Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM

384 posts, read 287,059 times

Advertisements

Foreigners buy stakes in U.S. at record pace

Last November, a Saudi Arabian conglomerate bought a Massachusetts plastics maker.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 01-24-2008 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Only Ron Paul will combat this... everyone else... NOPE..

Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Default Foreign Ownership of the U.S.

Yes, it has been in the making for many years. The Big Multinational Corporations have sold our country to the highest bidder. In some ways it is good to see foreign money bailing us out of current failed Bush economic policies so our people don't starve. On the other hand it hurts our psyche as Americans since we were always the Top Dog in the world economically but now we are not. The question of mine is: Where are all of the jobs we thought were coming to the U.S. from foreign countries like Japan, Europe that we desperately need now? Our dollar is low so I thought that would spur investment here? Something is way off and we are not being told the truth.
What else would you expect from the Bushys?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 PM

217 posts, read 752,121 times
If you have watched over the years, this country has been parceled out since WWII. The words "Made in Japan" were the beginning of the knoll. Very few items I touch in my house during the course of the day were "Made in the USA"; Not even my favorite Fender Stratocaster. Fortunately it was made in Japan in the mid 1980s and is of better quality than the USA models.
The rest of my guitars, save an acoustic, are domestic.
I can use any other electronic convenience here and all are Asian. Clothing is world wide, even Levis.
We were sold out and approved of it - now we have no employment but as that of a service nation servicing itself.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
This is the problem with borrowing money from other countries to fund our deficit budgets (which is what has created our National Debt). Bill Clinton was trying to balance the budgets so we could apply any extra to the National Debt. GWB threw that idea out the window and managed to enlarge our National Debt to the point it is at now. We owe everybody and their brother. We've run the whole Iraq War on borrowed money.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
If you have watched over the years, this country has been parceled out since WWII.
I agree completely... Our country has slowing be eroding for quite some time..

Ron Paul is truly our last hope or we will surely collapse....

Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Nobody can fix that except you people. You wanna drive huge SUVs that get 9 miles a gallon and send all your money to the Arabs and then ***** when they spend it buying your country or sending people to blow up what they don't buy. YOU are the problem- not the Arabs.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM

711 posts, read 933,033 times
Smile Fix this?

Along with the very informative posts I have read may I add this.

Corporate "leaders" warily defend their positions saying they are only interested in increasing their businesses competiveness and raising productivity. In their case competiveness and productivity are code words for "cheap labor".In finding that "cheap labor" all over the world they have been successful in putting the US middle class worker in direct and indirect competition with workers making pennies an hour or a few dollars a day!

When GW Bush and corporate America say US workers can compete globally if there is a level playing field, they obviously mean to cut the US standard of living down to the level of the third world. This would all but eliminate the middle class as we have known it.

While the middle class is getting hammered by stagnate real earnings, enormous gas and heating oil prices, we are not being allowed to share in the exorbient fortunes of big business. Corporate taxes are the lowest in a century and corporate profits have risen more than 20% 2005-2006. Those profits account for the largest share of national income in forty years.

There is more disgust concerning the selling of America by our elected "leaders" but I am sure most of us realize this blindside of the middle class could not have occured had it not been for their permissiveness. More to come! BTW I have not heard these issues seriously addressed by our candidates and I doubt if any of us will.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM

309 posts, read 365,344 times
Foreign "investment" of American companies and a large percentage of the NYSE......along with the investment of American real estate (SOIL).........is, and has become too rampant, accepted and encouraged for far too long.

Yeah.....the money has and does pour into our economy and "help" it stay afloat, but does nothing in the long run FOR America its security and its sovereignty.
America IS FOR SALE!

IF....this is nothing more than America's place now....in Globalization, then it is definitely NOT good for the vast majority of American citizens, IMO.
It only shows that America is gradually slipping further DOWN globally and in its status as a "Superpower."
Not....the loss of our military "superpower" status......yet, but a major loss of our economic status as potentially....wealthier foreign nations and/or their corporations......soon find it "cheaper" to outsource jobs to THIS country since America is going broke, in debt to them and......ever more so.....OWNED by them!
Soon enough.......American's just MIGHT be willing to take ANY job they can get with whatever foreign-based company will hire them........then the American worker has basically, been BOUGHT too!

And it either makes one paranoid or just persceptive.......to THINK what COULD eventually be the result of this!

Scary!

Last edited by Skytripper; 01-21-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,038 times
This has bothered me for years when Asian companies started buying up CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections