Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 02:42 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times

Advertisements

Here is Trump saying this, and I don't see a problem with it.

GOP candidate Trump goes after Sen. John McCain's war record#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Stupid move by Trump, I actually agreed with a lot of what he said up until this. Even if he meant to say McCain doesn't do enough to help veterans, you don't say he's not a war hero. Someone really needs to help him word things the right way. Will be interesting to see what the next polls look like.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:45 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Trump reminds me of several people I knew back in the 60's who had wealthy well connected daddies that made it possible to avoid service. I was just another draft age male from a lower middle class background. My Dad was a machinist and Mom a clerk. I couldn't have avoided service even if I wanted to.

These privileged few stayed home went to college or got officer's commissions in the National Guard. Never left the states and had their degrees and work experience established even before a lot of us returned to civilian life.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Stupid move by Trump, I actually agreed with a lot of what he said up until this. Even if he meant to say McCain doesn't do enough to help veterans, you don't say he's not a war hero. Someone really needs to help him word things the right way. Will be interesting to see what the next polls look like.
Being a POW doesnt automatically make one a war hero, so technically it might be correct.

There just isnt anything to gain by not calling him a war hero so he shouldnt have said it.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Nobody likes McCain.

Trump's on point again!!
It's not about liking McCain. It's about having respect for those who've served our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The OP completely distorted what he actually said if your quote is correct. Thread fail.
I didn't distort anything. If you had clicked the link and read the article you'd know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, someone who used their student status to not be drafted is not a draft dodger, I can't believe anyone would think that way. I do think, after college a persone can enlist which Trump obviously choose not to do.

I think we all need to step back and really see what Trump actually said, I think the OP is claiming something that is not really 100% accurate. BTW, I can't stand Trump, but I don't like accusations that are only partly true or taken out of context.
Again, try reading the article I linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What did McCain do that was so great other than be captured?

But he did abandon his first wife who was grievously injured in a horrible traffic accident while waiting for his release.

McCaine is no hero.
Would you like to sign up to be held as a POW for years? I mean it sounds like it's no big deal to you, so why not try it yourself.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, someone who used their student status to not be drafted is not a draft dodger, I can't believe anyone would think that way. I do think, after college a persone can enlist which Trump obviously choose not to do.

I think we all need to step back and really see what Trump actually said, I think the OP is claiming something that is not really 100% accurate. BTW, I can't stand Trump, but I don't like accusations that are only partly true or taken out of context.
Nevertheless - the perception and the reception are pretty darned important.

If you gotta explain, you've lost the argument.

I don't really see how Trump is going to get out of this one.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Guys, we're not even a month into your boyfriend's campaign. He is going to say far, far stupider and offensive things. Y'all need need to stand by your man.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
he was a POW, I'd debate if he was a war hero, the two arent really the same.
Feel free to read again - and this time, comprehend - what I actually wrote.

Quote:
Though I did not vote for John McCain in 2008 - aside from the fact that I disagree with his policies, I consider that his temperment makes him unfit to serve as President - I do think he was a war hero. His rejection of early release, meant as propaganda because McCain was the son of an admiral, earns him that title.

And I do not hold his 'confession' under duress against him one bit. Every man has his breaking point.
Also, feel free to point out the part of my post which you somehow managed to mistake for me claiming that he was a war hero because he was a POW.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Now, I'm going to elaborate a bit for the sake of those who cannot comprehend the concept of what constitutes heroism.

A hero makes a choice. A hero puts himself in danger when he does not have to do so. A hero makes great sacrifice for others, when he does not have to do so. In the case of John McCain, he made the choice to remain a POW when he did not have to do so. He denied the enemy a propaganda victory, and he stayed and provided the critical nurturing support that all POWs found so vital in captivity. In so doing, he extended his pain and suffering by years.

That is heroic. And that is what makes John McCain a hero.

Hopefully, you're no longer as confused as you were when you tried in vain to understand my previous post, despite the fact that is was simple and straightforward.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:51 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Oh hi. Don't mind me, I'll just get the popcorn. Carry on...

Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Here's an actual clip if the video where Trump Says what my original post and article reported.

Donald Trump goes after Senator John McCain's war record| Latest News Videos | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections