Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you joking? Any language other than English is a foreign language on our soil. English isn't anymore because we adopted it as our de facto national American language.
People have been speaking Spanish in what is today the United States since before the first of the orignal Thirteen (British) Colonies were even thought of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:04 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Are you joking? Any language other than English is a foreign language on our soil. English isn't anymore because we adopted it as our de facto national American language.
When the United States was founded, there were three European languages being spoken on this continent: Spanish, French, and English. If France had won the Seven Wars War, we all might be speaking French today. Spanish never died out and in many places in the U.S. today it is the primary language. English is not the official language, we have no official language. There is not anything foreign about Spanish. Its speakers are Americans.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
When the United States was founded, there were three European languages being spoken on this continent: Spanish, French, and English. If France had won the Seven Wars War, we all might be speaking French today. Spanish never died out and in many places in the U.S. today it is the primary language. English is not the official language, we have no official language. There is not anything foreign about Spanish. Its speakers are Americans.
So what? English was still adopted as our national de facto language. I never said it was our official language but it sure should be. Spanish is only prevalent in the southwest and Miami because of the Cubans. Still English is spoken more widely in those places also. I never said that Spanish speakers weren't Americans but their language is not our identifying one. You are mixing apples with oranges here. All of our government documents and the Constitution are in English not Spanish nor any other language. Sorry if that bothers you.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
So what? English was still adopted as our national de facto language. I never said it was our official language but it sure should be. Spanish is only prevalent in the southwest and Miami because of the Cubans. Still English is spoken more widely in those places also. I never said that Spanish speakers weren't Americans but their language is not our identifying one. You are mixing apples with oranges here. All of our government documents and the Constitution are in English not Spanish nor any other language. Sorry if that bothers you.
That's interesting because the two oldest American cities (depending on who you talk to - St. Augustine or San Juan) were settled by Spanish speakers. The third oldest American city: Santa Fe, NM - also settled by the Spanish.

Contrary the popular belief the United States began with Juan Ponce de Leon ... not with the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
I was in Chinatown today (NYC), no one was speaking English, including a local politician. Ct pols I know personally spoke Italian at gatherings with their organizations.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 PM

752 posts, read 566,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
"The first generation Latinos are conservative and religious, the second are more moderate and third generation, because they live mostly in cities tend to be liberal, more know what the three groups have in common, love for the welfare state .. . it overcomes issues such as abortion, gay marriage and other things, Latinos are apathetic to these questions, it is not for nothing that these issues already in many Latin countries is legalized, mainly in Mexico and South America."
I think you've highlighted a reality than many Republicans prefer to paper over with the false panaceas of 'immigration reform' or ethnic tokenism. In a lengthy post on the GOP's demographic challenges, I compiled extensive polling data indicating as much. To summarize, second/third+ generation Hispanics, as you mention, are far less likely to hold socially conservative positions than the first generation/foreign born. Additionally, the former group is much more apt to describe itself as politically 'liberal.' Support for activist government drops among latter generations, yet is still found at much higher levels than among the general population. Basically, with the exception of vestigial social conservatism seen at the older end of the age distribution, Hispanics favor the liberal/Democratic position on every issue (taxes, spending, guns, gays, abortion, etc.).

Last edited by drishmael; 06-07-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
I think you've highlighted a reality than many Republicans prefer to paper over with the false panaceas of 'immigration reform' or ethnic tokenism. In a lengthy post on the GOP's demographic challenges, I compiled extensive polling data indicating as much. To summarize, second/third+ generation Hispanics, as you mention, are far less likely to hold socially conservative positions than the first generation/foreign born. Additionally, the former group is much more apt to describe itself as politically 'liberal.' Support for activist government drops among latter generations, yet is still found at much higher levels than among the general population. Basically, with the exception of vestigial social conservatism seen at the older end of the age distribution, Hispanics favor the liberal/Democratic position on every issue (taxes, spending, guns, gays, abortion, etc.).
And illegal immigration.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I never said it was our official language .
It is not, never has been, and never will be.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is not, never has been, and never will be.
Jim Crow was killed and Leander Perez's buys would've taken you or me in IF we stood up for the rights of Black Americans 50 years ago. Then came Civil Rights.

I DO think that English WILL become the official language of the US. Tho we may need to get rid of Puerto Rico 1st.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:19 PM

You can think cats will fly, too. That will not happen, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections