Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you support for the Republican nominee?
Jeb Bush 6 5.36%
Ben Carson 5 4.46%
Chris Christie 4 3.57%
Ted Cruz 6 5.36%
Carly Fiorina 2 1.79%
Lindsey Graham 0 0%
Mike Huckabee 1 0.89%
Bobby Jindal 0 0%
John Kasich 3 2.68%
George Pataki 1 0.89%
Rand Paul 18 16.07%
Rick Perry 0 0%
Marco Rubio 6 5.36%
Rick Santorum 1 0.89%
Donald Trump 46 41.07%
Scott Walker 13 11.61%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,955,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
An IQ of 162 places one in the top .01 percent of intelligence. What are the odds that two CDers would have IQs that high? Of course, there are plenty of online tests that morons can take and score above 160, but anyways.

I agree that after Trump fades, a real conservative contender will emerge. I don't think it will be Santorum or Huckabee. Both finished poorly in other primaries. Also, Huckabee isn't well liked outside of the Christian community because he raised taxes in Arkansas. My prediction is that Scott Walker will be the primary conservative challenger to Bush.
Walker could be one of the main contenders, I don't doubt that. Have a feeling though this time around will just be a learning experience for him. I could see him as potentially becoming President at some point down the road. He might be a smart option for VP consideration.

Bush is someone I have a hard time believing can win the general election. The early talk was that he was attracting campaign contributions, not sure how it's working out now. If Republicans give him the nomination I have to believe it opens the door wide open for the Democrat he faces off against. A third Bush? Even if I thought he had mainstream appeal, which I don't, he'd have a hard time winning.

Carson, even though I gave him the nod in this poll I don't see as having much of a chance. Not sure about cable since I don't have it, but on the big three networks he hasn't received much airtime outside of the initial coverage after he announced. He'll need to get the word out on exactly how he'd want to handle Social Security especially, considering comments before he ran have older Americans concerned.

Huckabee, and I hate to say this because he was in my top two or three candidates in 2008, has very little chance. He doesn't have the same appeal I think he had before. He ran on a populist campaign platform, but after people have had an opportunity to listen to him for a few years on tv, it's obvious some of what he ran on was not what be believed. To me he comes across as a bit of a used car salesman saying what he has to to make a sale. Sad considering he's a former minister.

Only reason I mentioned Santorum is the day he announced I got a certain vibe from him that maybe the job wouldn't be too big for him the way I feel it has been for Tom & Jerry, I mean W. and Barry. I've always believed the best candidates are at their best when they aren't too young and wet behind the ears, nor old enough that they are too far removed from when they got their start in life. Sometimes older politicians make decisions that are detrimental to the rest of us, or some of us, and don't "feel our pain", so to speak, or even care to. Santorum appears to me to be at the perfect stage of his political career and life to be as ready as he'll ever be, and at the top of his game. I'll be interested in finding out exactly what positions he's taking on issues now. I've never been a fan of his, but while there are a lot of candidates to chose from, none are that appealing to me as a voter. Not sure I can pull the lever for any of them.

As far as the IQ comment(s), I was just mocking you a little for your comment directed at someone else regarding IQ. I've heard of internet tough guys, guess there are internet toughie IQ guys now too, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Some argue that "TRUE" conservatives won't vote for Trump. Probably. Trump is appealing to a tea party base, that is why he is currently leading. Realistically speaking, although I like everything he has to say, I don't think he is really "electable." Also, People are very angry and the people who are the most angry are actually the legal immigrants who see their jobs fleeing. He (Trump) wakes up the silent majority, and it is a good thing (or maybe a bad thing) for both parties. Honestly, at this very moment, the words trump used haven't turned me off, yet. but he should start paying some attention, the loser, total loser, baby personal attack need to stop.

Scott Walker, well, Remember how Herman Cain to Rick Santorum, had their days or weeks, but soon flamed out. He couldn't answer straight forward SIMPLE and EASY question like "evolution" LOL hahahah
Although he is relatively young (47 years old) To Millennials like us (me and others), he doesn't have any exciting things going for him. Walker May Win the GOP Nomination, but I doubt he would beat Hilary. He doesn't appear to be a very "mature" politician.

Santorum - He is appealing to the blue collar working class conservative, he could fail to make the cut for some Republican debates.

Ben Carson - Carson’s involvement in the race is a worthy pursuit, no more no less

Marco Rubio's immigration flip-flop is very much of a turn off. He doesn't appear to be a strong leader. And I am not trying to be mean, the "water bottle" incidence trump brought up is hilarious. Rubio looks like a little dork. I like the guy, maybe in 12 years, I would consider him.

The nation is more polarized now, Huckabee has very little room in 2016 race. He said his base is blue collar working class, well, I think santorum really appeals to this crowd (the blue collar working class), not huckabee.

Rand Paul - MANY people will give Dr. Paul a chance because they still have a love affair with Ron Paul.
His brand is neo-isolationism. He is my very very first choice because I like the neo isolationism idea. (especially to Muslim countries) It makes so much sense right now, but I doubt his idea can attract a majority of any electorate in any election.

He is a very classy guy, many young people like him and I am telling the truth.

This election will be either very exciting, or very boring (Bush vs Clinton again) People have to get excited about a nominee to be involved.

That being said, Hilary alone will excite a lot of low info voters (especially the young ones, people my age) They want their first female president, they will vote for this reason and this reason alone.

Young people will hit the polls in 2016, and they want Hillary | Fusion

The good news is that Half of millennials don't associate with Democrat or Republican. I know many millennials will vote republican just to keep Democrats out, but I know younger Americans Don’t Vote For Republicans To Be Governed By Democrats !!!!! The Republican majority congress FAILED to draw clear distinctions between themselves and Democrats. They SHOULD ALL BE FIRED.

Personal attack without real solution is such a GIANT TURN OFF.
I agree with most of what you said. The Republican controlled Congress let us down, proving the two party system is not working for 'the people', but for big money - corporations, etc. As much as I'd like to see them all fired, unfortunately we don't have a party that appeals to most voters to replace the old cronies with.

You mentioned young voters. It'll be interesting to see how many of them turn out in the primaries and the general election next year. Have to believe there'll be a drop off since Barry can't run again. But then again, would anyone be surprised if he tried to finagle a way to??? I don't see Hillary garnering that much young support.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
To ohio,

I like this quote

it's just better to zip the lip and listen to wise old sages who know what they are talking about.

Good post by the way.
Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Trump is not going away. I did not take him seriously until the last week or so.
I have no idea whether he would make a good president or a horrible one, but I think we need him to break the status quo. Our political system is broken. Both parties and their agendas suck. Politicians are supposed to work for and serve the people that elect them.
It has become the complete opposite. This country has become so divided. And also become a nation of sissies. Everything is offensive these days, it's ridiculous.
The U.S. needs its balls back.
I agree, however I'm going to be very careful with my vote. Voted for someone I shouldn't have in '92, and in 2008 I recall a lady I work with say she would be voting for Obama because she wanted to give him a chance and see what he could do. What he did, with the help of his friends in the Senate and House was create the ACA, which included the employer mandate which led to our company reducing hours down to 25, later raised to 28, and the laying off of more than 20 employees in operations, and about the same amount in other office staff - the ones who made better money. The lady who made that comment was one of the employees that lost their job. And the ACA was just one of our current president's mistakes.

Many of us our fed up with what we feel are corrupt political parties controlling politicians that are corrupted by their puppet masters. Can any of the candidates running this time break out of this mold? Will any of them have the courage to? Trump definitely does, but how much does he believe what he's campaigning on? There's a populist slant on his campaign, that sometimes proves to be a campaign tactic with politicians rather than letting people know what their true intentions are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections