "minister, pastor, or spiritual leader".

I like Mike Huckabee, but a wise old adage of Southern Baptists' is to never ever vote for a preacher. I may go against that wisdom, I might even consider a Mormon, or even a crusty old sailor, but I don't want a politician standing in a pulpit.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,035 times
It is a fine line...and I don't think I know a man or woman who could separate the two. There is a reason for the separation of church and state. Take the example of "pro-life." Who wouldn't want to be labeled "pro-life"? If you're not pro-life you're against life? I certainly do not think abortion is a good option for many reasons, but I will always defend the rights of each woman to be able to have the choice. I guess that makes me anti-life in the eyes of some evangelical preachers. That is what scares me. I do not want someone else's idea of morality imposed on me, and I think that is what would happen if a preacher becomes a president.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Hey, wait a minute. Do you consider Roman Catholics as evangelical, too?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,035 times
I was thinking of Mike Huckabee in relation to this election. Mitt Romney is pro-life of course, but he has stated (weak arguement, I know!) that his church will govern what they have jurisdiction over and he will govern the country. Huckabee hasn't said that. So, that is why I stated an "evangelical" preacher as a president would be worrisome for me.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am an evangelical. As a matter of fact, I am a moderate Southern Baptist. I am registered as a Republican, but was once a blazing McGovern liberal.

That was all said because, I don't think a church should allow, nor should the IRS continue acknowledging a church's tax-free status if a politician is allowed, invited, or ever occupies a pulpit with a political agenda. I don't care if it is Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Mike Huckabee, Pat Robinson, or any other "minister, pastor, or spiritual leader".

I like Mike Huckabee, but a wise old adage of Southern Baptists' is to never ever vote for a preacher. I may go against that wisdom, I might even consider a Mormon, or even a crusty old sailor, but I don't want a politician standing in a pulpit.

What do you think?
I think I hope you wield a lot of influence in your church and beyond, I think yours is a well-reasoned point of view.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM

My church? One of the things most misunderstood about Southern Baptists is that we have a "power-up" heirarchy where the members have total power as individuals and we are the ultimate individuals who voluntarily affiliate with like-believing people and form local congregations. Unlike so many other denominations, there is no "Baptist Church" but rather thousands of congregations that call themselves a church. So, neither I, nor other Southern Baptists have a lot of personal power within our faith politically. Most, but certainly not all, Baptists are fiercely independent in our faith beliefs, but when we unite on a subject, watch out simply due to shear numbers.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,555 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Could not agree more!
Though Huck seems like a good man in general I could not vote for him.
Due to past to recent events (LBJ to Bush II) I can no longer support any person running for President if they are from Texas, Georgia, or Arkansas

Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
My church? One of the things most misunderstood about Southern Baptists is that we have a "power-up" heirarchy where the members have total power as individuals and we are the ultimate individuals who voluntarily affiliate with like-believing people and form local congregations. Unlike so many other denominations, there is no "Baptist Church" but rather thousands of congregations that call themselves a church. So, neither I, nor other Southern Baptists have a lot of personal power within our faith politically. Most, but certainly not all, Baptists are fiercely independent in our faith beliefs, but when we unite on a subject, watch out simply due to shear numbers.
I didn't mean to imply a hierarchy, what you describe as a 'congregation' is what I've always viewed as a 'church'. When I said I hoped you wielded influence in your church I meant just that, in your local congregation. I would never underestimate the power that grassroots ideas can exert.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Burdell, thank you for that kind explanation.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 PM

384 posts, read 286,953 times
I don't think politicians should preach.

I don't think God's name or any reference to religion should be used in the Presidential race.
Since most if not all politicians break the ten commandments almost on a daily basic in D.C. anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections