Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times

Advertisements

Sunday August 9th's Portland appearance has exceeded the 13,000
R.S.V.P.'s and has been moved to a venue for 20,000.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
it may not happen this time- we may well end up with First Gentleman Bill Clinton.

But Bernie Sanders- him being a social democrat- is your FUTURE. It's gonna happen and it's long overdue. So get used to it rich kids... pitchforks are coming!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
sanders said,

The United States must lead the world in reversing climate change and make certain that this planet is habitable for our children and grandchildren. We must transform our energy system away from fossil fuels and into energy efficiency and sustainable energies.... and we need to greatly accelerate the progress we are already seeing in wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and other forms of sustainable energy.

yeah, that is a good priority.
That's not his only priority.

Agenda for America: 12 Steps Forward

Rebuilding Our Crumbling Infrastructure
Reversing Climate Change
Creating Worker Co-ops
Growing the Trade Union Movement
Raising the Minimum Wage
Pay Equity for Women Workers
Trade Policies that Benefit American Workers
Making College Affordable for All
Taking on Wall Street
Health Care as a Right for All
Protecting the Most Vulnerable Americans
Real Tax Reform

Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
That's not his only priority.

Agenda for America: 12 Steps Forward

Rebuilding Our Crumbling Infrastructure
Reversing Climate Change
Creating Worker Co-ops
Growing the Trade Union Movement
Raising the Minimum Wage
Pay Equity for Women Workers
Trade Policies that Benefit American Workers
Making College Affordable for All
Taking on Wall Street
Health Care as a Right for All
Protecting the Most Vulnerable Americans
Real Tax Reform
That's right. Bernie Sanders is for us. When the billionaire club
starts paying their fair share we can afford these things.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 AM

162 posts, read 348,874 times
Not sure I can fully get behind his ideas. I prefer more libertarian principles but he does have good points.

One thing that concerns me is this: You can pass legislation for a minimum wage, but who says the employer will give you the hours to see any benefit from that? I'd argue that it would lower wages in the U.S. I make 13.40 an hour and work full time. State minimum wage is 9.47 so I make ~$4 over minimum. I would have to be boosted to $19 an hour, which sounds awesome on paper, but with how my employer operates, that would be a huge blow to financial operation.

I understand the need for a wage that can put a roof over your head, etc., but I'm not sure about 15 an hour. I've lived on 10 an hour, and it is viable in my area. I don't live in a major city though. But yeah, maybe 7.25 is too low. Again, I live in a state that raises minimum wage every year according to cost of living, and to my knowledge WA unemployment remains relatively stable.

You can force employers to pay you more, but you can't stop them from raising prices. Shareholders are still going to want a profit, and higher taxes on them will force them to push for more profit. I mean, if companies are going overseas for cheaper labor...would it not make more sense to make it cheaper to operate here? Not saying to lower minimum wage, but to allow businesses the ability to make good profit and incentives to pay higher wages.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:14 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrude1 View Post
Not sure I can fully get behind his ideas. I prefer more libertarian principles but he does have good points.

One thing that concerns me is this: You can pass legislation for a minimum wage, but who says the employer will give you the hours to see any benefit from that? I'd argue that it would lower wages in the U.S. I make 13.40 an hour and work full time. State minimum wage is 9.47 so I make ~$4 over minimum. I would have to be boosted to $19 an hour, which sounds awesome on paper, but with how my employer operates, that would be a huge blow to financial operation.

I understand the need for a wage that can put a roof over your head, etc., but I'm not sure about 15 an hour. I've lived on 10 an hour, and it is viable in my area. I don't live in a major city though. But yeah, maybe 7.25 is too low. Again, I live in a state that raises minimum wage every year according to cost of living, and to my knowledge WA unemployment remains relatively stable.

You can force employers to pay you more, but you can't stop them from raising prices. Shareholders are still going to want a profit, and higher taxes on them will force them to push for more profit. I mean, if companies are going overseas for cheaper labor...would it not make more sense to make it cheaper to operate here? Not saying to lower minimum wage, but to allow businesses the ability to make good profit and incentives to pay higher wages.
Hello, skrude1, and thank you for the response and interest in Bernie Sanders.

IMO, a civilized and developed society should not try to gain jobs by weakening worker's rights and lower pay and benefits it has taken decades to fight for. A civilized society should IMO invest in it's people by striving to give everyone the best education and health care they can get. A well educated, well rested and healthy workforce is a motivated and productive workforce that can easily compete with anyone in the world. That's why IMO we need to see tuition-free public higher education and a single-payer universal health care system.

In the late 1960s, the minimum wage was $11 on an inflation-adjusted basis. Fast forward 50 years through an explosion of technology and worker productivity and we should have had a minimum wage today far in excess of the current one. This a result of man-made policies IMO, starting in the mid-1970s onwards. Weakening of unions, lower taxes for the wealthiest, deregulation of Wall Street are some of the most important political decisions that have caused this decline of the wages for the average worker. A corporate culture that emphasize fear and authoritarian leadership will never get the best out of their workers. Workers want to feel valued, part of a community and being highly invested in the work that they do. Being paid decently is an important step forward as it reduces worker turnover and improves worker morale.

We all have our opinions skrude1, and I respect your opinion if you feel differently than me about these things.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Is he actually going to say anything this time or just look like a timid old fool standing in the corner listening to the usual crap from black lives matter morons?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Is he actually going to say anything this time or just look like a timid old fool standing in the corner listening to the usual crap from black lives matter morons?
It's really quite possible that disruptions (there have been a handful) specifically aimed
at Bernie Sanders by a small group of BLM activists is a political hit job orchestrated
by the Clinton campaign.
Bernie Sanders Shut Down By Black Lives Matter Protesters In Seattle

Old 08-09-2015, 12:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
It's amazing that Bernie is getting the largest crowds out of all of the Presidential Candidates and the media is just focused on Trump and his insane comments.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:29 PM

549 posts, read 625,344 times
Bernie should Youtube "Reagan hecklers", "Obama hecklers", or "Clinton hecklers" to see how skilled leaders handle disruptions at their events.

Sanders has been trolled 3 times so far by black lives matter protesters at his rallies, and all three times he has failed to take command of the situation, and just slinks off. Is that someone who should be president and Commander in Chief?

So far I'm not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections