Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times

Advertisements

For some strange reason, Donald Trump reminds me of Chauncey (Peter Sellers) in the movie Being There. I do believe what you see and hear is who he really is. Some people find him refreshing, I think. I don't even think Donald Trump cares to be a politician and he doesn't try to appease or play to his party; in fact, he's the Republican party's worst nightmare, I hear. Who would have thought he would be leading in the polls and his closest contender has almost half the points he has (Trump 24, and Jeb Bush 12 in one poll on CNN, I think). He will make the election very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 04:32 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
I think he will bow out. It's not really his game; he was just having fun playing in it.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:39 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
"Good politician" is an oxymoron.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:50 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I don't think he's a good politician because he can't quite grasp working as part of a team, admitting when he's wrong, or how to maintain statesman-like grace and diplomacy under pressure.

I think he's a terrific showman, and that will help both sides if they watch closely enough and follow his example (partially)! then tone it down and tailor it to their own personalities. In that sense, he's an excellent teacher, and I think all the candidates would do well to learn from his style and modify it to be more proactive instead of reactive.

I believe most people just want to know the truth, even if it's not good news or what they want to hear. They don't trust tired, boiler-plate political lingo, tip-toeing around issues, not giving straight answers to questions, and fake smiles. People sense inauthenticity and won't vote for it.
I agree.
I hope Trump teaches the republicans that if they stop being such ******* and get the backbone and courage to actually stand up to the deeply biased liberal media, speak the truth, and show actual leadership, Americans will enthusiastically rally behind them. (Even if they have perpetually bad hair)

Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Is Trump a good politician?

According to the Republican "base" he's the best the GOP has currently.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What i find odd is 6 years of righties hating on Dems and Obama then along comes the super rightie Trump who is a birther,and hates all the right rightie points, yet the right hate the guy.I'm not understanding the hate for Trump from the repubs, heres your one and only hope to beat Hillary and you want to distance yourself from the guy, You righties better get on the Trump bandwagon because if you dont and he ends up going independent it then becomes a given for Hillary or Bernie to become the next President.
The GOP Machine can't control him. He's not beholden to them for money (that puts the power brokers in a vegetative state). He doesn't have to "go back" to a job where he would be beholden to them, either, if he should lose. Hillary Clinton makes reporters run after her van for a tidbit of info. Other robot candidates "stay on message" making the same old promises they never keep which is a snooze for everyone. Trump just opens up and roars.

Trump may not be a good politician in the "kiss the babies, tell them what they want to hear" formulaic sense but he is a shrewd one. Everyone is trying to move up in the polls and he manages to do it without spending a dime on advertising.

But, he's going to have to have a debate coach. He probably hasn't been in a debate since college. This in not so much telling him what to say but how to say it, doing it in the time allotted and how to move on the stage (eyes, hands, expressions, etc.). Except for Carson, the others will have a big advantage here.

Last edited by LauraC; 07-25-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It seems to me he sees politics like a video game, and might be learning to play that game to win. If he acts as Republican as the average Republican, he's more likely to win the nomination, because the other Republicans have their own points of view, and don't act so Republican. Then, to win the race, he can act more liberal than the Democrat. Republicans will vote for him because they always vote Republican, and Democrats will vote for him because they always vote liberal.

But what's he going to do when he's president? Will the show be over?

Hell no, he isn't a good politician. He doesn't play along to get along. He isn't a paid off politician,to be good or bad. He is a private citizen, barking loud, with loaded pockets to pay for it, when the media hype finally dies down and he isn't getting free publicity. Trump has not spent a dime on his campaign. The media has been funding his campaign.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
...But what's he going to do when he's president? Will the show be over?
Not a chance!

He is white conservative Americans' Robert Mugabe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections