Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,560,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
If Wall St remains a big issue for Clinton, then maybe for Kasich too, though I'm less inclined to believe so at this stage, because it was not part of his "public" life.

KASICH'S LEHMAN PROBLEM - CNN's MJ Lee: "Ohio Gov. John Kasich loves talking about his record in office, his knack for balancing the budget and his controversial decision to back Medicaid expansion. But there's one part of his resume he's less inclined to discuss: the years he spent as a senior executive at Lehman Brothers. Kasich joined Lehman's investment banking division as managing director in 2001, working there until the firm's collapse in September 2008 unleashed global panic ...
"The Republican governor's past work at arguably the most deeply vilified Wall Street firm ... is likely to serve as rich fodder for political attacks if Kasich were to become a serious contender for the GOP's presidential nomination. His banking background is particularly ripe for scrutiny and criticism in the 2016 cycle, as populist, anti-Wall Street sentiment is fueling support for a number of candidates on both sides of the political aisle." John Kasich's Wall Street ties could haunt 2016 bid - CNNPolitics.com
Well, your positive comments about him inspired me to look him up.

I do think the fact that he was a managing director for Lehman Brothers removes him as a viable candidate. Even if what he personally did there was on the up and up, why would any American want anyone who was a manager for this shifty, greedy, manipulative corporation in any sort of political office? How could anyone think that with him in office D.C.'s preferential treatment for large corporations like this would not continue?

It certainly removes him from my radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,645,525 times
Kasich has made the first full statewide TV buy of the election in NH. None of the many declared candidates have yet done so.

He's up with a one minute intro that runs from today thru 07-13, which is a week before his official announcement. I've seen different claims/reports of what this is costing, $500,000 to $1,000,000, so I'll go with $750,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9Liwfs_tI

Strikes me as a good move from his perspective. He needs to move the needle in the polls soon, if only for the early debates, and if he doesn't gain traction in the fall, he'll be out early.

The current RCP average has him at 1.5 % in 13th place behind Fiorina at 2% and Santorum at 2.3%

The current Fox poll has him in joint 11th on 2% with Jindal, Perry, and Christie. Here again he needs to overtake Fiorina and Santorum who are jointly on 3%.

Since the Fox debate is first and in Ohio, I can't imagine that they and/or others won't do an Ohio poll before the debate. Granted, the criteria for debate admission is national polling, but I believe polls influence polls, in both directions, local on national, and national on local. People like reinforcement that their beliefs and opinions are with the majority, even when they're not.

My own view is that he will gain sufficient traction to stay in, and will be a slow steady marathon runner rather than a sprinter who bursts and flames out early. Man with a plan, and executing it.

I think a Kasich - Rubio/Nikki Haley ticket would be very competitive, and I say that as a D who doesn't know how I'm going to vote.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,042,185 times
A Managing Director at these Wall Street firms are not what the title makes it sound like. Lehman had around 700 Managing Directors. They are basically sales people with connections. His were mainly in Silicon Valley and Ohio. He made a ~192K salary, plus bonus of ~440K in 2008. Certainly more than I ever made. I do not begrudge him that though. He was basically just a well paid working stiff. No a kingpin and certainly not involved in the fraud that brought Lehman down.

Maybe you are just looking for a reason to disqualify him. Or not doing sufficient homework on candidate "allegations". I think the quote from the linked article puts his time at Lehman in perspective.

Quote:
Five years ago, Kasich allowed reporters to view his 2008 tax return, saying it was typical. It showed that he was paid a $182,692 salary from Lehman, with a $432,000 bonus and $2,250 in other benefits.

“In our world, John was not paid like a rock star,” Weinstein said. “But in middle America, it still might be seen as quite a lot.”

While the criticism of Kasich’s Lehman days may be good politics, a president should understand capital, Schlein said.

“Like Wall Street, hate Wall Street, whatever your position is, it is the financial engine that makes the country go around,” he said. “How can you not want a better understanding of it, regardless of what your opinion is?”
John Kasich
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, your positive comments about him inspired me to look him up.

I do think the fact that he was a managing director for Lehman Brothers removes him as a viable candidate. Even if what he personally did there was on the up and up, why would any American want anyone who was a manager for this shifty, greedy, manipulative corporation in any sort of political office? How could anyone think that with him in office D.C.'s preferential treatment for large corporations like this would not continue?

It certainly removes him from my radar.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 PM

1,074 posts, read 945,439 times
I can see Kasich bearing Hillary Clinton. He has experience. He's from a crucial swing state. He was a congressman. Very conservative, but could appeal to moderate Republicans

Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,042,185 times
I think his actions as Governor moved him somewhat to the left of the conservative spectrum, to being a moderate. But, that underscores his pragmatism. Ohio is more blue, definitely more union, than red. That is just him being pragmatic, in order to govern effectively..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
I can see Kasich bearing Hillary Clinton. He has experience. He's from a crucial swing state. He was a congressman. Very conservative, but could appeal to moderate Republicans

Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,378,441 times
I like him, have always liked him and even if his actions as governor have moved him somewhat, I would gladly consider supporting him, but I think he is a little late and not quite what the people are looking for at this time.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM

Today's the day!

Here's a good profile of Kasich. His biggest competitor, at least initially, will be Scott Walker.
A strong "leader" is unafraid to challenge the status quo, or take unpopular positions if they believe it's the right thing to do..

Quote:
The pointed sales pitch he
described himself making to a legislator in 2013 doubles as his challenge to the GOP as a whole:
I said, "I respect the fact that you believe in small government. I do, too. I also happen to know that you're a person of faith. Now, when you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he's probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.  "
Yet not everyone appears to be buying what Kasich is selling. Charles Koch announced in April that he'd winnowed the burgeoning GOP field to five main contenders. Kasich, unsurprisingly, wasn't among them.
And as for wealthy Koch donor network events like the one Kasich caused such a stir at? He hasn't been invited back.
John Kasich is the most interesting GOP presidential contender

Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 AM

688 posts, read 1,113,479 times
Maybe I am biased being in John's state of Ohio. Or, maybe I have a better understanding of what he's all about. Either way, I hope he makes the cut and ends up being one of the finalists for the GOP nomination.

For many of the reason I laid out in an earlier thread here, I think he would have national appeal but won't make the cut. Too often the primary forces candidates to appeal to the fringe of voters - either far left or far right. Then they have to moderate. First, John is a candid guy - often too candid. I don't see him BSing voters and trying to swing far right. This translates to a snowball's chance he gets the nomination. It is sad in my opinion, because Ohio is a crucial swing state and he is popular here. And being a swing state Ohio can be viewed as a microcosm of the rest of the country. If he can win here, he should have a decent shot at the national level if only he could separate himself from a crowded GOP field.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 AM

He announces in less than an hour. Here's some of this morning's commentary.

DRIVING THE DAY -- #16! Ohio Gov. John Kasich jumps in with Kasich for America announcement at Ohio State University student union in Columbus. Program begins at 11 a.m.; Kasich scheduled to speak at 11:38 a.m. The themes, per a campaign adviser: "It will be authentic and passionate: The governor is going to speak ... without a script or a teleprompter ... His experience is unmatched ... He led the effort to balance the federal budget, he served on the House Armed Services Committee for 18 years, he helped turn around Ohio and cut taxes by $5 billion ...

"He knows how to lead, keep America safe, create jobs, bring people together and lift people up. ... His optimism and hopefulness is infectious: The governor will talk about his vision for America that connects so well with people because it's what we need-a stronger military for a safer country; a balanced budget for a stable future; a return to the values that made America great-personal responsibility, teamwork, empathy, resilience, family and faith. ... He's for us."

DEBATE DASHBOARD - 16 days: Roster for first debate, based on latest polling, per Politico's Steve Shepard in our PM hot read, The 2016 Blast: 1) Trump ... 2) Jeb ... 3) Walker ... Tied for 4) Huckabee, Rand, Rubio ... 7) Carson ... 8) Cruz ... 9) Christie ... 10) Perry.

--THE BUBBLE: Christie and Perry could drop off. Santorum and Kasich are closest to making it.

--OUT for now: Santorum, Kasich, Jindal, Carly, Lindsey, Pataki, Gilmore.

--WILL KASICH MAKE THE CUT? He needs a quick bump. Would be awkward for the home-state governor to miss the debate, which is in Cleveland on Aug. 6.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich is expected to become the 16th GOP presidential candidate. "The second-term governor and former congressman declares his candidacy Tuesday at Ohio State University ... Kasich (prounounced KAY'-sik) ran for president once before, briefly seeking the 2000 nomination after he helped seal a federal balanced budget deal as House Budget chairman in 1997. Since then he put in nearly a decade as an investment executive and more than four years of strong-willed and often abrasive leadership as governor." Julie Carr Smyth for the Associated Press.

He hasn't been afraid to reject Republican orthodoxy. "The two-term governor will make his intentions known at a rally on the campus of Ohio State University. ... He has spent the past two years separating himself from some of the harder edges of the conservative movement. He has said often that he wants to define what it means to be a Republican. In Ohio, he engineered an expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, in contrast to many Republican governors. He has championed spending more money on such things as treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. He cites his religious faith as motivating him to help those in need. He has said he is open to a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants." Dan Balz in The Washington Post.

Kasich has a shot, but he might be too late for the debate. "A critical early test for Mr. Kasich, analysts say, will be whether he can raise those numbers enough to land a spot in the Aug. 6 Republican debate in Cleveland, in his own backyard. But it may be too late; only the top 10 candidates in polling will make the cut. 'The first debate, to me, is the first primary,' said Matthew Dowd, the chief strategist for George W. Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign. He views Mr. Kasich — along with Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor, and Mr. Rubio — as the candidates who 'have a real legitimate shot at winning the nomination.' But, Mr. Dowd said, 'He needs to get on that stage.' " Sheryl Gay Stolberg in The New York Times.

His economic agenda: Reduce the deficit and raise business investment. "Kasich has talked in general terms of policies he would pursue. They start with moving back toward a balanced budget. He said that would give businesses confidence to invest. Kasich said he would change expensing and depreciation to spur spending on factories and equipment. He said that will help workers be more productive and improve wages. He also has said he'll have a plan to repatriate U.S. profits. ... Kasich talks often about the need for a lower income tax and even vowed to eliminate Ohio's when he ran for governor in 2010. Kasich cut taxes in his last two budgets with the ultimate goal of phasing out the state income tax, a goal he has not yet reached. ... While other Republican candidates are also discussing economic growth and lower taxes, Kasich is the only one emphasizing increased business investment, said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, an economist." Mark Niquette for Bloomberg.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,260,946 times
Clearly running for a VP spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections