Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Republicans are in a bad position right now; the Electoral College makes it impossible for them to win a presidential election. Demographics is destiny, and it is only a matter of time before the GOP becomes extinct.
Another liberal living in la la land.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
You're placing the emphasis on turnout when demographic change is a much bigger factor. Demographic change affects the universe of registered voters. When the percentage that minorities and college grads comprise of registered voters continues to climb, turnout is less of a factor because even if the percentage of voters voting remains flat or even falls, both the total of raw votes they provide and the percent of persons voting from those groups will probably still rise as a percentage of total votes cast. Increased turnout can boost their vote, but their increased share of registered voters means they won't fall that much.

At the other extreme are non-college white voters. They're falling at a rate of 3% to 4% with every election as a percentage of voters and their percentage of votes cast for Republicans has to continually increase with each passing election just to not lose ground, due to their reduced numbers. You reach the point quickly where the percentage of votes needed to make up for lesser numbers of voters within that group becomes impossible to sustain.

Eventually the GOP will have to pivot to white college grads and adjust their platform accordingly, because other than minorities that's where all the growth is.
Theres an easy answer for that. Who was there to vote for on the GOP side for non college these whites to be excited about? McCain was an old man out of touch with anyone younger than the WWII generation and Romney? lol. Please. Lets see what happens when there is actually a quality GOP candidate to vote for. No matter how hip Hillary appears to be or how she pretends to care about issues important to the Latino community, getting young Latinos excited enough to actually show up and vote for her is highly unlikely. Bernie Sanders? Zero chance lol. The GOP actually have several candidates of Latino descent with immigrant parents, Democrats have nothing but whiter than white candidates. Who will win the Latino vote again? 2016 will go the GOP way.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, according to you, the Hispanic voting bloc is a monolith that all want amnesty and open borders. Way to stereotype an entire group of people! Not all Hispanics want amnesty and open borders. Nor do they all march in lockstep with La Raza. You don't speak for me!
I didn't say that at all, and in fact I have said several times on c-d (but maybe not in this thread) that I know hispanics don't vote as a monolithic bloc, anymore than blacks, whites, or asians do.

This discussion is in the context of replying to a poster who said that the hispanic demographic was insignificant. I pointed out that in fact, in california, hispanics now officially outnumber whites. That's it. I can't stop you reading more into what I say than I do, though.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Republicans are in a bad position right now; the Electoral College makes it impossible for them to win a presidential election. Demographics is destiny, and it is only a matter of time before the GOP becomes extinct.
As an organization, the GOP is a survivor, and they will change. Just not soon enough to win the presidency in 2016.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Theres an easy answer for that. Who was there to vote for on the GOP side for non college these whites to be excited about? McCain was an old man out of touch with anyone younger than the WWII generation and Romney? lol. Please. Lets see what happens when there is actually a quality GOP candidate to vote for. No matter how hip Hillary appears to be or how she pretends to care about issues important to the Latino community, getting young Latinos excited enough to actually show up and vote for her is highly unlikely. Bernie Sanders? Zero chance lol. The GOP actually have several candidates of Latino descent with immigrant parents, Democrats have nothing but whiter than white candidates. Who will win the Latino vote again? 2016 will go the GOP way.
The percentage of total votes cast by non-college whites has dropped from 65% in 1980 to 36% in 2012 and is projected to fall to 33% in 2016. It's not that non-college whites aren't showing up because they are not excited. It's because they're dying at a faster rate than they are being replaced with young non-college whites. It wouldn't matter if college whites voted like non-college whites, but they vote Republican at a significantly lower rate than non-college and have for a very long time.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, according to you, the Hispanic voting bloc is a monolith that all want amnesty and open borders. Way to stereotype an entire group of people! Not all Hispanics want amnesty and open borders. Nor do they all march in lockstep with La Raza. You don't speak for me!

Oh my friend you so right yet again! We have very good Mexican friends, for the sake of this post, saying so you know. They are legal American Citizens from Mexico, who came her legally, waited their turn, and learned the English language, better then some Americans I know.

They infact went to Los Angeles today, because Trump was there. They are there to support his measures because they are proud to be an American, have pride in being American. And are gosh damn tired of people from their home land taking advantage of a great Country.

They are not the only Hispanic people we know who support Trump's way of thinking. And in fact you ought to hear them, talking about how easy it is for criminals from their Country to come to the US. They are embarrassed by illegals, and were downtown LA today to support Trump., SURE maybe he could have more finesse . But sure are a lot of politicians who don't think before they speak, I can think of one clearly right now, and the one I am thinking about throws the BS so often!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh my friend you so right yet again! We have very good Mexican friends, for the sake of this post, saying so you know. They are legal American Citizens from Mexico, who came her legally, waited their turn, and learned the English language, better then some Americans I know.

They infact went to Los Angeles today, because Trump was there. They are there to support his measures because they are proud to be an American, have pride in being American. And are gosh damn tired of people from their home land taking advantage of a great Country.

They are not the only Hispanic people we know who support Trump's way of thinking. And in fact you ought to hear them, talking about how easy it is for criminals from their Country to come to the US. They are embarrassed by illegals, and were downtown LA today to support Trump., SURE maybe he could have more finesse . But sure are a lot of politicians who don't think before they speak, I can think of one clearly right now, and the one I am thinking about throws the BS so often!
Thank you! I couldn't rep you again but---great post!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
The most important thing to the Latino community is illegal immigration. Neither party should be pandering to them by thumbing their noses at our immigration laws for them. There are 320 million people in this country but we should pander to only 50 million especially when it means the above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections