Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM

325 posts, read 255,542 times

Advertisements

Bernie Sanders is just Howard Dean for 2016 - a temporary flirtation. Unlike Donald Trump, he will not offend 15% of the population or poison his party's chances to win the Presidency.

Flirting with the far-left loons is cute. Flirting with the far-right crazies is dangerous, and is on the verge of gift-wrapping this one for Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
92~93% of all Democrats and Republicans voted for their own party candidates.

93% of all blacks voted for Obama.

Your point is?

Mick
You make an inflammatory comment that "a lot" of white males say they voted for McCain and Romney because they are white, yet when blacks voting en masse for Obama, all of a sudden it's about party affiliation and not race?

A lot of whites voted for Obama because he was black, too. Probably a lot more than voted against him for that reason.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Does everyone forget about Bernie Sanders or something? Jeez, he is attracting tens of thousands to his rallies, even in red states like Arizona.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Kerry, Biden, and Gore aren't running.

Jim Webb is. He can easily beat any of the GOP candidates announced so far.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I'll answer your questions by question mark. I'm not a Democrat, but I am following both parties' primaries.

1) No, I don't see Trump winning the nomination. The smart money is still on Bush, but Trump will make things very difficult in the near term.

2) There's Clinton, Sanders, O'Malley, Webb, and Chafee in the running for the Dems. So five as of July 27, 2015.

3) I brought this up in another post, but I have a gut feeling that many Dems aren't voting for her because they really like her. They just see Clinton as the "best" way to keep the GOP out of the White House. It's strategic voting, a necessity in a winner-take-all plurality voting system.

4) There are four other candidates (see #2). Most of the Dems who aren't supporting Hillary are supporting Bernie Sanders, as are a few independents and a small number of Republicans. He's far, far behind in the polls at the moment, but the gap is slowly shrinking. The smart money is still on Clinton to win the nomination, barring a catastrophe.

5) I don't see John Kerry running.

6) Al Gore's done.

7) He won't. Good luck getting 38 states to ratify an amendment to allow Obama to run again. There are only fifteen months left, the GOP controls Congress and a majority of state legislatures, and most voters would disapprove of such an action. How would a third term for Obama happen in the face of such difficult odds?

But yes, it is a crazy mixed up world we live in.

- skbl17
I have said all along and I haven't changed my mind one bit: If we end up with a Bush/Clinton ticket we will end up with the smaller voter turnout in history.

And for those who think there will be enough support to allow a 3rd term possibilty for Obama, dream on; not enough time and certainly not enough support for that.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Maybe Al Sharpton will run again.

And what about former San Antonio mayor and current HUD Secretary Julian Castro?

I thought he was going to be the Next Big Thing for the Democrats.
Julian Castro, you can't be serious.. He has hardly gotten his feet wet; I can see him 8 years from now, but not in 2016. Al Sharpton, you are joking there as well, I am sure or I certainly hope you are.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Not a crazy idea, considering a lot of white males admitted voting for McCain and Romney because they are white.

Mick
Where in the heck did you get your information? I never saw any study or stats that indicated a lot of white men voted for McCain or Romney because they were white!!!! They may have not voted for Obama, but they didn't go out and indicate: I want to vote for so and so cause he is white.

You say, blacks are almost always Dem and most of us vote party line: that is true, but the difference is: more blacks voted in 2008 than usual, a much higher number; not quite so much in 2012, but still a higher % than normal. Why was this? We all know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections