Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:14 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,681,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Being in Corporate America you can throw stones, but she right size the business with the Tech. Bubble.
Ok, that is so far from the case, it's almost funny.

Her main accomplishment was engineering a merger with Compaq, just as consumer PCs became low-margin commodities. She bought that millstone with HP stock that was backed by HP's rock-solid reputation as a printer and instrumentation company. That watered down the stock's value, so I guess a bunch of portfolios got "right-sized", but that's hardly an accomplishment.

Fiorina's defense? "I made it a bigger company". Sure. But only by sacrificing stockholder value in the company she was paid to run. But she got a bigger train set to play with, so there is that.

Why Carly

Quote:
Running a business you are not everyone's buddy.
Running a business badly, even less so. When the news of your firing make employees sing "Ding-dong, the witch is dead" and the stock price jump 7%, you were probably not very good at running a business seen from any perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,732,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's looking like it will likely come down to Bush and Rubio. Here's a question, if Rubio wins the Repub nomination, would he nominate Jeb and would Jeb accept? BTW, I googled whether a Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate can be from the same state and the answer is yes, despite the myth interpretation to the contrary.
They can run from the same state together.

However, the Electors from that state cannot cast both their votes (each Elector gets one vote for President and one vote for Vice President) for two candidates who are both from the same state as they Elector - they can only cast one vote for a candidate from their state.

Amendment XII:
Quote:
The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 12 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Now, one candidate or the other could in theory simple move out of state, in the same way that Dick Cheney did in 2000 (he and Bush both lived in Texas). But that was easy, because Cheney moved back to his lifelong home-state of Wyoming where he made his political name and where he still owned a home anyway. Conversely, Marco Rubio has lived in Florida his whole life, save for a single year in college. He's also a United States Senator representing Florida. Bush has lived in Florida for 35 years and it is his political state of record. Sure, he could 'move' and register to vote in some other state to satisfy the Constitution. How do you think that would look politically? It would be an political optics disaster.

So what happens if they run together and decide to risk it? Let's say Rubio-Bush takes all the Romney states plus FL, OH, VA and CO. That's 275 Electoral College votes. But... oooops, the Florida Electors can't vote for Bush because they're already voting for Rubio. No one wins 270 Electoral College votes for Vice President. Now what?

Per the Constitution, the Senate then picks the Vice President, and they can only choose from the top two recipients of votes for Vice President in the Electoral College. That would be Bush and Clinton's running mate. No problem, the Republicans control the Senate, right? Correct, they do - now. But per the Constitution, new Congresses are sworn in on January 3rd, and by law Electoral College votes are certified in a joint session of Congress on January 6th. So it would be the Senate elected in November 2016 that would choose the next Vice President. And have you seen next year's Senate map? The Democrats defend a mere 10 seats, all in states President Obama carried twice. The Republicans defend 24 seats, including 7 in states President Obama twice carried. Even in a close election, the Democrats have a good shot at flipping at least four seats to make the Senate 50-50 (they'd win because Vice President Biden, who will be in office until that January 20th, casts any necessary tie-breaking votes).

Why would Rubio want to go through the contortions of himself or Bush having to 'move' to another state, or risking the scenario I describe above regarding the election of the Vice President, just to put Bush on the ticket? Frankly, I can't see Bush bringing anything to a Rubio ticket. Bush-Rubio would make a little more sense, but Kasich sounds like a much better running mate for either of them than their fellow Floridian.

So, Rubio and Bush can run together, but there's zero chance it will happen.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump may not even be eligible for the 1st TV debate.

Summary of recent polls:
2016 National Republican Primary - Polls - HuffPost Pollster

Latest WSJ poll:
Jeb Bush surges to lead GOP pack in new 2016 poll | MSNBC

*** Who gets left off that first debate stage? The NBC/WSJ poll measured 16 GOP candidates in our horserace question. And here are the 10 Republicans who make our poll’s Top 10 – the criteria being used for the first GOP debate in August – and the six who get left off:

1 Jeb Bush 22%
2 Scott Walker 17%
3 Marco Rubio 14%
4 Ben Carson 11%
5 Mike Huckabee 9%
6 Rand Paul 7%
7 Rick Perry 5%
8 Ted Cruz 4%
9 Chris Christie 4%
10 Carly Fiorina 2%
11 Donald Trump 1%
12 Lindsey Graham 1%
13 John Kasich 1%
14 Bobby Jindal 0%
15 Rick Santorum 0%
16 George Pataki 0%

*** Who has upside among GOP voters? And who doesn’t? In addition to the GOP horserace question, our NBC/WSJ asked Republican primary voters this question: Could you see yourselves supporting this candidate or not? The responses are telling:

Rubio: 74% yes, 15% no (+59)
Bush: 75%-22% (+53)
Walker: 57%-19% (+38)
Huckabee: 65%-32% (+33)
Carson: 50%-21% (+29)
Perry: 53%-31% (+22)
Cruz: 51%-31% (+20)
Santorum: 49%-40% (+9)
Jindal: 36%-28% (+8)
Paul: 49%-45% (+4)
Fiorina: 31%-29% (+2)
Kasich: 25%-30% (-5)
Christie: 36%-55% (-19)
Graham: 27%-49% (-22)
Pataki: 13%-44% (-31)
Trump 32%-66% (-34)
Is this really a surprise? BTW, these polls are all over the place right now. Next week it will be Rubio or walker on top. As we get closer to the Aug debates we will have a better idea. I am not a Trump supporter by anymeans and I have no idea how well he will or will not do, but remember only the FOX debates right now are limiting the stage to the top candidates. We don't know what will happen with other debates. I hope they do limit the number or split them into 2 debates: the top tear and the bottom. BTW, you are also throwing names in there of people who haven't even declared.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's the standard defense for marginal candidates:
They attack Cain because they fear him.
They attack Gingrich because they fear him.
They attack Bachmann because they fear her.
They attack Santorum because they fear him.
They attack Trump because they fear him.
and they attacked a few others, keeping them from even entering the race last time. of course there is som truth to the left attacking candidates they do worry somewhat about (not all by anymeans) And yes, you are referring to only one poll. Every poll will show a different result.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,727,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is this really a surprise? BTW, these polls are all over the place right now. Next week it will be Rubio or walker on top. As we get closer to the Aug debates we will have a better idea. I am not a Trump supporter by anymeans and I have no idea how well he will or will not do, but remember only the FOX debates right now are limiting the stage to the top candidates. We don't know what will happen with other debates. I hope they do limit the number or split them into 2 debates: the top tear and the bottom. BTW, you are also throwing names in there of people who haven't even declared.
Polls can be all over the place or meaningless like the one in this link of the OP
Latest WSJ poll:

236 registered republican voters that plan on voting in the next primary. Wow that many!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,853,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ok, that is so far from the case, it's almost funny.

Her main accomplishment was engineering a merger with Compaq, just as consumer PCs became low-margin commodities. She bought that millstone with HP stock that was backed by HP's rock-solid reputation as a printer and instrumentation company. That watered down the stock's value, so I guess a bunch of portfolios got "right-sized", but that's hardly an accomplishment.

Fiorina's defense? "I made it a bigger company". Sure. But only by sacrificing stockholder value in the company she was paid to run. But she got a bigger train set to play with, so there is that.

Why Carly

Running a business badly, even less so. When the news of your firing make employees sing "Ding-dong, the witch is dead" and the stock price jump 7%, you were probably not very good at running a business seen from any perspective.
Let me guess you were one 30K laid off?
MERGERS happen everyday in business and this transaction was approved by the FTC.

Then it is safe to say will not vote for her.

Any rate with the GOP as big as it she will probably the first batch to drop out.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 AM

33,748 posts, read 16,742,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

I used to work at a F1000 where a few years ago, 2 consecutive wire stories reported

(1st) CEO has untreatable cancer
(2nd) It's stock is up $1.50 today

IMO, and I'd serious, having seen several awful decisions by him, anyone with early knowledge of his illness buying stock, should be in jail on insider trading charges.,

Old 06-25-2015, 07:04 AM

37,734 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That is hard to say, by my inner self tells me Bush would not, but with Rubio's Age he could easily take on that role as VP
Marco Rubio is not qualified to be President or next in line to be president. He has the same experience running something as Obama had in 2008: ZERO. He has the worst record in the Senate for showing up to vote. He just voted "yes" on the trade bill despite there being that secret immigration add-on which to me says his old immigration stance is what he really is about not what he's saying now to get elected. His office is currently refusing to say whether he actually went to the secret room to read the bill before he voted for it.

2016: Rubio, Graham Refuse to Answer Whether They Read Obamatrade Before Voting on It - Breitbart

"Of the lawmakers currently serving in the U.S. Senate, Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) is the least likely to show up for work. He’s been in office for four years, and of 1,198 opportunities to vote, he has declined to do so 99 times. That’s an absentee rate of 8.2 percent—four times the Senate average of 2.01 percent." 2/17/15

Marco Rubio Has The Worst Voting Record In The Senate

Old 06-25-2015, 07:14 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,258,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Marco Rubio is not qualified to be President or next in line to be president. He has the same experience running something as Obama had in 2008: ZERO. He has the worst record in the Senate for showing up to vote. He just voted "yes" on the trade bill despite there being that secret immigration add-on which to me says his old immigration stance is what he really is about not what he's saying now to get elected. His office is currently refusing to say whether he actually went to the secret room to read the bill before he voted for it.

2016: Rubio, Graham Refuse to Answer Whether They Read Obamatrade Before Voting on It - Breitbart

"Of the lawmakers currently serving in the U.S. Senate, Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) is the least likely to show up for work. He’s been in office for four years, and of 1,198 opportunities to vote, he has declined to do so 99 times. That’s an absentee rate of 8.2 percent—four times the Senate average of 2.01 percent." 2/17/15

Marco Rubio Has The Worst Voting Record In The Senate
Rubio is even worse - he ducked out on voting on tuesday to send the tpa to revote and yesterday to vote on the actual thing.

Him and Cruz are frauds.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Polls can be all over the place or meaningless like the one in this link of the OP
Latest WSJ poll:

236 registered republican voters that plan on voting in the next primary. Wow that many!
exactly: 236 registered voters means nothing. And the poll taken tomorrow might be just the opposite. Let us just continue to pull for and support the candidate that shares our individual beliefs the closest. As we get closer to the primaries and some candidates start dropping we will see a much clearer picure. Bush has name recognition and I am sure there are a lot of Republicans that would just love to see him go up against a Clinton, see him win and thumb their noses at the "other" side. Walker has become a sweetheart to many cause he is a conservative and stood up against the unions, which I respect. Rubio is the young guy, with charm, a family and a wonderful story to tell about success if you work hard for it. He also was very active in the state and now as a senator. Some of the others, will gain more respect and support as we enter the debate season. But right now it is way to early to put much into these polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections