Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,781,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, especially when they're so poor at managing it.

I mean, I KNOW y'all right-wingers honestly believe that we'll all magically be better off if we just redistribute even MORE money to the billionaires. I know this is an honest belief because I've BEEN a right-winger.

But the reality is that you're squandering investment in your country's future (education, infrastructure, retirement, etc) in favor of short-term gains for a few cynical billionaires who OWN the GOP and literally tell you what to think.

I won't let you continue down this path of hateful self-destruction. And I really don't CARE whether you agree or not. Like all conservatives, you'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the future... and then you'll try and take credit once you get there.
Maybe you would prefer the regressive tax structure of Europe?

We spend more on education than other countries already.
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

You are more worried about punishing success than figuring out why so many are failing. Money is not the reason for our failing educational system. It is easier to blame faceless billions who you deem are "not laying their fair share" even while they are carrying the tax load of this nation. Populist rhetoric will always just be populist rhetoric.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,748,678 times
Oh by the way, you're welcome for the public education you've received. The subsidized college you attended. The safe food you eat, the roads you drive on, the internet you post nonsense on, the retirement and medical benefits you'll receive, the inept police 'protection', the subsidized (by blood) cheap oil, the stable currency, the massive infrastructure, the nuclear safety-net, the satellites orbiting our planet..

I know you're ungrateful and would rather give your money to Charles Koch so long as he promises to protect you from them eeeeeeeebil blacks/gays/moslums/soshalists. But just the same...

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Oh by the way, you're welcome for the public education you've received. The subsidized college you attended. The safe food you eat, the roads you drive on, the internet you post nonsense on, the retirement and medical benefits you'll receive, the inept police 'protection', the subsidized (by blood) cheap oil, the stable currency, the massive infrastructure, the nuclear safety-net, the satellites orbiting our planet..

I know you're ungrateful and would rather give your money to Charles Koch so long as he promises to protect you from them eeeeeeeebil blacks/gays/moslums/soshalists. But just the same...

YOU'RE WELCOME.
I was not aware you provided all those things for me.

You sure like to label others, it is unfortunate to be so simplistic.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I was not aware you provided all those things for me.

You sure like to label others, it is unfortunate to be so simplistic.
I did, and I don't begrudge you for it.

You should try loving your fellow man rather than hating him. It's a lot easier

Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I did, and I don't begrudge you for it.

You should try loving your fellow man rather than hating him. It's a lot easier
I love my fellow man, I love them so much to think they are capable of making decisions for themselves without telling them how to live their lives and make them become dependent on the feeder bar that is ongoing government social programs.

I'm just wondering, did your talking points come with off base stereotypes or did you add those on your own?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:22 PM

33,817 posts, read 16,831,085 times
Quote:

A few people make a good living at blue-collar work (mostly at union jobs or in heavily regulated industries where you can only hire on if you're the boss's brother-in-law). But by and large this country has no respect for blue-collar workers. And that's a direct result of .
supply vs demand

Old 08-17-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I love my fellow man, I love them so much to think they are capable of making decisions for themselves without telling them how to live their lives and make them become dependent on the feeder bar that is ongoing government social programs.

I'm just wondering, did your talking points come with off base stereotypes or did you add those on your own?
Actually you know that many are NOT capable. And you don't care. You'd rather those resources go to the billionaires.

They have money, therefore they must be virtuous. And they are virtuous, therefore they've been blessed with holy money. It's basically the American version of the Divine Right of Kings.

So yes, you love your fellow man. So long as he's a billionaire. But don't worry, I won't let ya'll screw up my country too bad. Playtime's over... the grownups have arrived

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM

33,817 posts, read 16,831,085 times
Quote:

Old 08-17-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Actually you know that many are NOT capable. And you don't care. You'd rather those resources go to the billionaires.

They have money, therefore they must be virtuous. And they are virtuous, therefore they've been blessed with holy money. It's basically the American version of the Divine Right of Kings.

So yes, you love your fellow man. So long as he's a billionaire. But don't worry, I won't let ya'll screw up my country too bad. Playtime's over... the grownups have arrived
Yawn.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,208,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Obama threw out this idea last year and promoted free community college. Knowing that it had no chance, that is.

As the election season is heating up and with his national popularity growing, Bernie Sanders has also been busy touting the free college rhetoric for all 4-year universities. Seems like this idea has been taking off in recent years especially with student loan debt ranking just behind credit card debt.

Do you support the left's idea of free college tuition? Good or bad for America?
No. Same with Pell and any other grants. Grow up America. Want to go to College? Earn the money or BORROW it and let those that lend, have pursuit clauses in perpetuity. Take a loan, pay it back. The American way. Giving it to some and not others is insane.

Besides, there are way too many colleges today churning out arts grads who have an excellent shot at Starbucks...as in the counter, and that's about it.....French and Italian literature is fine an all until you have to change the oil in that POS Chevy the last customer just drove in.....

Probably should go more along the way of the Germans. More tech schools, less arts. Invest in engineering, mechanical, computers, typing, Spanish, Mandarin AND Cantonese, math, sciences...repeat, more sciences....

Drop, French (WTF? who the heck needs THAT anymore???), Latin (save for legal), Russian (Really???), Arts in almost any form except for those that wear "comfortable shoes"....give them skills that are worth a Shiite....the rest is a waste of their time and parents money.....make the school count....more Rensselaer, less Amherst....screw Hamlet and Shakespeare, read that babble on your own time....for now, learn how to do linear equations or a new bit of code....something we might ALL be grateful for later....

Arts is a hobby, the rest is a skill.....focus accordingly.....let's turn out the best in tech the world has to offer and with that, we have a LOT of catching up to do...that way, we can turn down every Chinese, Paki, Egyptian and Hindu transfer and give some kid from Nebraska a fighting chance OUT of the corn field???

How about forcing every kid in 4th grade to learn Microsoft Office. The entire suite over a year....right up there with typing...something they can USE the rest of their lives....teach them all the basics of IP, the basics in law, the basics in business....get them all wearing eyeglasses by the 6th grade.....we'll fix the eyeballs later.....

More time on Metal and Wood shop (remember those????), CAD/CAM, Engineering concepts, even a slide rule or two just because....hey, it got us to the moon (and then someone lost the drawings to the Saturn V)? Certainly, we can focus on teaching GM, Ford, and Chrysler how to build a better car? Worked for the Japs (and the Chinese, and Koreans, and the Malaysians....oddly, didn't work for India...go figure). See? Progress......

Teach the middle school how to build a solar car. Have races.....teach the HS crowd how to build a glider and perhaps a single engine ultralight and get some unlucky soul, or two to fly em'. Sure, there will be casualties but, there have always been casualties in the advancement of industrialization...why should this generation miss out?

Lose a dozen or so and I promise you, they'll get the next model right.....by the time they graduate college Boeing will either eliminate Airbus or have them running scared? Learn metallurgy, make us a better electrical component, a better toaster, whatever.....but, this Shakespeare in the park has got to stop or at least, be relegated to the weekends....treat it like we use to treat the Audio Visual club in High School...there's a REASON we let them hang out in that odd closet way back when....

Build a better, faster, cheaper PC. Let them keep the profits.....We have way better ways to invest in their futures than creating a more rounded barista at Starbucks? Besides, all the customer wants there is a good cup of coffee and will spend a few minutes getting it. Build a better Operating System and we might change our lives.

Just sayin'......

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 08-17-2015 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections