Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,657,266 times

Advertisements

As a Democrat, McCain is probably the least objectionable among all the Republican candidates to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
McCain is the front runner and this is not disputed by anybody. Even his enemies like Sean Hannity and Limbaugh are starting to conceed that he will likely be the Republican nominee. He will probably win Florida and sweep Super Tuesday and it will be over.
It's disputed completely by the delegate count based on primary/caucus wins. Romney is ahead of McCain.

Romney
McCain
Huckabee
Thompson
Paul
Giuliani
Hunter

Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,741,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
That is just hogwash. Total fabrication. McCain is to the left of the extreme Republicans, yes, but he is far to the right of the Democrats like Obama and even Hillary. He is from my state (AZ) and I have watched him for years. MUCH more reasonable than anyone left out there.
You should get to know your Senator more often.. here is just a glimpse of his democratic tendencies from a PRO-McCain supporter....

"There is an alternative, but it isn't one that most people have considered. In fact, the best Democrat may be someone who's no Democrat at all: Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). As a war hero who's hawkish on foreign policy, he more than matches Bush on the military front. As a reform-minded foe of corporate welfare, Big Tobacco, and the Republican right, he is peerless. McCain is Bush's most vociferous critic, voted against the president's tax cut, forced his hand on campaign finance reform, and federalized airport security in the face of White House opposition. He has co-sponsored numerous bills with Democrats--many of them in the presidential-aspirant class--requiring background checks at gun shows (Lieberman), a patients' bill of rights (Edwards), better fuel-efficiency standards in cars and SUVs (Kerry), and expanded national service programs (Bayh). He is even drafting a bill with Lieberman to reduce greenhouse gasses and mitigate global warming. As Ronald Brownstein remarked recently in the Los Angeles Times, "[McCain] has become the most hyphenated name in Washington." Given the near hopelessness with which most Democrats view their 2004 prospects, it's pretty easy, if you're a Democrat, to make the case that McCain should switch parties outright to pursue the Democratic nomination. The difficult part is imagining McCain making the switch. He is, after all, a lifelong Republican. It's not clear that he wants to run for president again. And it's assumed that if he does, it will be as a Republican or, more likely, as an independent. McCain has said that he won't leave his party sufficiently often that one feels compelled to take him at his word. But his rationale--that he's a Teddy Roosevelt Republican--has remained fixed, even while he's gravitated toward moderate Democratic beliefs. His protestations are beginning to ring hollow. He is keenly aware that the GOP is no longer the party of Roosevelt. That an unfailingly pro-business president embodies the party's moderate wing only underscores the GOP's drift to the right; there is no room in its ranks for a maverick like McCain. At the same time, McCain has made a dramatic shift leftward. As his vote against the Bush tax cut showed, he is no longer in any meaningful sense a contemporary Republican. It's time he recognized this and that Democrats exploited it. Because if McCain truly desires to be president, his best chance of winning may be to run as a Democrat.
Animosity to Curiosity
John McCain's alienation from the Republican Party and disdain--happily reciprocated--for President Bush has been well documented. Observers caught a rare public glimpse of this recently when Bush grudgingly signed the campaign finance reform bill without a ceremony or even a courtesy phone call to McCain. (The White House mailed him a pen from the bill signing.) As practically the Democrats' only legislative collaborator, McCain has less and less in common with his Republican colleagues. He counts few friends among the caucus. He hasn't attended the party's policy retreat in years. And he's generally loathed by conservatives. If he sees fit to run as a Democrat, and really wants to stick it to Bush, there's little to make him stay put."

"The Big Switch" by Joshua Green

McCain IS a democrat... whether you want to accept it or not is your choice.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM

102 posts, read 145,268 times
National polls at this point are not in play yet. Romney is still relatively unknown. His polls continue to rise because of the enthusiasm he generates on the campaign trail. He is the hardest working candidate. Crowds in Florida are growing larger and larger.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM

522 posts, read 959,794 times
McCain voted for NAFTA folks, shipping our jobs out of the country.

The ramifications of this have only just begun.

I refuse to support or endorse a candidate that has supported that.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,657,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
McCain voted for NAFTA folks, shipping our jobs out of the country.

The ramifications of this have only just begun.

I refuse to support or endorse a candidate that has supported that.
All the Republicans voted for that and it was pushed by Bill Clinton

Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,658,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont get it either. Makes no sense other than the Media trying to decide for us. I am looking more at super Tuesday to see who the front runner is. I cannot believe people vote for this man.

The media would love to see a McCain nomination. I think many in the media would actually marry him if they could.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,694,253 times
Quote:
All the Republicans voted for that and it was pushed by Bill Clinton
All? Here's the roll call:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/1993/roll575.xml

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
McCain is the front runner and this is not disputed by anybody. Even his enemies like Sean Hannity and Limbaugh are starting to conceed that he will likely be the Republican nominee. He will probably win Florida and sweep Super Tuesday and it will be over.
Sorry, McKennedy is NOT the front runner and is close to being third.
You are a lib and I can see why you and other libs want him to be your choice on the rep ticket, why? Because if your dem candidate dont win you still get a lib president in McCain.

I am sorry, but the more info put out about McCain people will start listening.
He is not what I want as a President in my party. I will not vote for him if he does get the nomination.

Sure the lib media loves him because the reason stated above.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
By "hang together" I did not mean group-think or vote the same. I respect your rights to vote as your please, of course!

By "hang together" I meant cooperate and compromise when necessary. That is what makes democracy in a republic work. The two parties have gotten so extreme that they hardly talk any more without throwing darts and daggers. That is not compromise. That is not hanging together. That is hanging separately.

Lieberman has been crucified and dumped by the Dems for actually compromising with Republicans. McCain is feeling the same heat from Republicans for compromising and working with the Dems. It is sick, sad, and scary to see the polarization taking place.

If we do not work together, nothing will work. That better?

Yes, I understand. I just do not want to lean to much to the middle/left and he would be the one to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections