Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Ron Paul points out that there are problems with government. I agree that things are not working out too good. However Ron Paul supports private education and this is one of the areas that I am looking at. I don’t believe a nation should have private education and eliminate public.
That's not true. Paul does not support the elimination of public education.

I do know that Paul supports a $3,000 federal tax credit, which could be used to help pay for private schooling.

Quote:
Yes there are problems with the government, but is it the government or the people IN the government that are the problems?
What is the difference? Since the government is made up of people, how do you figure that the government is seperate from the people in the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Its funny because you said "expect more corporations to be under contract?" which is exactly what we have now and what all other candidates WANT (except Ron Paul). The problem with corporations contracting with the government is that it is often full of bribery and corruption and the taxpayers are left holding the bag. Ron Paul it seems is the only one fighting against the corruption to prevent government and corporations from teaming up against taxpayers. Taxpayers get the final word because we hold the money. If a corporation does maintenance and charges a too large a toll for a road. We don't drive through it, and they will suffer. We hold the power. As of right now, we pay the government who pays a private corporation to maintain the road and they charge insane prices but we have to accept it. We don't have power then, they do. Ron Paul is trying to prevent collusion between government and big business. Can you understand why big business doesn't give him any money and gives all the other candidates LOADS of cash. Its to protect their own self-interests.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
link to post #15
http://www.city-data.com/forum/2599509-post15.html

Who will pay for the poor family if local public schools are not provided?
Since Ron Paul isn't advocating the closure of local public schools, what difference does it make?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
For example, I believe over $16000 is spent on each student in the DC district,and yet only 12% of 8th graders in the District's public schools scored at grade-level proficiency or better in reading....

And interestingly enough a very good private school in the area costs less than $11000....and almost all of their graduates go on to college.

It would seem the rational thing to do would be to send all the children to private schools and save some money AND provide a better education.
You're making a few flawed assumptions here.

I'd bet my left thumb that the DC kids that go to private schools come from wealthier and more educated families than the kids who go to public schools. That's how it has been in every place I've ever lived, and I went to a great, inexpensive private school in SC.

IMO, The relationship between education spending and educational achievement is a very weak one.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

I'd bet my left thumb that the DC kids that go to private schools come from wealthier and more educated families than the kids who go to public schools. That's how it has been in every place I've ever lived, and I went to a great, inexpensive private school in SC.

IMO, The relationship between education spending and educational achievement is a very weak one.
That is generally the consensus that educational funding does not mean higher achievement. I believe there is a multitude of reasons and most important being taught at "home". If you preach laziness, lieing, stealing, apathy, etc., chances are you are not going to be a good student.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

Money And School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment

Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

I agree with Republicans that cutting government spending and shrinking the overall of our government bureaucracy is a good thing. The cost of all the government overhead becomes so costly as to render portions of it totally ineffective. Not that it was a bad idea but the cost of doing many of these programs and departments ruins any hope they have of success.
For the last 7 years we’ve had a republican administration in office and I haven’t seen smaller government or lower spending. If another republican gets into office what will change?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
For the last 7 years we’ve had a republican administration in office and I haven’t seen smaller government or lower spending. If another republican gets into office what will change?
You ain't seen nothing yet if a Democrat gets into office.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
As EVERY Democratic candidate supports bigger gov't,what will change if you vote for THEM?

Also to consider Bush a traditional Republican is a little shortsighted,the man is anything but conservative.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Another example of less government is Katrina. Homeland security and Bush seemed to look anywhere but where the problem was. With Ron Paul and less government would things have been any different in the gulf states area? They’re still working at trying to get their lives back to normal there. And yes ,,,, I remember where George was ~ he talked about SSA being reorganized while visiting in Arizona then in San Diego he was playing his guitar while the water level rose in New Orleans.

This is part of the government problem with contractors getting paid and nothing gets done. Less government, more contractors, more criminals both inside and outside of the government. Agencies that are failures because of the men in charge of them. Corporate leaders CEOs making millions while taxpayers are raped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections